Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We're running the ball half the time overall, and 76% of run plays come from under center.

Unless you either want the offense to throw more in general, or run more out of shotgun looks then your argument makes no sense. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Neither. I would like to see them pass more from under center, not necessarily pass more in general. I don't like it that the opposing defense knows what we're running on every play before the ball is snapped.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Neither. I would like to see them pass more from under center, not necessarily pass more in general. I don't like it that the opposing defense knows what we're running on every play before the ball is snapped.

So again, we're running and passing about 50% of the time now. We run more from under center and less from shotgun.

If you then say "we should pass more from under center" then either 1) We have to pass more in general or 2) to keep the same balance you'd have to run more from shotgun

I think both those are bad options for this team.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So again, we're running and passing about 50% of the time now. We run more from under center and less from shotgun.

Good. I don't think we should ever run from shotgun. Zeke is a kick ass downhill runner.

If you then say "we should pass more from under center" then either 1) We have to pass more in general or 2) to keep the same balance you'd have to run more from shotgun

No. Someone once said there are 3 types of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics. You're getting caught up in statistics.

I'm not saying we need to pass more or run more. We need to run more plays out of the same formation, preferably under center. The same formations we use to run with Zeke we should also pass from. I'm not saying never to use the shotgun, just use it in obvious passing situations. But for all other situations let the defense guess what we're doing. I personally think Dak is perfectly fine passing from under center just from my observations of when he does so.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Chris Mortenson says he thinks Dez will be gone by Monday. Meaning Dez wont be willing to take a pay cut.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Chris Mortenson says he thinks Dez will be gone by Monday. Meaning Dez wont be willing to take a pay cut.

Addition by subtraction to be honest.

Loved the guy for a number of years but he was bad last yr and only a little better than that in 2016.

Maybe getting cut motivates him, maybe he goes to a situation where the coach is hard on him (unlike pussy clapper here) and he goes elsewhere and really plays well. There will be Cowboy fans that whine and complain about that, but the fact is he probably would not have anywhere near that success here.

Makes too much money to be an average to below average player. Time to move on one way or another.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Not a shocker. He won't take a pay cut and he's not worth 25M over the next two years. So he's gone.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It's getting to the point where he's not worth the trouble even with a significant pay cut. Dak not feeling compelled to force feed the ball to a hothead can only help his progression.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's getting to the point where he's not worth the trouble even with a significant pay cut. Dak not feeling compelled to force feed the ball to a hothead can only help his progression.

There were several games each of the last two seasons where if Dez didn't do anything for a game or two (or more) the team came back that next week and really just force fed the ball to him no matter what.

I think not having that around and instead going to more of a "spread the wealth around" mentality in the passing game would really benefit the team. Same applies to Jason Witten.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
There were several games each of the last two seasons where if Dez didn't do anything for a game or two (or more) the team came back that next week and really just force fed the ball to him no matter what.

I think not having that around and instead going to more of a "spread the wealth around" mentality in the passing game would really benefit the team. Same applies to Jason Witten.

Him yelling at the coaching staff as he was lining up for a play vs. Seattle will linger in my memory for quite some time.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Fuck Dez! I'm so sick of his dumb ass, I didn't want him signed in the first place and the contract extension has proven to be a waste. Not that it matters since its next to impossible to overcome the dumbass ownership.

Regardless, I hate how they coddle guys like this, let them ruin the asylum, eat up cap space and in the end aren't the difference makers jeri likes to believe they are.

Could have saved a lot of time, money and distractions by listening to Jimmys advice and avoided Dez altogether but of course jeri is too bitter to do something sensible like that

Jimmy Johnson on "dumb" players - YouTube

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Loved the guy for a number of years but he was bad last yr and only a little better than that in 2016.

Maybe getting cut motivates him, maybe he goes to a situation where the coach is hard on him (unlike pussy clapper here) and he goes elsewhere and really plays well. There will be Cowboy fans that whine and complain about that, but the fact is he probably would not have anywhere near that success here.

Makes too much money to be an average to below average player. Time to move on one way or another.

The best thing for Dez would be to take a pay cut and stay in Dallas. Its doubtful that he's bright enough to realize it. Whatever Jerry is willing to still give him will be more than he can get anywhere else most likely. The jones fracture and its been downhill since. The best thing for Dez is to take the pay cut and stay in Dallas. The best thing for the Cowboys is for Dez to not take a pay cut and they release him.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So from what I can tell it's about a 50/50 split on whether or not to keep Dez?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The best thing for Dez would be to take a pay cut and stay in Dallas. Its doubtful that he's bright enough to realize it. Whatever Jerry is willing to still give him will be more than he can get anywhere else most likely. The jones fracture and its been downhill since. The best thing for Dez is to take the pay cut and stay in Dallas. The best thing for the Cowboys is for Dez to not take a pay cut and they release him.

I disagree

First, his ego won’t let him take a pay cut simply because he still believes he’s still one of the rope WR in the league. So that option is out.

The best thing for Dez is to go somewhere he can win! Cuz it sure as shit ain’t gonna happen here anytime soon. And to get out from under Garrett’s suffocating blanket of shit coaching.

Some team will pay Dez way more than we will.

He will probably do better under another coach. Plus he will be motivated to prove the Cowboys wrong for letting him leave. So he probably will have a strong season like he did in his contract year. Same motivating type factor.

And we don’t have to put up with his bullshit whining and crying anymore

Win win win all the way around

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Even the Mick getting involved:

Novel Idea? Since we’re on the subject of Dez Bryant, with the Cowboys beginning official offseason conditioning workouts on Monday and reports of the Dez-Jerry summit meeting finally coming down this Friday, see where this receiver-whisperer named David Robinson – not that David Robinson – is going to work with Dez on his “route-running” during some upcoming private lessons. Really? Look, since the Cowboys traded up in that 2010 draft to 24 to take a shot on the Oklahoma State receiver, guess what we’ve heard from receiver assistants Ray Sherman, Jimmy Robinson and Derek Dooley, yearly: Dez needs to work on running his routes. Man, during the offseason(s) I stood right there one day while Dooley gave me a lecture on how Dez needs to improve getting off jams on the line of scrimmage. How, if he gets engaged with a corner hand-fighting, and if he doesn’t get a clean release “in one-two,” the quarterback reads him covered and goes on to his next option. For the sake of the 29-year-old wide receiver, hope that sinks in, along with staying healthy. Stay tuned.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So from what I can tell it's about a 50/50 split on whether or not to keep Dez?

I bet it's more like 83%

Cut/trade Dez: S Jones, McClay, Garrett, Linehan, Lal

Keep Dez: Johnny Walker GM

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

If he’s smart he’ll go to New Orleans, New England or Green Bay.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If he’s smart he’ll go to New Orleans, New England or Green Bay.

Yes. If he wants to win. The Patriots and Packers could probably sign him. But neither can afford to overpay him. The Saints would have a bit more trouble.

If he just wants money the Browns and 49ers are the places to go. They are both up and coming and can use a WR like him for a year or two. And both those teams have ridiculous cap space because they carried over almost 60M from last season.

Top Bottom