theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Jones family loves Dez Bryant. They loved Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Tony Romo, too, and had to say good-bye.

Every time executive vice president Stephen Jones talks about Bryant, he seems to be steeling himself and the organization for what could be the end of the wide receiver’s days in Dallas.

On Tuesday, Stephen Jones compared the decision on Bryant’s future with the departures of Aikman, Smith and Irvin.

“Well, it’s difficult,” Jones said, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “That’s the hard part about our business. That’s the way Jerry is. The way I am. You do get attached to these men. All amazing people that lay it on the line for the Cowboys, our fans, and no one respects them more than we do.

“When these times come, whether it’s Troy, whether it’s Emmitt, whether it’s Michael, when that time finally gets there it’s a difficult decision. You’ve see the press conferences when Troy retires or Michael retires, it’s a lot of emotion. And not to say Dez is at that point but all these decisions are very difficult, especially with great players who’ve done so much for our organization.”

Jones said the Cowboys have not met with Bryant’s representation, but it’s coming. The Cowboys aren’t likely to pay Bryant a $12.5 million salary with a cap figure of $16.5 million, considering he has not had a 1,000-yard season since 2014 and has not had a 100-yard game since November 13, 2016.

“I don’t have a time frame just yet,” Jones said of talks with Bryant’s representation. “Obviously, it’s going to happen sooner than later. . . . We have to continue to work on our end and see where we are going to end up on it.”

Bryant said last week that “everybody that ain’t with Dez Bryant, they can kiss my ass,” with plans to prove doubters wrong. He repeatedly has said he expects to return to Dallas next season, but it likely takes a pay cut for that to happen.

Cowboys will meet with Dez Bryant’s representation “sooner than later” – ProFootballTalk

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
“Well, it’s difficult,” Jones said, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “That’s the hard part about our business. That’s the way Jerry is. The way I am. You do get attached to these men

Sigh, besides being awful at talent and coach evaluation, this epitomizes the last 20 years. If Murchison hadnt known his place Jerry would be just another Mike Brown.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Murchison knew he wasnt a football guy and never pretended to be. When he got the right pieces in place FO and coach he didnt fuck with it. It enabled him to ride a 20 year wave and build the brand that became Americas team. The operation may have been losing money when Jerry bought it but it still had the brand and the fan base. My point is that if Murchison hadnt allowed the above to happen, and Jerry had bought the for example 1989 version of the KC Chiefs (moderate success over a 25 year period and no real pedigree), he would just one of 32 guys trying to grub money off the fans instead of some wannabe celeb with more money than brains.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My point is that if Murchison hadnt allowed the above to happen, and Jerry had bought the for example 1989 version of the KC Chiefs (moderate success over a 25 year period and no real pedigree), he would be just one of 32 guys trying to grub money off the fans instead of some wannabe celeb with more money than brains.
He's actually BOTH!:rofl2

Bay10

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Meh

He’s a scrub who will remain a scrub.

Or.....

He replaces Butler as the useless 6th WR on the team who might get one play every other game

Either way, I don’t see him making much of a difference

As for me clamming up about him that would probably be because he fell back into obscurity never to be heard from again

I thought Butler looked ok when he played and deserved more playing time. I'm certain he could have produced more than TWill last season at least if given a chance. Plenty of fingers to point on that offense this year.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I thought Butler looked ok when he played and deserved more playing time. I'm certain he could have produced more than TWill last season at least if given a chance. Plenty of fingers to point on that offense this year.

I feel like if Dez ain't around for our coaches to insist forcing the ball to, we might get to see what we actually have with Butler.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I feel like if Dez ain't around for our coaches to insist forcing the ball to, we might get to see what we actually have with Butler.

No telling what Butler could do on the 1st unit. Or if other teams thought our WRs might run new, or even different routes.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

He was also good for one huge penalty or drop per game

And they always seemed to come at the worst time

Reaction score
On another note, the competition committee says today what anyone with a ten cent head could see in 2014, Dez caught the ball vs Green Bay

Even Stevie Wonder could see that shit.

There's three or four guys at the Reality's Shithouse still trying to hold out despite the NFL admittance. Even Idgit agrees that Dez caught it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There's three or four guys at the Reality's Shithouse still trying to hold out despite the NFL admittance. Even Idgit agrees that Dez caught it.

Its just unbelievable to me that anyone can look at that play, and still believe it wasn't a catch.

It was a grand larceny job by the officials on that play for certain. The ball never touches the ground.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He was also good for one huge penalty or drop per game

And they always seemed to come at the worst time

Yep. Coaches also said he had a propensity to forget the play too and not always go where he was supposed to.

No question he has the physical ability. He just has a ten cent head.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Its just unbelievable to me that anyone can look at that play, and still believe it wasn't a catch.

It was a grand larceny job by the officials on that play for certain. The ball never touches the ground.

The official on the field called it correctly and there was NO visual evidence to overturn his call. He called Dez "down by contact" at the half yard line. Saying he was down before the lunge. The "larceny" came from the booth review. They're far too willing to override the on-field official. Replay is supposed to correct blatant errors not digitally nitpick.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
On another note, the competition committee says today what anyone with a ten cent head could see in 2014, Dez caught the ball vs Green Bay

Even Stevie Wonder could see that shit.

Did they come to that conclusion? Something we all knew, including them, 5 minutes after the play. Next up, horse shit does indeed come from a horse.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I can’t be the only one that sees Brice Butler as a spare. He’s a 3rd WR at best. People keep saying he just needed a chance with the 1st team. Well what about the two years he was on the team when Dez was hurt? He didn’t do shit but drop a ton of balls. No one talks about that. He had his chance for two straight years (‘15-‘16) and never took the job from anyone. I would be shocked if he’s still in the NFL in 3 years.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Nope, I've always thought so, too.

Guys like him who have obvious physical talent but bounce from team to team and never really amount to anything almost always have something wrong going on we don't see... bad practice habits, not a good professional, lots of mental mistakes, etc.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The official on the field called it correctly and there was NO visual evidence to overturn his call. He called Dez "down by contact" at the half yard line. Saying he was down before the lunge. The "larceny" came from the booth review. They're far too willing to override the on-field official. Replay is supposed to correct blatant errors not digitally nitpick.

Yep

Even Sam Shields said Dez caught the ball.

davy

Reaction score
its sad. with RB E Smith we had a clutch WR with Irvin, With Elliot we dont have the clutch WR with Dez. not even close and Dez is costing a fortune,

Top Bottom