bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
for the love of God, don't draft a TE in the first two rounds until Witten stands at a podium and announces his retirement. fool me once ...

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah supposedly Favre bombed his audition badly and now BSPN is looking for others..

I posted a blurb a few days ago about FOX not only wanted him a couple months ago, but that Witten just recently went for an audition. If Witten were 100% committed to playing this year, I don't see why he'd waste his or FOX's time by auditioning now.

i think you guys are all over reacting

witten could have done the interview just to help himself get his foot in the door for a job a few yrs down the road.

or he could just be interested in "the process" because we all kno how smitten big witten is for a good process.

mayb witten is diong it just to do it and see if it would ever interest him at all in the future?

who the hell knows,
but planning for the future does not mean you are not all-in on the present. how hard is it to practice 4 yd curls anyway

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jason Witten Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Unless I am not totally understanding this, it almost looks like he could be released or retire after June 1st THIS year, and we only have 1.175 mils in dead money on the cap because of it. His cap charge for the 2018 season if they do nothing is now under 3mils.

Maybe he's told them behind the scenes if they can draft his replacement, he intends to walk away before training camp.

Jason Witten Contract Details, Salary Cap Breakdowns, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

I'm seeing something slightly different. According to this he is almost a 3.4M cap hit with a 4.7M dead cap. A post June 1st cut would spread out 4.7M over two years.

Reaction score
A true Machiavellian owner/GM would use this year to cut a bunch of bad contracts, use that as an excuse to tank the season for good draft position, and as an excuse to fire the coaching staff, thus getting a fresh start with plenty of cap space and high draft slots.

Yeah, yeah, I'm basically playing D&D with football in this regard, but fantasy is all I have left.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
for the love of God, don't draft a TE in the first two rounds until Witten stands at a podium and announces his retirement. fool me once ...

It's possible that he's told them that's what he intends to do.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If they cut #82 that will show that the team is all in on the out with the old and in with the new theme

Hopefully Baby Jeruh’s finally convinced the old man that there is no need to be loyal to the old timers who have been here forever but are no longer productive. First Romo, then Dez, and now possibly Witten.

Maybe Jeruh has cancer and is about to die soon so they are trying to get err done before he kicks the bucket!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm seeing something slightly different. According to this he is almost a 3.4M cap hit with a 4.7M dead cap. A post June 1st cut would spread out 4.7M over two years.
That's not updated with the extension we recently did on Witten though.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
A true competent owner/GM would use this year to cut a bunch of bad contracts, use that as an excuse to tank the season for good draft position, and as an excuse to fire the coaching staff, thus getting a fresh start with plenty of cap space and high draft slots.

Yeah, yeah, I'm basically playing D&D with football in this regard, but fantasy is all I have left.
Fixed your post for you.:tiphat

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know the Jets suck, but I think they can beat the Detroit Tigers. How embarrassing. Dogs to a baseball team.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hanna released/ retired, knee condition. So a TE that can block becomes a priority next week.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Cowboys will place James Hanna on the reserve/retired list as the tight end could not get over a serious knee condition that troubled him for most of the last two seasons, according to sources. Hanna was not involved in the early part of the team’s offseason program

Now we know why he wasn't released sooner. We save a couple million on the cap I believe with this news.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Now we know why he wasn't released sooner. We save a couple million on the cap I believe with this news.

The article on this that I posted in the cuts, signings thread stated that it frees up over $3m which will bring our total cap space to $16m after June 1st.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep, Stevie is a cracker jack football guy, just like the old man.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Love to know what Krzyzewski is really thinking.

Top Bottom