dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not exactly a Dez defender, but everyone struggled last year, why would we expect Dez to be different? It looked like the Cowboys weren't ready to start most games, then either caught up or faded. I think the coaching staff wet the bed. I'm hoping we don't see a repeat of the 2010 season. Why do I have a feeling if Dez and Beasley went to the Patriots we'd see them looking a lot better.

Please tell me how the coaching caused Dez to drop all those passes last yr, something he had never done previously.

I would EXPECT a WR paid like one of the top players in the league to catch most of those that he dropped.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dez Bryant’s future remains in doubt but decision could come sooner than later
Posted by Charean Williams on April 8, 2018, 10:09 PM EDT

When asked about Dez Bryant on Sunday night, Jason Garrett, La'el Collins and Travis Frederick all had the same line: “He’s on our football team.”

Yes, he is, but for how long? That remains a question that perhaps only Jerry Jones can answer.

Garrett said he has not met with the receiver and doesn’t know if Jones has. But it sounds as if a decision is coming and soon.

The Cowboys begin their offseason program April 16, and that seems a logical deadline considering any season-ending injury occurring on team premises would guarantee his $12.5 million salary. It also makes sense that Bryant would want to know his status sooner than later.

The Cowboys are expected to ask Bryant to reduce his base salary to lower his salary cap number of $16.5 million for 2018. Bryant, 29, has not had a 1,000-yard season since 2014 and his last 100-yard game was November 13, 2016.

Dallas signed Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson in free agency and still could draft a receiver. The Cowboys have shown interest in Alabama’s Calvin Ridley and SMU’s Courtland Sutton among others.

“I have not met with Dez,” Garrett said at the Cowboys’ Taste of the NFL event. “Dez is on our football team, and again, we talked about some of the moves we made at the receiver position, and they’re designed to create competition there. We think that’s going to help everybody on our team.”

Bryant’s teammates have heard the talk about his future being in doubt, but they haven’t listened.

“I stay out of it,” Frederick said. “I don’t know anything about it. I don’t think anybody knows anything about it. We just go on like things are, and that’s what we do. Whatever happens happens obviously. I love Dez. I love him as a teammate, and I love him as a person. I wish him the best, and I just hope everything gets settled.”

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Please tell me how the coaching caused Dez to drop all those passes last yr, something he had never done previously.

I would EXPECT a WR paid like one of the top players in the league to catch most of those that he dropped.

Brutal, I know. What do you expect me to say about that? When you're having a bad year, and you're barely catching any passes, what do you expect to happen? Who had a good year?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Brutal, I know. What do you expect me to say about that? When you're having a bad year, and you're barely catching any passes, what do you expect to happen? Who had a good year?

Who cares who else had a good year? He gets paid a lot of fucking money to do his job.

He can't control how or when a QB throws him the ball, or how an opposing defense plays him. But HE CAN CONTROL how he catches damn passes and how well he runs and gives effort on his routes, and on those two issues he was fucking terrible last year. A number of those drops or poor routes were drive ending plays or in a couple examples, turnovers. \

Again I am not saying he should catch everything, no WR does. Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin and Randy Moss all dropped passes. What I do expect is a guy that has year over year displayed excellent hands and is paid elite player money to not rank near the top of the league in dropped passes, as was the case last year. He's supposed to be one of our best players and is paid like a guy who can help the team win. Last year all he did was help the team fail.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dez Bryant’s future remains in doubt but decision could come sooner than later
Posted by Charean Williams on April 8, 2018, 10:09 PM EDT

When asked about Dez Bryant on Sunday night, Jason Garrett, La'el Collins and Travis Frederick all had the same line: “He’s on our football team.”

Yes, he is, but for how long? That remains a question that perhaps only Jerry Jones can answer.

Garrett said he has not met with the receiver and doesn’t know if Jones has. But it sounds as if a decision is coming and soon.

The Cowboys begin their offseason program April 16, and that seems a logical deadline considering any season-ending injury occurring on team premises would guarantee his $12.5 million salary. It also makes sense that Bryant would want to know his status sooner than later.

What do people seriously expect them to say right now? Yeah, we're seriously considering dumping Dez? Not a chance.

The Cowboys are expected to ask Bryant to reduce his base salary to lower his salary cap number of $16.5 million for 2018. Bryant, 29, has not had a 1,000-yard season since 2014 and his last 100-yard game was November 13, 2016.

There are two ways to do this, a pay cut or a restructure. The latter would be an epic mistake. The former would probably not be acceptable to Dez. Dez can test the market, but he's probably not going to get 16.5 Mil. But hey, both the Browns and 49ers can afford him. They carried over a boatload of cap space from last season.

Dallas signed Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson in free agency and still could draft a receiver. The Cowboys have shown interest in Alabama’s Calvin Ridley and SMU’s Courtland Sutton among others.

