NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't think he's top tier either and it's questionable if he was ever a truly top tier WR; he disappeared for long stretches and it would drive me nuts when folks would compare him to Irvin. They're not even in the same area code.

Having said that, he's still better than the scrubs we currently have on our team barring the new signings. I can't say I know too much about them. This team and has positioned itself to be worse off at the receiving position after releasing Bryant and that was almost impossible to do. Rico Gathers.........Jesus people....get real.

Its the Process. But the Process seems to be rudderless.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think he's top tier either and it's questionable if he was ever a truly top tier WR; he disappeared for long stretches and it would drive me nuts when folks would compare him to Irvin. They're not even in the same area code.

Having said that, he's still better than the scrubs we currently have on our team barring the new signings. I can't say I know too much about them. This team and has positioned itself to be worse off at the receiving position after releasing Bryant and that was almost impossible to do. Rico Gathers.........Jesus people....get real.

I know he's the bigger name and the more proven guy, at this point I cant say for sure that he is definitely "better" than what we have.

We really need people that can run good routes and get open, and he obviously isn't that anymore.

I think Beasley is gone either during the draft ir right after it, and depending on what happens with the draft and into camp I can actually see Terrance Williams being gone too. A complete rebuild of the WR position in 1+ years.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

Yeah... We didn't cut Dez thinking we are covered at wideout. We didn't think we were improving the position. This was a chemistry cut, the stitching of an open oozing wound. It started getting infected when we gave the fuck long term residence. It took the body three years to finally get the clue.

Nobody says or even thinks for a second we're better at the position for cutting Dez. That's a total false premise. But it doesn't hurt us all that much either. Yes, that is how useless he made himself.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I know he's the bigger name and the more proven guy, at this point I cant say for sure that he is definitely "better" than what we have.

We really need people that can run good routes and get open, and he obviously isn't that anymore.

I think Beasley is gone either during the draft ir right after it, and depending on what happens with the draft and into camp I can actually see Terrance Williams being gone too. A complete rebuild of the WR position in 1+ years.

I think Beasley is gone too. Looks like they won’t be able to get out from under TWill’s contract until next year. Then they would only take a $2.5 mil cap hit by cutting him. The cap hit for cutting/trading Beasley is only $1 mil this season.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think Beasley is gone too. Looks like they won’t be able to get out from under TWill’s contract until next year. Then they would only take a $2.5 mil cap hit by cutting him. The cap hit for cutting/trading Beasley is only $1 mil this season.

You're right about TWill, just not too sure about Beasley. The 'boys don't need that cap space and he's only a 4.2M cap hit this year. Do you think they're going to make any trade or sign any FAs where the cap space is needed? I think it's obvious Dallas isn't going for Earl Thomas or they wouldn't be paying Byron Jones 9M for this season. As of right now and including the projected draft picks the 'boys are set. No need to shed anymore WRs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You're right about TWill, just not too sure about Beasley. The 'boys don't need that cap space and he's only a 4.2M cap hit this year. Do you think they're going to make any trade or sign any FAs where the cap space is needed? I think it's obvious Dallas isn't going for Earl Thomas or they wouldn't be paying Byron Jones 9M for this season. As of right now and including the projected draft picks the 'boys are set. No need to shed anymore WRs.

Don't know where you got the idea Byron Jones was getting 9 mils for this season. His salary is just over a million and he counts a total of 2.7mils on the cap for us this year. Plus they moved him to CB, so not sure why you think that would prevent us from going after a guy to play FS.

Beasley will get waxed because he isn't worth 4.2 mils.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

No I don’t see them making any other significant FA signings or trades. They will just add through the draft or look to sign young undrafted guys. I just think Stephen sees Switzer as a cheaper younger version of Beasley making him expendable.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Don't know where you got the idea Byron Jones was getting 9 mils for this season. His salary is just over a million and he counts a total of 2.7mils on the cap for us this year. Plus they moved him to CB, so not sure why you think that would prevent us from going after a guy to play FS.

