dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
21 NFL head-coaching candidates you need to know

7:19 AM ET
Dan Graziano
ESPN Staff Writer

There's about a 25 percent chance your NFL team is going to have a new coach next season. I don't know who your team is, but we're just looking at the numbers here. Last year, six teams changed head coaches. This year, league sources expect that number to possibly fall in the range of eight or even more. That'd be at least a quarter of the NFL.

The Giants got a jump on coaching-change season Monday with the firing of second-year head man Ben McAdoo, but they won't be the only team to relieve a coach of his duties this December or January.

So, if your team does need a new coach, who might it be? After canvassing league executives and others in the know -- and consulting with ESPN NFL Insiders Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen -- we've compiled a loose list of some of the most likely candidates to land head-coaching jobs this offseason.

Again, this is a loose list. There are guys on it who won't get head-coaching jobs. There might well be guys who aren't on it but will get head-coaching jobs. These things are unpredictable sometimes. But these are some of the hotter names right now, so we thought we'd fill you in on why. I'm sure we'll be discussing this further in the coming weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the appetizer:

Familiar names
Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots

The failed former Broncos head coach is still only 41, and he has certainly repaired his reputation during his second stint in New England. McDaniels interviewed in a few places last year and could be the top candidate for several teams. He has shown, though, that he won't jump at just any opportunity. The job he has right now is likely better than a handful of potential NFL head-coaching jobs. There's some speculation that he could come as part of a package deal with Patriots personnel director Nick Caserio for teams looking for a head coach and general manager.

Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN Monday Night Football

The former Buccaneers and Raiders coach is always a prime subject of speculation, but something about this year feels a little bit more realistic. Gruden is only 54, and his youngest child is finishing high school. He's also in a spot from which he doesn't have to jump at any old job, but there are a couple that could appeal due to location and quarterback situations. "I don't know what's going to happen in the future," Gruden said on ESPN radio on Nov. 15. "I just know this: I'm going to continue to give my best effort to the game, stay prepared. I love Monday Night Football, don't plan on leaving, but as you know in life, you never say never to nothing."

Jim Harbaugh, head coach, Michigan Wolverines

There has long been a sense that Harbaugh, who was 44-19-1 with one Super Bowl appearance in four seasons as coach of the 49ers from 2011-14, would like to try the NFL again. Should he make himself available, he'd be very intriguing to more than one team.

Hot coordinators

Teryl Austin, defensive coordinator, Detroit Lions
Austin has been a hot name on the interview circuit for a couple of years now and should get a shot at some point soon.

Matt Patricia, defensive coordinator, New England Patriots
The Patriots' defensive dominance in spite of the personnel losses they've sustained on that side of the ball is one of the underrated stories of the season.

Frank Reich, offensive coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles
He gets a lot of credit for his role in Carson Wentz's rapid development. The former Bills quarterback could appeal to teams looking for someone who can work magic with a young quarterback prospect.

Jim Schwartz, defensive coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles
Hey, when you're as hot as the Eagles are, your coordinators are going to get interviews. Schwartz was 29-51 with just one playoff appearance in five seasons as Lions head coach, but he has performed well as a defensive coordinator with Buffalo and Philadelphia since.

Pat Shurmur, offensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings
The Vikings are 10-2 with third-string quarterback Case Keenum throwing the ball and rookie Dalvin Cook, who opened the season as their starting running back, on injured reserve. Shurmur was just 9-23 in two seasons as head coach of the Browns from 2011-12, but everyone should get a mulligan after the Browns, right? Shurmur comes from Andy Reid's coaching tree and had some success under Chip Kelly in Philadelphia. He will probably get another shot at some point.

Mike Vrabel, defensive coordinator, Houston Texans
There's a lot of interest in the 42-year-old former Patriots linebacker, whose perspective and intelligence stood out when he played and who has risen quickly in the eyes of people who evaluate coaches. Might it make sense to try to pair him with former Patriots executive Scott Pioli if you need both a coach and a GM?

New names on the circuit

John DeFilippo, quarterbacks coach, Philadelphia Eagles
He's just 39 years old, but (A) that's not so young anymore for NFL head coaches and (B) he deserves a chunk of the credit for Wentz as well. He has had just one stint as a coordinator -- 2015 with Cleveland -- so this would be a big leap, but don't be surprised if he gets an interview or two.

