OmerV

Spectator
Reaction score
Annnnnd... Nobody was asking you to.

Sorry dude - it's an open forum. If you post something you have to be prepared to get a response. If you can't live with that you should be talking to yourself.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Sorry dude - it's an open forum. If you post something you have to be prepared to get a response. If you can't live with that you should be talking to yourself.
Take your own advice. You didn't like it that I pointed out nobody asked you to be credulous?

The butthurt is strong with you.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
there is no validity to the idea that the team can't improve after drafting better players.
Nobody ever said that. You continue to argue against assertions no one has made. Erecting straw men.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Then how did we go from 4-12 to 13-3 after drafting Zeke and Dak? Garrett may be an obstacle, but there is no validity to the idea that the team can't improve after drafting better players.

Sure there is

Look at Garrett’s overall record. He currently has a winning percentage of .558. Up until 2016 he was one or two games above .500.

Garrett has had 7 drafts to acquire “better players” yet he barely has a winning record for his entire career.

Like I said

The players may change, but the results remain the same

The only reason Garrett didn’t go .500 again last season was because Philly was resting their players to make a run at the Super Bowl in the last game of the season. So we were playing their third stringers, and we BARELY won that game. (Which fucked our draft position by the way and was a game we should have lost)

The 13-3 season with Dak/Zeke is Garrett’s only real winning season. And that took a rookie QB who had the best rookie season of any QB an NFL history along with a rookie RB who led the league in rushing to do it.

Not counting his first season where he took over as HC mid way during the season Garrett has gone 8-8 3 times, 9-7 last season which should have been 8-8 had he not been gifted the Philly game, he went 12-4 followed by a 4-12 season which negate each other and come out to .500 again. So in all reality by the numbers Garrett has one single winning season as HC

Think of Garrett in golf terms. Jeruh can go out and buy Garrett the absolute best golf clubs on the planet. But he is still going to play up to his own potential.

If he is shitty golfer, giving him the best clubs isn’t going to make him a better golfer.

It’s just going to make him play with a shiny new set of clubs. But ultimately the results will end up the same. He’s gonna shank it into the water.

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Then how did we go from 4-12 to 13-3 after drafting Zeke and Dak? Garrett may be an obstacle, but there is no validity to the idea that the team can't improve after drafting better players.
You are starting to sound like an annual spring Kool-Aid drinker. I am not even going to go as far back as 1994 when all this shit started with Jerry's any of 500 coaches comment. Let's just stick to the Garrett era, you know two playoff appearances and one playoff win in eight years.

What magical thing is going to happen in the draft, free agency, or trades that will make this year any different than the past 8 years? Bare in mind they dont have a last place schedule and the Eagles, Vikings and Rams are certainly better run organizations, with better coaching staffs. And please no bull shit answers like it is a year to year league, or one of those teams will not make the playoffs based on historic data. In other words no blind homer talking points.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
As the Fonz would say, EXACTAMUNDO!

OmerV, get over yourself. I don't need your credence, nor did I ask for your validation of my opinion.

He's one sanctimonious word-salad spewing Captain Obvious asshat, thats for sure. Almost like Garrett himself is posting.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Any season with the fucking idiot Garrett on the sideline is a debacle in the making.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From a long article by NFL.com's Bucky Brooks on multiple topics (READ FULL ARTICLE HERE)

JERRY JONES IS RIGHT: Cowboys are legit contenders in NFC​

The football world snickered earlier this week when Jerry Jones suggested that the Dallas Cowboys weren't that far away from the Philadelphia Eagles, but the bodacious owner's assessment of his squad is on point.

"I think that if the gap is defined as them winning the Super Bowl and [us] not even getting in the playoffs, then we've got to close the gap," Jones said recently, via ESPN's Todd Archer. "I think that we should've been in the playoffs. We weren't. But I don't believe that us not being in the playoffs this past year is the size of the gap."

Guess what? He's right. The Cowboys are legitimate contenders in the NFC, with Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott buoying their chances of making a run at the title this season. Now, I know the Cowboys' overall performance is tied to more than just the play of No. 21 and No. 4, but the dynamic duo has the capacity to mask all of the flaws on the team's roster when they're on the field together. Just look at the numbers.

In 2016, the Cowboys surged to a 13-3 record behind an offense that averaged 26.3 points per game, surrendered just 19.1 points per game and owned a plus-5 advantage in turnover differential. Those numbers dipped in 2017 when Elliott missed six games due to suspension. The team finished with a 9-7 mark, scoring just 22.1 points per game, allowing 20.8 points per game and posting a minus-1 turnover differential.

Those numbers support the notion that the Cowboys are an offensive-minded squad fueled by the play of their QB1 and RB1. When Prescott and Elliott play well, the Cowboys are nearly unbeatable, and that's why the Jones isn't off base when he suggests his squad is right there with the Eagles.

"They've got a team that mirrors us in a lot of respects," Jones said. "I like a lot of things that we have that they have. We've got a running game, offense and quarterback that I'm so proud of for looking ahead and building off of. They probably have more, to say the least, they probably have more names on defense. When I say names, just say they probably have what we'd like to continue to get to. But we've got some guys that I think we can get to there."

Say what you want about the saltiness of his commentary, Jones hit the nail on the head when assessing his squad. If the Cowboys' offensive stars show up in 2018, Dallas could be the last team standing at the end of the tournament.

Looking at Prescott's performance the past two seasons, it is apparent the Cowboys' young QB1 is capable of getting it done. He won the 2016 Offensive Rookie of the Year after posting a 104.9 passer rating and a 23:4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Although Prescott's production declined a bit in 2017, he certainly didn't play as poorly as the narrative suggests, posting a respectable 86.6 passer rating and 22:13 TD-to-INT ratio. Sure, those numbers aren't exactly eye-popping, but he played without his RB1 and left tackle for a significant portion of the season.

