NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
David Irving writes on Instagram: “Every game you seen me play in, I was medicated”

Just over two months ago, Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle David Irving was suspended for four games for violating the NFL’s policy on substance abuse. Shortly after, it was reported that he wouldn’t be attending the Oxnard portion of training camp with the team due to being at a rehab facility.

There was never any public declaration of exactly which substance David Irving had been involved with, until Friday evening when he announced it on his own Instagram page.

Social media hasn’t been too kind to Irving over the last several months. Back in April his Twitter account was hacked and a lot of accusations were thrown his way (these were later recanted).

Irving hasn’t commented publicly in some time, and his last Instagram post prior to Friday was all the way back on July 19, just after he had been suspended. His emergence in any public forum sparked discussion from many people on his Instagram page to the point that he engaged a few of them on the post.

Warning: There is offensive and NSFW language. We generally don’t post this kind of language but we’re making an exception for clarity in this article.

Irving engaged several users throughout the post (which you can view right here), this particular example is just one of the many interactions throughout it. In this comment Irving describes what he’s been prescribed, his past, his stance on the NFL’s policy concerning marijuana, and says he’s been “medicated” in “every game [we’ve] seen him play,” among other things.

Irving does note throughout the post that he will be back by Week 5 and “won’t disappoint” so he’s seemingly planning on being available immediately following his suspension.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...very-game-you-seen-me-play-in-i-was-medicated

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I cant get the stuff from his instagram to load where he talks about smoking weed since he was 12 and the NFL policies are BS.

Its in the Blogging the Boys article if you click on the link

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
A Cowboys call to David Irving - from the path of Randy Gregory

OXNARD - It's one of the most unforgiving rules of football: "We only talk about the players who are with us.'' Out of sight, out of mind. That sort of thing.

David Irving is out of sight, having not joined the Dallas Cowboys at training camp in Oxnard, after spending most of the spring not joining them, either, and with a looming four-game suspension due to an NFL drug-program violation, not allowed to join them in the fall, either.

But I contend that the so-far-successful path navigated by Randy Gregory can be the trail that Irving follows as well. ... a path that brings him back into sight, back into mind.

Gregory, of course, is in the process of overcoming two years of drug-program suspension. He's back with the Cowboys now and doing well as a pass-rusher exhibiting the sort of talent that made him a blue-chip talent in the 2015 NFL Draft. He credits his comeback, in part, not only to therapy and medication, but also to people who cared.

"I think they (the Cowboys) believe in me,'' Gregory says. "First and foremost, I think they like me as a player and a person. ... They realized I was a person in need. And sticking by me through that tough part has worked. I've had a lot of support from players, coaches, the Jones family, and even fans.''

In Gregory's case, we're talking about two years of work, and an especially intense six months of effort before finally being reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Countless hours. A complete re-education regarding how to accept himself and how to forge his own happiness. A devotion to fatherhood (baby Sophia turns 2 in September). A need for loving support (that in Gregory's case, extended all the way to Hollywood with the presence of actor Sir Anthony Hopkins.)

Sound at all familiar?

Like Gregory, Irving is a young father. (Zoe is 5, and was the focus of a custody battle that was a huge part of his tumultuous offseason.) Like Gregory, Irving can be categorized by friends and loved ones as "misunderstood,'' though I would contend that sometimes Randy and David have been the ones "misunderstanding,'' too. Somewhere in here -- as all of us have brains that are wired differently than all the rest -- there can be issues not just with drugs (used as coping tools or otherwise) but also with mood problems, learning differences, social disorders. ...

Irving has Gregory-like talent. But he also has Gregory-like challenges. Amid the many reports that claim his problem is drug-related, I'm told his "rehab'' is more about working on the psychological and emotional side. ... just as much of Gregory's rehab work was.

"David Irving is dealing with off-the-field issues," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said to open camp. "By agreement and by design, he is not here ... He is addressing his issues and they are ongoing.''

People within Irving's circle tell me that he is doing well, physically and psychologically. ... and that it would be a mistake to give up on him. Nevertheless, maybe the Cowboys are right in taking the out-of-sight/out-of-mind approach, because as Irving's teammates will say privately, he's difficult to rely on. Others might think the Cowboys should pour unlimited resources into helping Irving, basically "forcing'' help upon him.

Or maybe the answer exists somewhere in the middle, contact with a peer who "gets it,'' with a peer who doesn't want anything from Irving, with a peer who is only technically a teammate of his because the "paths'' they've traveled in the last couple of years have rarely crossed.

Maybe Randy Gregory is the guy who should call David Irving to offer support.

And maybe that's why Randy Gregory has already made that call.

A Dallas Cowboys call to David Irving ... from the path being traveled by Randy Gregory

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
A Cowboys call to David Irving - from the path of Randy Gregory ...Gregory, of course, is in the process of overcoming two years of drug-program suspension. He's back with the Cowboys now and doing well as a pass-rusher
What's Gregory done exactly? Jack shit. Suiting up is "doing well?"

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
At what point do we just fucking CUT people?

When they have no talent and are stupid. Just stupid is fine as long as Jerry thinks he might get a sack or two.

But yeah... Irving has to be one of the top-five dumbest players in the Jerry era. And that's saying something.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Remember when....
1794727dc9c71da383ca2edc97ae742c.png

We didn’t suck?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Barry ain't there. Maybe you're mistaking Tex for him?

Hahaha

You are correct sir! That’s what I get for looking at it on my phone only

I thought it strange that they would include Switzer for any reason

Top Bottom