English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The Chris Thompson injury is big for the Skins.

They've found a running game with Perine though. Back to back 100 yard games for him behind that makeshift line. Yet another example of a team missing key players, yet still competing.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
McFadden just retired. That’s what it’s called when you get fired and no one else will hire you I guess

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
McFadden just retired. That’s what it’s called when you get fired and no one else will hire you I guess

Another guy who pocketed like 3 mill and did jack shit for it. How do I get job working for Jerry.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Goodell the man! Give him that big raise and private jet you dumbass owners!

Much Like Their Television Ratings, NFL Merchandise Sales Plummet to New Lows

Much Like Their Television Ratings, NFL Merchandise Sales Plummet to New Lows

The NFL has already received their fair share of bad news this holiday season. First, the league finds out that all three Thanksgiving games saw double-digit drops in viewership from the previous year.

Now, along with that lump of coal, we learn that the NFL’s merchandise sales have crashed as well. According to the Sports Business Journal, NFL merchandise sales have fallen by 20 percent or more, since the 2009 recession. While the time span of eight years allows a myriad of different explanations for the drop in sales. Awful Announcing writes that, “some licensees feel it has to do with the national anthem protests.”

According to one licensee, and veteran, the drop in sales is an alarming reality with many possible explanations.
advertisement

Bill Skinner of Team ProMark said, “My NFL business has been struggling. As a veteran, I’m bothered by the national anthem protests, so I’ve watched much less NFL.”

Though, he said, “I’d be crazy to blame it on one thing: Brick-and-mortar retail is a mess, and the third parties that used to sell our products online have been largely eliminated by the league. It makes you nervous; for most of the guys here, the NFL is their most important license.”
While the anthem protests may not suffice as a complete and total explanation for the drop in sales, it is interesting how the protest issue is normally the first thing fans, and in this case, retailers, bring up when it comes to trying to explain the loss of interest in the NFL.

Awful Announcing writes, “One licensee did cite the oversaturation of games and lower TV ratings as a contributing factor. But perhaps it’s a combination of factors, and not just anthem protests and lower ratings. The NFL has taken hits from news about concussions, injuries to marquee players like Aaron Rodgers, the retirement of long-time merchandising stalwarts like Peyton Manning and Troy Polamalu, and non-traditional windows on Sunday mornings and Thursday nights.

“Holiday sales will be a litmus test for the NFL, but some licensees are worried that the league isn’t doing more to help their partners during what is the most important time for retail.”

The last point made here, is the real point: What is the NFL doing to help the people who help them? Regardless of the specific cause of the NFL’s decline (as if their were only one reason) the larger more disturbing factor is that the league seems completely disinterested in doing anything about it.

To the point where they’ve consumed themselves with trying to push through Commissioner Goodell’s undeserved contract extension before Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones has an opportunity to thwart it at the mid-December meetings.

Why?

Roger Goodell has presided over historic collapses in ratings, in-game attendance, and now, significant drops in merchandise sales. Why should he, or anyone with that resume, get a contract extension?

The anthem protests may not be the sole reason for the fan rebellion against the NFL, but they are the biggest reason why fans have found other things to do with their Sundays. Presumably, a lot of those same people would have stuffed their stockings with NFL gear this year had the league decided to care more about football than social justice activism.

Just because there might be more than one thing causing the league’s downfall, doesn’t mean you don’t do anything to fix the problem. Solving the anthem issue in a way that respects the flag, would go a long way toward addressing all the other problems the league faces.
Until that happens, the NFL can expect more coal in their stocking.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Get ready Boys, the hype will be back soon. Beat Oakland, get Zeke back for the final two...hmmm.

You know, it'd be just like this putz Garrett. We win the next 4 games and need to win at Philly in Week 17 to make the playoffs. Philly has nothing to play for and either rests or pulls most starters early, AND WE STILL LOSE THE GAME and then miss the playoffs.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Winning that last meaningless game will probably cost us three slots in the draft, so naturally it will happen.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Winning that last meaningless game will probably cost us three slots in the draft, so naturally it will happen.

We'll at least beat them and the Giants, who are trying to lose.

BTW, Football Outsiders has us at a 1.95% chance of making the playoffs, while the Skins with the same record are at 6.7%.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Daren McFadden says he wants the Arkansas head coaching job

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1ca5d4f8a3bba85a247e120708234ddc.jpg

Chin up guys, things can always be worse in Cowboy land

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
At this point, I'd get more enjoyment out of continual 0-16 performances and all the resulting chaos that would ensue, especially on the jones clan

these teaser seasons where they pull a major choke after earning the first round bye do nothing for me and just further delude the "GM" that they know what they're doing

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So apparently McVay has turned Goff into an NFL QB by reading the defenses for him and calling audibles at the last moment. Opinions on this may differ but I call that good coaching and it shows in their record. Conversely it would appear that since Romo retired nobody on the staff has either thought to do this or has the ability to do this. Just more incompetence in the current shit show.

Reaction score
1ca5d4f8a3bba85a247e120708234ddc.jpg

Chin up guys, things can always be worse in Cowboy land

Too bad the Browns don't have to play Dallas in the near future. We could piss on that parade he's planning by getting spanked by the Clowns. We are the only team that could.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I heard he got hurt on this play but if not...

What...
The...
Fuck...

Reaction score
No Sean Lee= loss

I'm ready to rule out Lee's career. Yes, he's a great player, a difference maker, but he's also a tease. Sick of him missing time, and the defense disappearing as a result.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Decimated by injury Redskin team tomorrow night.

Another blowout loss might finally put the nail in Clapper's coffin. With an extra few days off before the NYG game, maybe Garrett gets fired Friday so they can officially start the search.

Top Bottom