“I have not met with Dez,” Garrett said at the Cowboys’ Taste of the NFL event. “Dez is on our football team, and again, we talked about some of the moves we made at the receiver position, and they’re designed to create competition there. We think that’s going to help everybody on our team.”

Bryant’s teammates have heard the talk about his future being in doubt, but they haven’t listened.

“I stay out of it,” Frederick said. “I don’t know anything about it. I don’t think anybody knows anything about it. We just go on like things are, and that’s what we do. Whatever happens happens obviously. I love Dez. I love him as a teammate, and I love him as a person. I wish him the best, and I just hope everything gets settled.”

More of the same. The moves point to a Dez departure. But until they are sure what else are they going to say? Kony Ealy's pay hasn't yet been accounted for on the cap. Dallas is 5.2M over the cap without him accounted for after factoring in the draftees. When I look at the roster and look at the contracts, Dez is the only logical choice to fix this problem. It comes down to either releasing him, or restructuring. Or a combination of that and releasing Beasley. But IMO I'd rather have Beasley stay.

Reaction score
What I do expect is a guy that has year over year displayed excellent hands and is paid elite player money to not rank near the top of the league in dropped passes, as was the case last year. He's supposed to be one of our best players and is paid like a guy who can help the team win. Last year all he did was help the team fail.

He pretty much lost the Seattle game all by himself.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i dont know the stats, but i want to say that dallas was pretty good when they had 5-wide/empty back sets

i dont know where i came up w/ the idea of dallas switching to a more open offense this year...... whether that was reported and i read it somewhere or whatever. i think thats a great idea. keep zeke in the backfield, keep 4 WR on the field or a TE that isnt witten. spread a defense out and run right at them or let them commit a little and give your WRs space to operate, and if they still cover you, then let dak make a play w his legs

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Fredrick and Martin.

They could have played better than any two offensive lineman in NFL history and unfortunately it wouldn't have mattered. The offensive line is a unit. Which leads me to another question. Most of Dak's pass plays come out of shotgun. Not at all strange for the NFL, but at the same time most of Zeke's run plays come from under center. We pretty much give away every down.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They could have played better than any two offensive lineman in NFL history and unfortunately it wouldn't have mattered. The offensive line is a unit. Which leads me to another question. Most of Dak's pass plays come out of shotgun. Not at all strange for the NFL, but at the same time most of Zeke's run plays come from under center. We pretty much give away every down.

Neither one of those is strange in todays NFL. Most teams are in shotgun on obvious pass downs, and some teams are in shotgun even more than that.

JPP1974

Ready for Summertime
Reaction score
Jones is known for being mum about players contracts until they make it news.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Neither one of those is strange in todays NFL. Most teams are in shotgun on obvious pass downs, and some teams are in shotgun even more than that.

That's fine. It's better to be in shotgun 100% of the time than come out of it every time you're going to run. Some teams don't have a problem running draw plays out of shotgun, but we know Zeke is better at hitting the line with speed. I can call a run/pass 9 out of 10 times with the Cowboys and it's not just due to down and distance.

I've seen Dak play action from under center. He does not look like he has any trouble. That early 90s Cowboys team from '92 to '95, maybe more, didn't run any plays from shotgun. Down and distance was the determining factor for the D. This during a time when shotgun was popular. Not like today, but still popular. If you don't have Tom Brady, Barry Sanders, or the greatest show on turf, you might want to try to not give up the game.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's fine. It's better to be in shotgun 100% of the time than come out of it every time you're going to run. Some teams don't have a problem running draw plays out of shotgun, but we know Zeke is better at hitting the line with speed. I can call a run/pass 9 out of 10 times with the Cowboys and it's not just due to down and distance.

I've seen Dak play action from under center. He does not look like he has any trouble. That early 90s Cowboys team from '92 to '95, maybe more, didn't run any plays from shotgun. Down and distance was the determining factor for the D. This during a time when shotgun was popular. Not like today, but still popular. If you don't have Tom Brady, Barry Sanders, or the greatest show on turf, you might want to try to not give up the game.

I think you'd be hard pressed to show me any real proof that other teams are really RUNNING the ball any more than we do out of the shotgun. if you have data that proves that, please share with us. When I watch games I definitely don't see that.

It's a passing league, and just about every team is mostly throwing the ball when they get into the shotgun formation.

Comparing today to what we did (or even the league in general) in the 90's is apples and oranges.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like it is going to happen.

The "mess" got created because Dez played like a mediocre player at best last yr and makes way too much money for the type of reslts he has produced over the last couple years.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So Dez is scheduled to meet with Jeruh on Friday

Which means we should get the sound bite from him on Saturday about how Dez is in the best shape ever, he’s healthy, and he plans to have his greatest season ever so he can show the fan base how dedicated he is to the Cowboys and how Dez wants to retire a Cowboy.

And how he won’t be restructuring his contract

Or some other shit like that. In other words, he ain’t goin nowhere!

Last edited:
Top Bottom