MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I been saying all along Art Briles and one of the local shows or journalists agreed. He is right up Jerry's alley: A drinking buddy who will do anything for a buck, and give Jerry credit if they miraculously win.

Even with all the controversy at Baylor that took place under his watch? I’m not sure that even Jerry would want to put up with that PR shit storm.

There is one former college coach that I think Jerry would seriously consider. Bob Stoops. First, he’s available. Second, Jerry would have the option to keep any of his current staff. Then, their friends. I personally think it would be a horrible idea but it seems like a total Jerry move.

Also quick question for you guys, why hasn’t Urban Meyer ever been given a shot in the NFL?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There is one former college coach that I think Jerry would seriously consider. Bob Stoops. First, he’s available. Second, Jerry would have the option to keep any of his current staff. Then, their friends. I personally think it would be a horrible idea but it seems like a total Jerry move.

LOL

right up jeri's alley and if brought another mother fucker from OU off the damn couch then that would have to prove that jeri jones really hates Cowboy fans

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score

He could bring Mike Stoops in with him to run the Defense.

That would be just.....freakin.......perfect.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
740b56c9e6897bc514f3b8fb3b0bc96f.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Even with all the controversy at Baylor that took place under his watch? I’m not sure that even Jerry would want to put up with that PR shit storm.

I wondered about that myself. The icing on the cake there might be if Stoops and Switzer are close. Despite being fired, I think the Switz still loves him some Jerruh and if drunken Jones' comes calling on Stoops about being HC and Switz is also in Stoops' ear, might have a chance there.

Also quick question for you guys, why hasn’t Urban Meyer ever been given a shot in the NFL?

I had heard a few times that Meyer was intrigued about coaching in the NFL, but IIRC he has some health issues (heart I believe) and he might not stand the rigor of the 12-18 hour NFL day.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not that I know anything, but I follow OU and I don't think he wants to coach anymore. IMO he was tired of the day to day grind even his last few years at OU.

Sudden thought: If you really want the next McVay, you know who that could be in a year or two? The current coach at OU. Extremely smart and creative. Of course I always wonder why any of these college coaches would want to go pro, unless they just hate recruiting.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Not that I know anything, but I follow OU and I don't think he wants to coach anymore. IMO he was tired of the day to day grind even his last few years at OU.

Sudden thought: If you really want the next McVay, you know who that could be in a year or two? The current coach at OU. Extremely smart and creative. Of course I always wonder why any of these college coaches would want to go pro, unless they just hate recruiting.

If I was looking for the next McVay I would look right at John DeFilippo in Philly. Was the OC in Cleveland when McCown has having a good year and for the last two years has been the QB coach in Philly. Obviously he’s done a great job with Wentz.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If the rumblings about Jon Gruden possibly returning to coaching are true, our best chance to land him might only come to fruition if the Redskins fire his brother (cant see Jon wanting to coach in the same division with his brother twice a year)

of course if we were to somehow land Gruden (which would be a massive improvement over Clapper and perhaps a God-send to Prescott's career) the downside might be Gruden would want to keep Rod Marinelli in place as DC (was on his Tampa staff and reportedly likes him a lot). Unless maybe Marinelli retires.

Another upside to potentially hiring Gruden is he might bring his bro (Jay) to be OC and bring back Bill Callahan as OL coach.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If the rumblings about Jon Gruden possibly returning to coaching are true, our best chance to land him might only come to fruition if the Redskins fire his brother (cant see Jon wanting to coach in the same division with his brother twice a year)

of course if we were to somehow land Gruden (which would be a massive improvement over Clapper and perhaps a God-send to Prescott's career) the downside might be Gruden would want to keep Rod Marinelli in place as DC (was on his Tampa staff and reportedly likes him a lot). Unless maybe Marinelli retires.

Another upside to potentially hiring Gruden is he might bring his bro (Jay) to be OC and bring back Bill Callahan as OL coach.

That idea is gold. Pure gold. I personally doubt Jay gets fired this year -- I think he's done a pretty decent job, honestly -- but I don't think there's any way Garrett will either no matter how bad we finish. But next year? Yeah.

Love the idea of bringing back Callahan, too. The talk always was that he was Jerry's guy from the start. Red was the one Callahan came to hate (smart man) and wanted away from ASAP.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That idea is gold. Pure gold. I personally doubt Jay gets fired this year -- I think he's done a pretty decent job, honestly -- but I don't think there's any way Garrett will either no matter how bad we finish. But next year? Yeah.

Love the idea of bringing back Callahan, too. The talk always was that he was Jerry's guy from the start. Red was the one Callahan came to hate (smart man) and wanted away from ASAP.

Wouldn’t shock me if he brought Callahan back as the HC.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Those are a lot of "if's". Gruden't been out of the game for a while so I wonder if he'd be a good coaching fit but anything would be better than the Red Dolt. I also don't think Callahan would want to come back. Jerry and Jason did him dirty here with the play calling and I also recall we may have kept him under contract when he wanted to leave. We did the same thing with Sporano as well.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
here's where it all began to fall apart:

No self serving respectable coach would give up control of players, coaches and/or trainers (to a lesser extent). Jerry knew Jimmy would never go for it but he also knew Campo, Wade and Jason would. Probably Gailey as well.

Top Bottom