Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Orlando Scandrick fractured two transverse processes in his back in last nights game

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I see an offseason move to CB in Byron Jones' future.

We caught a glimpse of that his rookie year. He sucks at that position too. On the second play from scrimmage for the Skins last night, Perine turned the corner and took Jones for a ride -- just like the Eagles did two weeks ago. I know free safeties aren't supposed to be muscle-bound, but his skinny frame offers little resistance at the point of attack. He even got out-jumped in the end zone, which was supposed to be his specialty. In short, I do not care for this Jones fellow.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The defense was good tonight, even the run defense was good (may have been 1st time this yr without Lee that the run D was good)

Our OL also had a really good game, and Alfred Morris looked good.

Indeed. Had Zeke started that game, he might have rushed for 200 yards. Then again, the Skins aren't Philly up front.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Really encouraged by Jaylon Smith's progress. I still don't trust him to hang with a fast RB down the field, but his tackling and pursuit angles have noticeably improved.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Really encouraged by Jaylon Smith's progress. I still don't trust him to hang with a fast RB down the field, but his tackling and pursuit angles have noticeably improved.

Yeah The Gimp seems to be figuring out that when you got only one good wheel you better be well studied.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I see an offseason move to CB in Byron Jones' future.

Why? When they tried him there last year he was awful, thats why they moved him to FS. He is stuck in the no mans land of not tackling well enough for Safety and not covering well enough for corner. He'll be playing for one of those teams that loves our sloppy seconds like TB when his option declined.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why? When they tried him there last year he was awful, thats why they moved him to FS. He is stuck in the no mans land of not tackling well enough for Safety and not covering well enough for corner. He'll be playing for one of those teams that loves our sloppy seconds like TB when his option declined.

When he was drafted the intent was he'd eventually play FS. His rookie year he played all over the secondary. FS, slot CB, outside CB, shadowed TE's etc etc.

Last year he played FS every game, as he has this year.

He's clearly not going to be a safety here in the future, so I believe to try to salvage something they'll give him another chance at CB. I had assumed they'd wait till the offseason to make the move again, but with a few extra days of prep time and Scandrick likely being out for at least a game or two, they might moves Jones back to CB now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah, lot of shit has to happen for them to get in. The most unlikely of which them having to sweep their next 4 games. They'd STILL need help if that happened.

Philly and Minnesota are probably locks to win their division. Right now New Orleans would win the NFC South and Carolina and Atlanta would be the wild cards. LA would win the NFC West and Seattle at 7-4 would be out of the playoffs. Remember we also lose head to head tie breakers with LAR, Green Bay and Atlanta. We have a chance to help our cause vs Seattle in week 16.

Remaining schedules for playoff (mainly wildcard) competitors:

Dallas (6-6): At NYG, at Oakland, Seattle, at Philly

New Orleans (8-3): Carolina, at Atlanta, NYJ, Atlanta, at Tampa
Carolina (8-3): at New Orleans, Minnesota, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, at Atlanta
Atlanta (7-4): Minnesota, New Orleans, at Tampa, at New Orleans, Carolina
Seattle (7-4): Philly, at Jacksonville, LA Rams, at Dallas, Arizona
Detroit (6-5): at Baltimore, at Tampa Bay, Chicago, at Cinci, Green Bay
Green Bay (5-6): Tampa Bay, at Cleveland, at Carolina, Minnesota, at Detroit
Arizona (5-6): LA Rams, Tennessee, at Washington, NY Giants, at Seattle

Our best hope of making the playoffs (barring unforeseen major collapses by a bunch of teams to finish 9-7 or worse)is probably to end up in a 3 or 4 way tie at 10-6, where head to head losses to Atlanta, Green Bay or LAR (if they didn't win division) wouldn't come into play.

Wild Card Tier breakers for Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1) Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2) Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3) Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4) Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5) Strength of victory.
6) Strength of schedule.
7) Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8) Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9) Best net points in conference games.
10) Best net points in all games.
11) Best net touchdowns in all games.
12) Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If you go off above and assume LA Rams win division (which I do, along with them ending up as 4th seed) and look at the schedules to project the final W/L results. Even if by some miracle we go 10-6, here's how things potentially play out.

Minnesota has to head to head wins over New Orleans and the LA Rams, and have upcoming game vs Carolina and Atlanta. I think they'll end up as 2nd seed.

I am putting New Orleans at 12-4 and the 3rd seed.

Carolina 10-6. Atlanta 10-6. Seattle 8-8. Detroit 9-7. Green bay 8-8 (they could be better, as I read Rodgers is close to practicing) and Arizona well out of it at 7-9 or 6-10.

We'd then be in a 3 way tie with Carolina and Atlanta. Atlanta only has 1 conference loss to date and Carolina has 3.

I am not 100% sure how it plays out from there, but think its unlikely even at 10-6 we make it in.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So Atlanta has 2 games left against the Saints and 1 game against the Rams. That’s 3 potential losses for them right there. If that happens and Dallas wins out they should be awarded that last Wild Card spot right?

How odd is it that Atlanta and New Orleans have not played each other yet this season?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't put the Oakland game in the W column just yet. Losing to Atlanta is what will ultimately doom them.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
386b97e590611d562aeaf1d318bd338b.jpg

Top Bottom