theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wouldn’t shock me if he brought Callahan back as the HC.

God no, he was terrible in Oakland and Nebraska. Tim Brown and Jerry Rice both said he was hands down the worst HC they ever had. His ceiling is OL coach just like Wade is DC.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No self serving respectable coach would give up control of players, coaches and/or trainers (to a lesser extent). Jerry knew Jimmy would never go for it but he also knew Campo, Wade and Jason would. Probably Gailey as well.

I'll never understand why this bothers jeri so much

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
When Jerry tells Red he needs to start punching a time clock (remember Dan Reeves) time to put the house on the market.

come on now, you know he did that from day 1 and jeri hangs Garretts nuts above the clock as a daily reminder

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
When Jerry tells Red he needs to start punching a time clock (remember Dan Reeves) time to put the house on the market.

So what exactly happened with Dan Reeves. I was actually pretty excited he was going to come on board and then he was gone before the week was out.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So what exactly happened with Dan Reeves. I was actually pretty excited he was going to come on board and then he was gone before the week was out.

He refused to check his balls in with jeri when he entered valley ranch

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

The stock story is about the time clock. I (and others) think Garrett objected behind closed doors and Jerry threw up that roadblock to get Reeves to back out. Garrett didn't want anyone stepping in his territory, just like when he ran off Callahan. Reeves of course was a total Wade move through their prior work and friendship, and Garrett didn't like it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The stock story is about the time clock. I (and others) think Garrett objected behind closed doors and Jerry threw up that roadblock to get Reeves to back out. Garrett didn't want anyone stepping in his territory, just like when he ran off Callahan. Reeves of course was a total Wade move through their prior work and friendship, and Garrett didn't like it.

Time clock? What about the time clock?

Wade was the DC in Denver when Reeves was HC right? At the time I just thought that Reeves was coming in to take over the play calling or at least assist in designing the plays and that was why Red balked. It’s a shame because I think Reeves would have really helped.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep, Wade was Reeves' DC in Denver and again in Atlanta. Wade wanted him here specifically to help Jason with the running game, which was way underused in 2008. (Another counter to this media narrative and fan claim that Garrett has always wanted to run the ball.)

If you missed the time clock, the story going around that day was that Jerry wanted Reeves to punch a time clock and Reeves, being a proven coach and prideful guy, refused. I remember Reeves doing the media rounds the day that broke -- he was devastated -- and he never mentioned a time clock. I've always wondered if the time clock was literally true or more a figurative thing that Jerry had inserted some insulting type conditions in the contract at the last minute.

The weird thing is, Reeves was here for a couple of days before the deal broke down. Something happened at the last second to sabotage it. I still think either Garrett objected, or Jerry decided it would stunt Jason's development as a playcaller.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep, Wade was Reeves' DC in Denver and again in Atlanta. Wade wanted him here specifically to help Jason with the running game, which was way underused in 2008. (Another counter to this media narrative and fan claim that Garrett has always wanted to run the ball.)

If you missed the time clock, the story going around that day was that Jerry wanted Reeves to punch a time clock and Reeves, being a proven coach and prideful guy, refused. I remember Reeves doing the media rounds the day that broke -- he was devastated -- and he never mentioned a time clock. I've always wondered if the time clock was literally true or more a figurative thing that Jerry had inserted some insulting type conditions in the contract at the last minute.

The weird thing is, Reeves was here for a couple of days before the deal broke down. Something happened at the last second to sabotage it. I still think either Garrett objected, or Jerry decided it would stunt Jason's development as a playcaller.

Which is funny now to think of it, because this asshole went public as to how he wanted Capers to be the DC --- he objects to Reeves coming in to help him, but want to made demands on the defensive side of the ball. Incredible. I think the reason why Wade made Brian Stewart the DC was as a FUCK YOU! to Garrett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Which is funny now to think of it, because this asshole went public as to how he wanted Capers to be the DC --- he objects to Reeves coming in to help him, but want to made demands on the defensive side of the ball. Incredible. I think the reason why Wade made Brian Stewart the DC was as a FUCK YOU! to Garrett.

I don't really want to defend Garrett, but what he had suggested was for Capers to be added to the staff as a defensive assistant, and Brian Stewart cried his eyes out to Wade because he knew the next move was to strip him of DC duties.

Wade was a dumbfuck for naming Stewart the DC, the following year he got so bad that Wade had to take back over the defensive playcalling and that's when our defense went on a sack rampage.

Capers has done pretty well in Green Bay, meanwhile Brian Stewart has never amounted to anything anywhere else.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't really want to defend Garrett, but what he had suggested was for Capers to be added to the staff as a defensive assistant, and Brian Stewart cried his eyes out to Wade because he knew the next move was to strip him of DC duties.

Wade was a dumbfuck for naming Stewart the DC, the following year he got so bad that Wade had to take back over the defensive playcalling and that's when our defense went on a sack rampage.

Capers has done pretty well in Green Bay, meanwhile Brian Stewart has never amounted to anything anywhere else.

That I do remember. Stewart was the one that balked about Capers coming on board. I remember wanting Capers here at the time but he’s had his crappy moments in Green Bay too.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett wanted Capers because he was trying to already set up his assistants before he even had the head coaching job, just like when he convinced Jerry to hire Houck for OL coach over the guy the head coach wanted, Mike Solari. There were even articles written back then about how it was obvious Garrett was trying to get his assistants in position for when he took over... and of course Jerry mostly complied because Garrett was the eventual plan all along.

That's why I don't blame Phillips or Stewart for not wanting Capers. It was obvious they were being put on an island. This is exactly why people call Garrett a backstabber.

When you think about what a fiasco that was with an OC not supportive of the HC and with his own agenda, it's almost surprising we won as many games as we did back then.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

It's not about defending Garrett. I was one of the biggest detractors to Stewart. I thought he was a bitch going public expressing how he would "be uncomfortable with Capers on staff". You do not do that shit even if you feel that way. You a fucking rookie DC. Add to that, while DC he was giving physically telling what defensive schemes were being ran by physically doing signals, as if the opposing offenses could not decipher the signals.

Stewart was as bad a DC as Garrett has proven to be a bad OC and an even worse HC. My point was, he objected to Reeves being brought on board, but yet going to try to make suggestions on the defensive side of the ball, when he a rookie OC himself and have no skins on the wall. I think we all can agree that neither Stewart nor Garrett should have been given their positions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom