Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was widely reported back then that Ryan was pushing hard for the Cowboys to sign Carr and go up and get Claiborne in the draft.

Did he make the final decision on either? No, obviously not. Did he have an impact on how they ended up here, yes absolutely he did. He reportedly begged Jones and Garrett to invest heavily in the CB position to make his scheme work.

So a DC telling ownership he needs talent is something new? Say it ain't so. But the Cowboys moving up to get Claiborne has nothing to do with Ryan and everything to do with the GM and personnel folks not properly evaluating the player. And Rob had so much influence on drafting that the Cowboys took an OL (Smith) in Rob's first year/draft after being hired. And he needed DB's so bad that they waited until the 5th round to get a DB and they only took 2 defensive players out of 7 in 2011. Yeah boy, that Rob Ryan sure has a way about influencing ownership.

The Claiborne pick was asinine. It came completely out of left field. It's just part of an ongoing pattern about what's wrong with this team.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Bottom line: Fat Rob and Jason the weasel were both salesmen selling our wannabe GM on what they can do and what they need. So far they are equally bad coaches but red is the much better salesman.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Bottom line: Fat Rob and Jason the weasel were both salesmen selling our wannabe GM on what they can do and what they need. So far they are equally bad coaches but red is the much better salesman.

Buddy Ryan and his spawns are not near the top of my list of people I like or respect but Id rather have Rob Ryan around than Red.

Reaction score
Deion actually was a shut down corner and elite athlete. He couldnt tackle either but thats fine if you are taking the other teams #1 receiver out of the game. I also believe Claiborne had an injury history that was over looked as well.

As bad as Deion was as a tackler, he was still better than Claiborne. A small concession for perhaps the greatest shut down corner of all time as well as one of the greatest punt/kick returners. Claiborne had zero strengths. Was horrible as a tackler, shut nobody down, and virtually never intercepted a pass. I still regard him as the biggest draft bust in team history.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello. Therein lies the problem with a GM that doesnt know what the fuck he is doing. Claiborne had a nice season at LSU before he was drafted but he did not test as an elite athlete, he didnt make plays, and didnt tackle. If they had a GM that watched 5 seconds of film or had a clue at what he was looking at they wouldnt have traded up for Claibone. Add that defenses are built front to back instead of vice/ versa, to take those picks and add them to the front 7 would have been 100% better use of assets.

As a guy who watched a lot of SEC football, the above isn't exactly accurate.

We can all be disappointed with how he turned out, but he was a great player at LSU and he made a ton of plays there for them. He had 5 picks one season and 6 the next.

It was a virtual consensus that he was the top DB in that draft, a lock to be a top-10 pick and many draft gurus had him as the top defensive player in that draft. We weren't the only team wrong about him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Claiborne pick was asinine. It came completely out of left field. It's just part of an ongoing pattern about what's wrong with this team.

It really didn't come out of left field dip wad. The DC begged them to go get the guy.

They had a board of players ranked and he was the top DB and top defensive player on their board. The trade up with the Rams also came at a virtual bargain that year too (only costing a 2nd to go from 14 to 6) and they admitted that was a big part of their thinking.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Buddy Ryan and his spawns are not near the top of my list of people I like or respect but Id rather have Rob Ryan around than Red.

You're comparing horse shit and cow shit. They may look different, but both are still shit.

That said, Rob Ryan was a worse coach than Garrett IMO

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
You're comparing horse shit and cow shit. They may look different, but both are still shit.

That said, Rob Ryan was a worse coach than Garrett IMO

Garrett is a fraud. World class BSer. Intentionally presents himself as something he isnt. Always skating along at the expense of others. While I dont want either at least with Rob you know what he is. People like Garrett are the people I despise the most.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It really didn't come out of left field dip wad. The DC begged them to go get the guy.

They had a board of players ranked and he was the top DB and top defensive player on their board. The trade up with the Rams also came at a virtual bargain that year too (only costing a 2nd to go from 14 to 6) and they admitted that was a big part of their thinking.

Show me one post where you or anyone else pimped this guy or thought we should move up to get him. I'll wait.

I don't even think the guy came in for a visit. Moving up for Claiborne surprised everyone. And can you point to me where the DC begged the team to trade up? You come up with this stuff right out of your ass. And I know what we gave up for him and the idea that it was a "cheap" trade up but no one had us targeting this guy.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Garrett is a fraud. World class BSer. Intentionally presents himself as something he isnt. Always skating along at the expense of others. While I dont want either at least with Rob you know what he is. People like Garrett are the people I despise the most.

