Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And that has always been Dez’s problem

He will let someone get in his head (which he’s proven is easy to do) and he lets it totally throw him off his game. See the Thanksgiving day game vs the Panthers from a couple years ago (IIRC) where Dez got to talking shit to the corner, the corner talked shit back, Dez got his panties in a bunch, then he totally quits on a play so he can stand there and talk smack instead of chasing down the DB who just picked off the pass and then ran it back for a TD

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if he did well with another team that happens to have a good QB.
If he quits on routes, drops balls and lets motormouthing make him disappear from games, no, it won't matter at all how good the QB is.
All the problems mentioned could be out of frustration.
Frustration that the fucking 40 million was for. He didn't have shit to be frustrated about.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I think you're well aware my position on Dez has not changed one little bit since you've known me on here. I can't speak to your other points about casual fans but from what I've seen of them there's still a lot of butthurt out there saying Dez got a "raw deal." And that we shouldn't have cut him.

More like the Cowboys got a raw deal after the big contract. Why is that so hard to see?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you're well aware my position on Dez has not changed one little bit since you've known me on here. I can't speak to your other points about casual fans but from what I've seen of them there's still a lot of butthurt out there saying Dez got a "raw deal." And that we shouldn't have cut him.

No issues with your position. You were very vocal about not giving him a huge contract, if I recall. I don't think Dez got a raw deal at all. It's business but I also won't go and say shit now that he's gone while I was riding his jock for his "passion."

Rynie called it. Dez is a crack baby. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but he's not all together between the ears. He doesn't think and process shit like normal people with developed brains. People excused it as passion while others saw the issues. And I think we moved up to draft him when he sat out in college the prior year. I don't blame Dez. I blame Garrett, Jerry and company for keeping him around for 8 years and making him a multi-millionaire when no one else wanted him.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever spoken of the "team cancer" part with him much. And probably nobody in this forum was as pro-Dez as me until this past season.

Of course not.....because to you it was passion. Dez hasn't changed one bit. At least he's consistent which is more than I can say for some others.

He had an awful year. It's one thing to have a down year if you are injured or there are other circumstances involved (like the uber awful QB play in 2015) but it's another thing entirely when you quit on routes, drop passes over and over and then also go to the sideline and rant to coaches or other players about things.

He did have an awful year bit the dropped passes were fairly uncharacteristic. I think he's so mentally weak and unstable that he loses interest when he doesn't get the ball. He's a man child with ADD. And since when did his rants start bothering you? You compared Dez to Irvin and called him a "winner."

And speaking of awful year, can you name me a reciver that didn't have an awful year?

I also have to say part of my negativity toward him is more extreme now over his post-release comments. They prove he wasn't motivated or focused on being the best player he could be and ultimately helping his team win. I also absolutely HATE the public blaming of others for "getting him released"

Nothing Dez did after his released surprised me and it shouldn't have surprised you or anyone else. You're just deflecting and avoiding potentially greater issues like the front office and quite possibly the QB. It's not so simple as "it's all Dez's fault." Part of me thinks the team got rid of Dez to keep the heat off of Dak. If other receivers played well, then your position would probably be more palatable. But they all sucked because the QB sucked.

He should have just owned up to it, said he needed to improve and take this as a learning experience and move on. Instead he acted like a child. It's HIS fault he got cut, nobody else's.

Own up to what exactly? The coach doesn't own up to shit. The owner or his off-spring doesn't own up to shit. I don't remember all of his comments but I think he did mention some of his shortcomings but by no means should he take the fall for the offense.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been saying since the day the season ended I didn't think Dez would be here. It's all here in black and white for people to see.

But that's not the issue, is it? The question was always whether or not his production was worth the money he was getting. That's not earth shattering......

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had he done this he might have a job today already. 31 GMs were watching his bullshit.

Teams are going to wait until after the draft and if he plays, it'll be for some cap friendly deal. I don't think he would have gotten signed even if he said nothing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But that's not the issue, is it? The question was always whether or not his production was worth the money he was getting. That's not earth shattering......

You said it was the issue, acted like this was some new take for me or something just because he got released.

The fact is I said he deserved to be released and IMO would be released since the day the season ended.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Teams are going to wait until after the draft and if he plays, it'll be for some cap friendly deal. I don't think he would have gotten signed even if he said nothing.

If ANYBODY honestly thought he was the victim of poor circumstances, bad QB play , bad coaching etc etc he'd have been signed the fucking second he hit the streets.

The fact is nobody has, because they know it wasn't poor circumstances, poor QB, bad coaching etc etc that caused him to play like shit the past 3 years.

That's the other issue, that other than a select few games its been THREE bad years in a row.

The fact he hasn't been signed yet says 31 other teams don't think much about his skill level anymore, and his child like act since getting released damned him even more.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You said it was the issue, acted like this was some new take for me or something just because he got released.

The fact is I said he deserved to be released and IMO would be released since the day the season ended.

It is a new take for you. Since the end of the season when he might be released.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

So, there's no "Dez Sweepstakes" like the sports show flap yappers are still claiming?

Somebody would have scooped him up immediately if he was anywhere near the god they're trying to make of him.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If ANYBODY honestly thought he was the victim of poor circumstances, bad QB play , bad coaching etc etc he'd have been signed the fucking second he hit the streets.

Bull. Some team will sign him, warts and all, when his price is driven down. It's business.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, there's no "Dez Sweepstakes" like the sports show flap yappers are still claiming?

Somebody would have scooped him up immediately if he was anywhere near the god they're trying to make of him.

He's got warts. He's always had warts. Some team will give him a shot when the price is right and the risk is low.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He's got warts. He's always had warts. Some team will give him a shot when the price is right and the risk is low.

That would surprise me 100 percent more than if nobody signs him. He has more than warts.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

This is just basic common sense. But that doesn't mean they don't consider it a possibility

The fact is nobody has, because they know it wasn't poor circumstances, poor QB, bad coaching etc etc that caused him to play like shit the past 3 years.

Again, they don't know for sure, just suspect this is the case.

That's the other issue, that other than a select few games its been THREE bad years in a row.

It's mainly one year that's killing him, 2016. He did not play a big role in the success of the team, unlike 2014. He made a few big plays in 2017 but his bad plays cost the Cowboys games.

The fact he hasn't been signed yet says 31 other teams don't think much about his skill level anymore, and his child like act since getting released damned him even more.

The guy is definitely a high risk player. It's just hard to determine what you'll get because he is volatile. But I can see a team signing him for at most a 2 year deal anywhere from 10-16M.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bull. Some team will sign him, warts and all, when his price is driven down. It's business.

I don't doubt he'll get a job Dodger.

I'm saying if he was still considered a top-tier talent he'd have been scooped up the second he hit the streets. You said teams would wait till after the draft to sign him.

Nobody would wait till after the draft if he was a game changer.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't doubt he'll get a job Dodger.

I'm saying if he was still considered a top-tier talent he'd have been scooped up the second he hit the streets. You said teams would wait till after the draft to sign him.

Nobody would wait till after the draft if he was a game changer.

I don't think he's top tier either and it's questionable if he was ever a truly top tier WR; he disappeared for long stretches and it would drive me nuts when folks would compare him to Irvin. They're not even in the same area code.

Having said that, he's still better than the scrubs we currently have on our team barring the new signings. I can't say I know too much about them. This team and has positioned itself to be worse off at the receiving position after releasing Bryant and that was almost impossible to do. Rico Gathers.........Jesus people....get real.

Top Bottom