Do you think they trade for Earl? I still think if Derwin James falls to the 12-15 range they’re going to trade up to get him.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Do you think they trade for Earl? I still think if Derwin James falls to the 12-15 range they’re going to trade up to get him.

I would rather have James on a rookie contract for 4-5 years than over paying Thomas at 29-30 years old for a couple more years

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I have no idea.

He'd add a lot to the team and be a tremendous leader for all our young DB's, so it's hard not to want him.

That said if we had to give anything more than a mid rd pick this yr and next yr (or maybe a mid rd pick and a player like Heath or Beasley) then I probably wouldn't want to trade for him.

He has a lot of leverage though and could make a trade for him affordable for us. He's going into the last year of his deal and any team that would want to make a trade would almost assuredly want to negotiate a contract extension first. If he REALLY wants to facilitate a trade to Dallas he could simply refuse any new contract talks and really limit Seattle's market for him.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

I was looking at the wrong year, 2019. His total earnings I think.

I'm all for it as long as they do something with the extra 3.2M. Otherwise I don't think it would be a good idea to be dropping another WR when it isn't necessary. Injuries happen.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Alex Marvez on Fox Sports radio a few hours ago said he thought Dez would at some point end up on the 4skins FWIW. He didnt elaborate on why he thought this.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I would rather have James on a rookie contract for 4-5 years than over paying Thomas at 29-30 years old for a couple more years

I dont want to pay Earl and I dont want to draft James. I certainly dont want to trade up for him. Honestly if they take him at 19 I'd like to see him tried at WILL. I see the front 7 on defense as a high priority problem and if he could help there I'd like the pick a whole lot better. If they are still going to play the Kiffin/ Marinelli defense again this year, the Derek Brooks position is one of the key positions on that defense.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I dont want to pay Earl and I dont want to draft James. I certainly dont want to trade up for him. Honestly if they take him at 19 I'd like to see him tried at WILL. I see the front 7 on defense as a high priority problem and if he could help there I'd like the pick a whole lot better. If they are still going to play the Kiffin/ Marinelli defense again this year, the Derek Brooks position is one of the key positions on that defense.

What’s your plan at safety now that Jones has moved back to corner?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

I think they draft another one mid rounds. There is Tavarius Moore Safety out of Southern Miss who runs a 4.32 that they supposedly really like around pick 80 and a few others in that area of the draft. Worst case I'd run Woods out there again. Front 7 is always more important than back 4 on defense and I dont see one LB on this team that I trust to play at a high level for a whole season.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Alex Marvez on Fox Sports radio a few hours ago said he thought Dez would at some point end up on the 4skins FWIW. He didnt elaborate on why he thought this.

Because they have the money to pay him. Other than that it doesn’t really make any sense for Dez, unless he really is just hell bent on trying to “stick it” to the Cowboys.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Personally I’d like to see more of Woods/Frazier, at least for 1 more year. If they can find a way to get some good LB’s and DT’s in front of them (and if Lawrence and Irving duplicate the pass rush prowess) I think Woods and Frazier will be just fine.

Has anyone heard if the neck issue with Leighton Vander Esch is legit? I’ve heard conflicting stories. If his healthy checks out he’s at least an option at 19.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We do need LB help

We’ve got Sean Lee who is made of glass and misses games every season, then we have the gimp who we still don’t have a good read on how he’s going to turn out, then we have Damien Wilson and Joe Thomas

Roquan Smith would be a nice pick up. But we’d have to give up too much to get him

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
FWIW Broaddus seems to think the Cowboys would take a LB over other positions at 19, still saying the team loves LVE

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We do need LB help

We’ve got Sean Lee who is made of glass and misses games every season, then we have the gimp who we still don’t have a good read on how he’s going to turn out, then we have Damien Wilson and Joe Thomas

Roquan Smith would be a nice pick up. But we’d have to give up too much to get him

Either him or Edmunds. But I think Evans might be there at 19, and if so, I'd rather Dallas take him over giving up a pick for one of the other two by trading up.

Top Bottom