Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If a team loses a key guy to injury in camp I could see it as a desperation hole-filler. Dez has lost most of any upside he had, for reasons not the least of which is his trick knee. There's just not a huge market for a mostly washed-up head case diva WR, especially with most of the FA signing money all dried up at this point.

I would not be surprised either way, what would surprise me and even shock the hell out of me is if someone signed him for more than a few million on a one-year deal. Veteran's minimum would be more like it.

Let's not pretend he brings something to the table most teams don't already have or can get without all the baggage. He's simply not all that special and wasn't when we gave him that nonsensical long term contract without even letting him test the market.

I'm not saying he's going to make big money. But an average, incentive laden contract is not out of the question. He may very well be done. Or he may be 29 with a couple of good years left. Tine will tell but I firmly believe if he has some good years, it'll be an indictment of Garrett, at the very least.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That weren't even "monster" years.

He was a first team All-Pro on a team who's offensive philosophy that year was to run the ball. He had a good stretch and I thought he'd build on those but he laid an egg. Time will tell who was responsible.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
4078e56f44182bb731fb4430564e4964.jpg

LOL

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He was a first team All-Pro on a team who's offensive philosophy that year was to run the ball. He had a good stretch and I thought he'd build on those but he laid an egg. Time will tell who was responsible.
The egg is all that counts now to 31 GM humans in the league.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
16 million annually wasn't enough motivation.

Maybe not. It was entitlement. Getting cut hurt his pride. But who knows whats going that thru that pea brain Dez has. He seems more concerned about playing against the Cowboys two times a year than anything else at this point.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
He also got a new QB. Did he run poor routes when he had those monster years?

You mean when Romo was his QB and when Dez led the NFL in TD's for receivers since 2012? Rather than give Garrett credit Im way more inclined to give Romo the credit. We know Romo carried Garrett. Dez AND Red are to blame. Im not sure why everybody suddenly wants to give Red a pass when it comes to Dez. The track record says Garrett didnt get all he could have from Dez. Its what Red does.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dez has been here for 8 years. His issues with "route running," if that was truly an issue, didn't just pop up two years ago. Players like Dez need to be coached. They also need to respect their coach and that coach has to earn their respect.

The fact that this team signed him to a monster contract tells me that a lot of this route running stuff is BS. Garrett failed Dez. Even Jerry coddling Dez didn't do Dez any favors with a HC like Garrett. When Dez had a QB who could throw him the rock with some accuracy, he was "passionate" and the only guy on the team who cared. Yes, I read that and I'm pretty sure I read it here. Folks may not like the elephant in the room but but I wonder how much of it was Dez and how much of it was Dak's inability to get him the football. I don't excuse Dez but a new QB may have also had an impact. He seemed to run routes adequately in the past.

No coaches failed Dez. Dez failed Dez,

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He also got a new QB. Did he run poor routes when he had those monster years?

Probably. He was much more explosive/dynamic then. He had the ability to get over the top of a defense and run away from defenders.

I think the injuries and the way he was beat up physically with multiple guys piling on him really took it toll on him over the years. And when his physical skill declined, he had nothing else to really fall back on.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I think the injuries and the way he was beat up physically with multiple guys piling on him really took it toll on him over the years. And when his physical skill declined, he had nothing else to really fall back on.

This is it. But he's still a big strong guy that the coaches should have been able to use as more of a possession receiver.

You can give Garrett a pass, but no way I give the Red Clapping Clown a total pass.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You mean when Romo was his QB and when Dez led the NFL in TD's for receivers since 2012? Rather than give Garrett credit Im way more inclined to give Romo the credit. We know Romo carried Garrett. Dez AND Red are to blame. Im not sure why everybody suddenly wants to give Red a pass when it comes to Dez. The track record says Garrett didnt get all he could have from Dez. Its what Red does.

I agree with you. Same thing happened with T.O. only in reverse. When Bledsoe was QB they called T.O. the highest paid decoy in the league. Romo takes over and everything changes. I think had Romo still been here, Dez would be too. Romo can make any WR look good.

But I do believe injuries have taken a toll on Dez and he lost more than a few steps. Great speed for a WR is huge. If you lose that everything changes. You have to adjust, and I believe coaching did not and continued to use Dez as they always have.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
maybe dez is just a big stupid dickhead and the guys are tired of his shit

my expert analysis: dez has become a bigger and bigger prick over the yrs. and for the most part it has been manageable. when hes injured, hes not around the team. when hes around the team, hes a dickhead and guys hate him personally, but hey at least hes scoring a lot of touchdowns.

now he doesnt score tds anymore so,,, and some guys just wanna work without being bothered by his bullshit day-to-day and there have some

ACCOUNTABILITY

!!!!!

the message is clear: do not take a garrett poster lightly

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Absolutely agree. If someone says they didn't want to keep Dez because of his salary, I can understand it. When they start throwing in all the other stuff that we shouldn't hear about from a 1st round WR in his 8th year as a pro and into his second contract, then I call bullshit. If Dez had trouble with the route tree, then he should have never been given his contract. If Dez was a problem in the locker room, then he shouldn't have been given his contract. If Dez didn't work hard enough, then he shouldn't been given his contract. So in year 8 we find out that Dez, who was "passionate" earlier in his career, is now not a RKG. Get the fuck outta here.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No coaches failed Dez. Dez failed Dez,

How so? See my previous post. I'm not buying this shit, as if it suddenly appeared or reared it's ugly head this year and last year. This team re-signed Dez, so all this route tree stuff is bullshit. If he was late for meetings last year, then he was probably late for meetings early on in his career. They gave him a babysitter for goodness sake. But the team re-signed him even though he's obviously not an RKG now?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably. He was much more explosive/dynamic then. He had the ability to get over the top of a defense and run away from defenders.

Dez never had blazing speed. He was always known for his hands and ability to get the football.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bottom line. For all the current critique of Dez, he was still the best WR on this team, both athletically and statistically speaking. The front office and HC screwed the pooch on this one the day they gave him a huge contract without so much as a sniff from another NFL team.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The front office and HC screwed the pooch on this one the day they gave him a huge contract without so much as a sniff from another NFL team.
Like I said back then, and like I continue to say today.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dez had speed.
Nobody's ever said he was slow. But he definitely did NOT have elite, blazing speed. Nobody's ever been afraid of his speed. It's simply never been one of his tools and never been a calling card.

He had ADEQUATE speed.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You guys still going back and forth over a mostly washed up WR who wont do shit at his next very brief landing spot. :lol

Top Bottom