Think about it this way: If you take the top offensive threat and blindside protector away from most of the NFL's QB1s, they would struggle. Prescott is no different. He needs No. 21 behind him to dictate the terms to the defense, particularly in a scheme that wasn't designed with Prescott in mind. Remember, Stephen Jones referenced this point early in the offseason when he said the Cowboys were going to make the offense more "Dak-friendly."

"Everybody here is all-in in terms of their belief that Dak can be a great player in this league and will be," Stephen Jones said on 105.3 The Fan's Ben and Skin show. "How do we put concepts in place, how do we put a system in place that fits his skills? Obviously, it worked out great even though we were predominantly running a Romo-friendly offense with a few wrinkles that took advantage of Dak being young and fresh-legged and being able to have the mobility that he had.

"We were able to do that, but I think as we move forward, we have to really go in and critique and make sure that our concepts and what we're doing offensively give Dak every opportunity to utilize his skill set and get the most out of him."

With that in mind, Prescott will likely regain his Pro Bowl form in an offense designed to accentuate his strengths as a dual-threat play maker. He can torment opponents executing RPOs, play-action passes, options and quarterback-designed runs with the threat of Elliott running between the tackles. The thought of No. 21 running inside is enough to make a handful of defenders pause, which creates bigger passing and running lanes for Prescott.

That brings me back to Elliott and his importance to the squad. The 2016 NFL rushing leader averaged 108.7 rushing yards on 21.5 attempts (5.1 yards per carry) with 15 rushing touchdowns as a rookie. Although his production dipped in 2017, he still averaged 98.3 rushing yards per game on 24.2 rushing attempts (4.1 yards per carry) with seven rushing touchdowns in 10 games. Elliott's rushing yards per game led the league, with Todd Gurley (87.0), Le'Veon Bell (86.1) and Kareem Hunt (82.9) well off the pace.

Thus, it's not a coincidence the Cowboys' offensive performance suffered when he served a six-game suspension from Weeks 10 to 15. During that span, the Cowboys' offense not only averaged 6.1 fewer points (from 24.4 to 18.3) but fewer total yards (from 354.7 to 294.0), rushing yards (from 144.2 to 121.3) and passing yards (from 210.5 to 172.7) when compared with the 10 games Zeke played.

That huge dip in production explains why Jones is so optimistic the Cowboys are right there with the Eagles. With Elliott on the field, the Cowboys are a more explosive and dynamic offense. No. 21 sets the table for the entire unit, including the QB1, and allows the team to employ a keep-away strategy (dominate time of possession and reduce the defense's exposure) that led to plenty of W's in 2016.

While everyone has pegged the Eagles and others as the runaway winners in the NFC East, the Cowboys are more than capable of winning the division if they lean on their offensive stars and stick to the blueprint that neutralizes the so-called talent disparity between them and their rivals.

Reaction score
The problem with that article is that the team was still a dumpster fire down the stretch when Zeke came back. A little less of a dumpster fire, but still. They shit the bed when it mattered (like always) in the Seattle game against a team begging to get blown out.

The win over the Raiders was a cosmic fluke, otherwise they blow that one too. It was a gift.

Then, in only Dallas Clown Shoes fashion, we can't win for losing as the team hamstrings itself in the draft by winning a game they should have tanked.

Also, I have a hell of a time summoning the cognitive dissonance required to believe a team that has not been in a conference title game in nearly a quarter of a century are contenders.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The problem with that article is that the team was still a dumpster fire down the stretch when Zeke came back. A little less of a dumpster fire, but still. They shit the bed when it mattered (like always) in the Seattle game against a team begging to get blown out.

The win over the Raiders was a cosmic fluke, otherwise they blow that one too. It was a gift.

Then, in only Dallas Clown Shoes fashion, we can't win for losing as the team hamstrings itself in the draft by winning a game they should have tanked.

Also, I have a hell of a time summoning the cognitive dissonance required to believe a team that has not been in a conference title game in nearly a quarter of a century are contenders.

Yep, all valid points

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah supposedly Favre bombed his audition badly and now BSPN is looking for others..

I posted a blurb a few days ago about FOX not only wanted him a couple months ago, but that Witten just recently went for an audition. If Witten were 100% committed to playing this year, I don't see why he'd waste his or FOX's time by auditioning now.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If Witten were 100% committed to playing this year, I don't see why he'd waste his or FOX's time by auditioning now
Yep auditioning this close to the season shows he is obviously not all in, and he doesnt strike me as the type to try get of camp, practice, etc or use leverage for more money. Could be in his mind he knows that there is no way this team is going to make much noise this year, and now is as good a time as any to walk away relatively healthy after 15 years of pro football. The HOF beckons in 5 years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep auditioning this close to the season shows he is obviously not all in, and he doesnt strike me as the type to try get of camp, practice, etc or use leverage for more money. Could be in his mind he knows that there is no way this team is going to make much noise this year, and now is as good a time as any to walk away relatively healthy after 15 years of pro football. The HOF beckons in 5 years.

Jason Witten Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Unless I am not totally understanding this, it almost looks like he could be released or retire after June 1st THIS year, and we only have 1.175 mils in dead money on the cap because of it. His cap charge for the 2018 season if they do nothing is now under 3mils.

Maybe he's told them behind the scenes if they can draft his replacement, he intends to walk away before training camp.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But

But

But

We have Rico Gathers and Hanna and Swaim and .....

Top Bottom