Of course he is (a fraud). It's obvious to anyone who isn't choking on Garrett's cock. There's a lot of players and coaches who have been sacrificial lambs and scapegoats so Garrett can keep his job.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't even think the guy came in for a visit.

he didnt

How did it come together? What kind of homework went into such a blockbuster deal? How much investigating had Dallas done with Claiborne in order to make such a move?

Well, almost none.

Assistant secondary coach Joe Baker spoke with him at the NFL Scouting Combine, and so did some Cowboys scouts. But there was no Valley Ranch visit, no private workout, no extensive tests. There was no warning. No extra medical attention, even though Claiborne has a torn wrist ligament that knocks him out of Organized Team Activities.

Nothing.

"We didn't talk," said Claiborne, the 5-foot-11, 188-pound Shreveport, La., native who was a consensus All-American. "None. Not at all. That's why I was so shocked when I got the phone call."

Last edited:

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
wow joe baker lasted a while huh?

especially for a coach who had his flawed scheme called out on a TV special

good thing the PR police in dallas are always ready to spin the message to "wow look how brilliant sean lee is--he's like having another coach on the field"

....except lee seems to know more about football than his coaches

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Show me one post where you or anyone else pimped this guy or thought we should move up to get him. I'll wait.

I don't even think the guy came in for a visit. Moving up for Claiborne surprised everyone. And can you point to me where the DC begged the team to trade up? You come up with this stuff right out of your ass. And I know what we gave up for him and the idea that it was a "cheap" trade up but no one had us targeting this guy.

He didn't come in for a visit and nobody was "pimping" him, because nobody in their right mind believed we had a chance to draft him. Nobody knew the Rams would take a massive discount to move down.

Ryan begged the team for impact CB's, it's well documented. It was also well documented at the time that Ryan loved Claiborne in that draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Great find Yimmy and thanks a million. That's what I recall. The whole thing just came out of left field.

Dude, it's beyond retarded to think they didn't know anything about Morris Claiborne, who was rated by everyone as a top-10, or even top-5 talent level pick.

The only part that was "out of left field" about it is they were drafting 14th and assumed they had no chance to pick the guy all along. No fans did either.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ryan begged the team for impact CB's, it's well documented. It was also well documented at the time that Ryan loved Claiborne in that draft.

See Yimmy's post above. Ryan loved Claiborne even though he never worked him out, no testing, no nothing. Everyone was surprised except for you....even Claiborne.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dude, it's beyond retarded to think they didn't know anything about Morris Claiborne, who was rated by everyone as a top-10, or even top-5 talent level pick.

The only part that was "out of left field" about it is they were drafting 14th and assumed they had no chance to pick the guy all along. No fans did either.

You're the one making a ton of assumptions, not the least of which is claiming you know what Rob Ryan was thinking or how he felt about Claiborne and that he had some sway with the GM/Owner to convince them to move up for a guy they never interviewed, tested or worked out.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant arrested in DeSoto on family violence charge
Jul 2012
Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant was arrested Monday by DeSoto police on a family violence charge.

Details about the criminal allegations were unavailable, but officials at the DeSoto jail said the incident occurred Saturday, when officers took a report from the alleged victim.

Detectives followed up and obtained an arrest warrant Monday for a class A misdemeanor.

Bryant turned himself in to police Monday and posted bond.

Bryant confirmed to WFAA-TV that there had been an incident, but he declined to go into detail.

"I'm good, I'm good," he told WFAA.

On Monday, Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said, "We are in the process of gathering information and will not have a comment at this time."

Drew Rosenhaus, Bryant's agent, also had no comment when reached Monday evening.

This is the second time in six months that Bryant has had a run-in with the law. Back in January, he was involved in an altercation outside a Miami nightclub and was detained by police but not arrested.

Bryant was also been named in multiple lawsuits regarding unpaid jewelry debts of more than $500 thousand last year, and was kicked out of NorthPark Center and temporarily banned in March 2011 for inappropriate attire.

In November, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones addressed Bryant's inconsistency both on and off the football field.

"He has been frustrating and he has been elating," Jones said. "It’s exactly what we thought when we drafted him right to the T. And so if we didn’t plan on having a little frustration we should have gone a different direction. No surprises with him."

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i aint sayin nothin .......but alls im sayin is:

Top Bottom