Paul Guenther, defensive coordinator, Cincinnati Bengals
Guenther could be a candidate to take over in Cincinnati if Marvin Lewis moves on or moves up into the front office.

Kris Richard, defensive coordinator, Seattle Seahawks
Richard would follow in the footsteps of former Seahawks defensive coordinators such as Dan Quinn and Gus Bradley, who have earned head-coaching positions following the success of that unit under Pete Carroll.

Steve Wilks, defensive coordinator, Carolina Panthers
Wilks has done well in his first year running the defense in Carolina after Sean McDermott left for Buffalo.

Other names to watch

Tom Cable, offensive line coach, Seattle Seahawks
George Edwards, defensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings
Harold Goodwin, offensive coordinator, Arizona Cardinals
Kirk Ferentz, head coach, Iowa Hawkeyes
Mike Munchak, offensive line coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
Terry Robiskie, offensive coordinator, Tennessee Titans
David Shaw, head coach, Stanford Cardinal
Dave Toub, special teams coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Question of the day- do all 21 of these names rank above Garrett?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of "coaching trees" but I'm somewhat cautious about Belichick's assistants. For some reason, they seem to struggle when they go out on their own. It's hard to assess a guy like Josh McDaniels when he's running an offense led by Brady. And is Matt Patricia a good coordinator or is Belichick the guy that makes that engine go. I think we all know that answer.

I think we need to find someone with a background on the defensive side of the ball. It just seems to me these guys bring an attitude that this team needs.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Of the names on that list I personally would be really interested in bringing in George Edwards from Minnesota or Kris Richard from Seattle. I know Jerry would be looking to bring in an offensive minded coach but I’d like to see them bring in a defensive minded coach and allowing him to bring in a QB coach as the OC.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I know its wishful thinking because we'll all end up let down when dumbass Jerruh doesn't do the right thing with Garrett after the season.

That said, I sort of have this feeling that if he DID make a change, that he would want to go with someone pretty proven that he has some confidence can help get the team over the hump. I don't think he'd replace Garrett with another Garrett (or Wade type career jagger)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That said, I sort of have this feeling that if he DID make a change, that he would want to go with someone pretty proven that he has some confidence can help get the team over the hump. I don't think he'd replace Garrett with another Garrett (or Wade type career jagger)
He now realizes time is the fire in which he burns, he knows it's a predator, stalking him - he feels its eyes on him as it sets for the kill. In short the sumbitch knows he's about to croak soon and more desperately than ever wants that elusive Lombardi trophy. I think that's what fuels his anger at Goodell most - he thought he had a super bowl team until Goodell ruined it by benching Zeke for 6 games.

So yeah, if he cans Garrett he's probably desperate enough to hire a real coach and swallow his pride a bit, and let that dude run the show.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I know its wishful thinking because we'll all end up let down when dumbass Jerruh doesn't do the right thing with Garrett after the season.

Jeff Fisher sounds right up his alley, nice and pliable at this point in his career and likely to be happy kicking back collecting checks while jeri does his daily microphone tour of nonsense and BS

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He now realizes time is the fire in which he burns, he knows it's a predator, stalking him - he feels its eyes on him as it sets for the kill. In short the sumbitch knows he's about to croak soon and more desperately than ever wants that elusive Lombardi trophy. I think that's what fuels his anger at Goodell most - he thought he had a super bowl team until Goodell ruined it by benching Zeke for 6 games.

So yeah, if he cans Garrett he's probably desperate enough to hire a real coach and swallow his pride a bit, and let that dude run the show.

I’m having visions of Harbaugh

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Philly has three names on the list; Dallas has zero. Helluva staff you put together, Jerry.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Kris Richard from Seattle.
This would be one of the first people Jerry should interview, so he wont. He'll go for a retread like Jeff Fisher who McVay has shown was another fraud.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

not only that but they ruined his puppet's coach of the year and his hall-of-fame induction.

jerry had a major hard on once he saw dak and zeke were punishing teams. it would've been practically a clean sweep of almost every award the nfl has to offer within 2 years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jeff Fisher sounds right up his alley, nice and pliable at this point in his career and likely to be happy kicking back collecting checks while jeri does his daily microphone tour of nonsense and BS

There was a time when a bunch of people would have been thrilled to get Fisher, and Jerruh and Fisher are tight.

But that time isn't any longer. Fisher proved he is a class A boob with the Rams. No way drunken GM can sell him to the fans now.

Top Bottom