Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not only that, but they probably didn't want anymore of the destructive personality swaying any more players or distracting them from actually trying to do the right things.
A antipollution kind of cut.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think someone posted this clip after we signed Hurns, but this is what a SMART player does:

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
If Dez does well somewhere else it will make Garrett look bad because he wasnt able to get the same production out of Dez. In other words if Red couldnt get the production out of Dez but another coach is able to it shines a light on Red's incompetence.

Will it happen? Who knows but I wouldnt be surprised in the least to see Dez do better somewhere else than he did in Dallas.

Do I think Dez is very bright? No Do I think he mastered his craft and worked on his game to improve as his physical attributes declined? No Do I blame Garrett for that? No If Dez does better somewhere else will I blame Garrett for not being able to get the same production? YES

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If Dez does better somewhere else will I blame Garrett for not being able to get the same production? YES
And there's nothing wrong with that. Personally I don't really see it that way - Dez's troubles are of his own making - but your opinion is reasonable. I blame Dez 99 percent, the red clown 1 percent. (If he does well elsewhere) I think that's just as reasonable.

It's far more likely that if he does do better elsewhere, it's going to be commiserate with his effort more than anything to do with coaching.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Dez does well somewhere else it will make Garrett look bad because he wasnt able to get the same production out of Dez. In other words if Red couldnt get the production out of Dez but another coach is able to it shines a light on Red's incompetence.

Will it happen? Who knows but I wouldnt be surprised in the least to see Dez do better somewhere else than he did in Dallas.

Do I think Dez is very bright? No Do I think he mastered his craft and worked on his game to improve as his physical attributes declined? No Do I blame Garrett for that? No If Dez does better somewhere else will I blame Garrett for not being able to get the same production? YES

You're a good DCU-er amigo, but there's a reason why this is BS

His first two years in the league he showed a ton of promise, then his 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons were outstanding. He was voted to probowls and even 1st team All Pro. Same coach those years as the guy on the sideline today.

What was different? He got paid a mega deal and daddy Jerruh the enabler gave him all the rope he wanted.

And he finally hung himself with all that rope.

He goes elsewhere and produces, it's almost 100% validation that Dez skated these past 3 years. Hell Dez even ADNMITTED as much in some of his post cut comments.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And there's nothing wrong with that. Personally I don't really see it that way - Dez's troubles are of his own making - but your opinion is reasonable. I blame Dez 99 percent, the red clown 1 percent. (If he does well elsewhere) I think that's just as reasonable.

It's far more likely that if he does do better elsewhere, it's going to be commiserate with his effort more than anything to do with coaching.

Yep, 100% agree

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Maybe getting cut will motivate Dez to work at his craft. And I think in fairness his tweets could just as easily been taken as he is motivated now more than ever before to prove everyone wrong. I could be wrong here but I always felt Dez's problems have been his lack of intelligence much more than lack of effort. And as far as any blame on Garrett, its his total lack of creativity that makes me think he was unable or unwilling to adjust as a coach to use Dez in different ways that would be better suited to his decline after the Jones fracture. And if Red is the great motivator that some claim he is he should have been able to get Dez to work at adjusting his game to whatever strengths he still had as a WR. Im not giving Dez a pass but a good coach will adjust and Garrett just cant seem to make any adjustments to anything to help his team get the most out of what they have.

Just my perspective.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dez wouldn’t be working with a route guru this off season if he didn’t realize he still sucks at running routes after 8 years in the league, 4 years of college, and four years of HS football

16 years (or more) of football and he still can’t run routes effectively

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dez wouldn’t be working with a route guru this off season if he didn’t realize he still sucks at running routes after 8 years in the league, 4 years of college, and four years of HS football

16 years (or more) of football and he still can’t run routes effectively

And apparently this still hasn't happened.

Makes you wonder if some of it was lip service on his part because he knew the coaches wanted him gone.

Reaction score
16 million annually wasn't enough motivation.

This was the low intelligence factor at play, and is why I would not want any Wonderlic Morons on my roster regardless of talent. I need to research things somewhat if I can get the motivation (16 million WOULD help in my case) to see if there is a correspondence between Wonderlic Morons and contract year athletes who check out once the big payday comes.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This was the low intelligence factor at play, and is why I would not want any Wonderlic Morons on my roster regardless of talent. I need to research things somewhat if I can get the motivation (16 million WOULD help in my case) to see if there is a correspondence between Wonderlic Morons and contract year athletes who check out once the big payday comes.
I think that's lack of character more than lack of basic intelligence. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

But yeah, it does seem Jerry has worked for the last 22 years to prove Jimmy wrong, he seems to think dumb players can be instrumental in winning Lombardis!

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

That would be an interesting stat to have access to

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's clear there isn't that much interest in him, or he would have been snatched up the moment he was released. He's going to get signed eventually, but at a far lower price tag.

Then again, the league looks to be moving away from head cases and trouble makers. Just ask Eric Reid and Colon Kaeperdick.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he doesn't get signed to another NFL team as a player.

No telling re: employment overall. I hear Starbucks is hiring black people now in response to their recent gaffe.

Both of you guys are kidding yourselves. Dez is going to get signed and it'll be on the cheap but he's going to play. Teams may even wait until after the draft to see where they stand at the position but he'll be on a team in 2018.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dez's troubles are of his own making - but your opinion is reasonable. I blame Dez 99 percent, the red clown 1 percent. (If he does well elsewhere) I think that's just as reasonable.

Dez has been here for 8 years. His issues with "route running," if that was truly an issue, didn't just pop up two years ago. Players like Dez need to be coached. They also need to respect their coach and that coach has to earn their respect.

The fact that this team signed him to a monster contract tells me that a lot of this route running stuff is BS. Garrett failed Dez. Even Jerry coddling Dez didn't do Dez any favors with a HC like Garrett. When Dez had a QB who could throw him the rock with some accuracy, he was "passionate" and the only guy on the team who cared. Yes, I read that and I'm pretty sure I read it here. Folks may not like the elephant in the room but but I wonder how much of it was Dez and how much of it was Dak's inability to get him the football. I don't excuse Dez but a new QB may have also had an impact. He seemed to run routes adequately in the past.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
His first two years in the league he showed a ton of promise, then his 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons were outstanding. He was voted to probowls and even 1st team All Pro. Same coach those years as the guy on the sideline today.

What was different? He got paid a mega deal and daddy Jerruh the enabler gave him all the rope he wanted.

He also got a new QB. Did he run poor routes when he had those monster years?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Both of you guys are kidding yourselves. Dez is going to get signed and it'll be on the cheap but he's going to play. Teams may even wait until after the draft to see where they stand at the position but he'll be on a team in 2018.
If a team loses a key guy to injury in camp I could see it as a desperation hole-filler. Dez has lost most of any upside he had, for reasons not the least of which is his trick knee. There's just not a huge market for a mostly washed-up head case diva WR, especially with most of the FA signing money all dried up at this point.

I would not be surprised either way, what would surprise me and even shock the hell out of me is if someone signed him for more than a few million on a one-year deal. Veteran's minimum would be more like it.

Let's not pretend he brings something to the table most teams don't already have or can get without all the baggage. He's simply not all that special and wasn't when we gave him that nonsensical long term contract without even letting him test the market.

Top Bottom