Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jimmy was his room mate at Arkansas thats why he hired him. Pure luck. If his room mate had been Switzer or John Doe that would have been the hire and we would be looking at 40 years since the last Lombardi.

Jimmy's book tells it accurately. Jerry had heen following Jimmy's coaching career and for years had said he would hire him if ever he got a team. They didn't socialize and never ran in the same circles, Jerry merely followed his career just like a lot of NFL GMs did including Tex.

Switzer DID run in a lot of the same circles as Jerry, and DID socialize with him, and wasn't in the running.

It was a no-brainer to hire Jimmy at that time and their rooming together was a chance thing from 24 years prior and only because it was assigned alphabetically.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jimmy's book tells it accurately. Jerry had heen following Jimmy's coaching career and for years had said he would hire him if ever he got a team. They didn't socialize and never ran in the same circles, Jerry merely followed his career just like a lot of NFL GMs did including Tex.

Switzer DID run in a lot of the same circles as Jerry, and DID socialize with him, and wasn't in the running.

It was a no-brainer to hire Jimmy at that time and their rooming together was a chance thing from 24 years prior and only because it was assigned alphabetically.

Yeah but Jerry hired him the first place because he knew him and was "comfortable" with him. Until of course Jimmy's ability led to two SB's and the credit went to Jimmy. Then Jerry wasnt as comfortable. The only time the whole comfort thing worked was Jimmy in the first place and Switzer with Jimmy's aging roster. Since then comfort has lead to decades of misery and billions in Jerry's pocket.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yim is a closet Garrett fan...

Nope, I've clearly and openly expressed exactly how I feel about Garrett multiple times here. My perceived support of Garrett has always been an indictment of the shitty gm. The homer in me was optimistic that his lifetime of exposure to football and some other traits might bode well for him and in turn the team but alas...

I'm trying to find the posts I've made here about him so I can repost them here, but I'm having little luck with the internal search function and/or google, here's one recent post I made about Garrett:

prior to seeing him coach, I was optimistic about his pedigree of his father being a coach & scout, he was a player in the NFL, been in the NFL as a player or coach since 93' (ish), appears to be intelligent, student of the game, despite being cliche says many things I think are important.

What I didn't realize is that he is WOEFULLY lacking in the experience department. He hasn't been in the trenches for years with his ass on the line, working at grunt jobs in order to earn his way up the coaching tree until he finally gets his shot at the big time. He doesn't have the well of experience to pull from when faced with the high stress decisions NFL coaches face and no amount of talking to other coaches can make up for what he lacks.

I also didn't realize how ridiculously conservative he is and I think its based on fear. His fear is born from lack of knowledge/experience which produces confidence.

Add the fact that jeri renders him powerless and there is nothing for the players to fear when it comes to Jason and I think a healthy fear is a good thing when it comes to many of life's endeavors.

PS.. I also thought he could work with jeri which is a monstrous obstacle for any coach to overcome here

I did however find this hilarious doozy:

A2C480X.jpg

LOL. thats gotta be some kind of record no one will ever break

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think he's proven to be a horrible coach though. There's stuff you can clearly point to Jones and say "that's on him" but when it comes to how poorly prepared the team is and especially all the blatant examples of in game mismanagement, that's all on Garrett, and that also means he isn't "irrelevant" because he finds ways to damage the teams chances.

Well he did hire Jimmy and got that right (granted, it was once) so there's always a chance (albeit slight) he does the right thing again. Finding the right coach shouldn't be that hard if he would accept that what he is doing CLEARLY isn't working, and 21 (and soon to be 22) years of mediocrity should be enough for even the biggest fucktard hayseed to see it's time to change.

deck chairs on the Titanic, wait and see...

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well he did hire Jimmy and got that right (granted, it was once) so there's always a chance (albeit slight) he does the right thing again. Finding the right coach shouldn't be that hard if he would accept that what he is doing CLEARLY isn't working, and 21 (and soon to be 22) years of mediocrity should be enough for even the biggest fucktard hayseed to see it's time to change.
When you say there is a chance you mean about the same chance as winning the Power Ball? Every hire since Jimmy left except Parcels (who got hired because Jerry wanted a new stadium) has been an obvious disaster. Jerry only hires weak coaches who are gonna milk the checks as long as they keep coming as long as they give Jerry the credit on the million to one chance they win. The next hire will be no different.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah but Jerry hired him the first place because he knew him and was "comfortable" with him. Until of course Jimmy's ability led to two SB's and the credit went to Jimmy. Then Jerry wasnt as comfortable. The only time the whole comfort thing worked was Jimmy in the first place and Switzer with Jimmy's aging roster. Since then comfort has lead to decades of misery and billions in Jerry's pocket.
I am pretty sure Jerry never had any respect for the coaching profession at large, and really in his mind Jimmy only did what Jerry thinks works - just load up on talent and that talent will win.

He doesn't have the first foggiest clue really, what coaching even is or what difference it makes.

All of this of course and what you added as well is beside the point - that Jerry should get NO credit whatsoever for the no-brainer decision to hire Jimmy. No matter his reason for doing so, it's not like he's any evaluator of coaching talent because he has no idea what that would look like. Then or now.

Reaction score
Nope, I've clearly and openly expressed exactly how I feel about Garrett multiple times here. My perceived support of Garrett has always been an indictment of the shitty gm. The homer in me was optimistic that his lifetime of exposure to football and some other traits might bode well for him and in turn the team but alas...

I'm trying to find the posts I've made here about him so I can repost them here, but I'm having little luck with the internal search function and/or google, here's one recent post I made about Garrett:

A2C480X.jpg

ROFL! I had probably 100 posts or so, and even I had a couple dozen likes.

To be fair though, I wouldn't put it past a couple of the mods to delete likes out of pettiness. yes, a couple of them are that bad. Remember that Hostile was once a mod there too.

Jerseycowboysfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
JERRY JONES: This team will never win anything till that old liver spot of an owner we have resigns or dies. His ego is what has ruined this once proud franchise. He needs a puppet as a head coach , and Garrett is him. He needs to shut his pie hole and sign the checks and let the football minds make the football decisions .

JASON GARRETT: this guy has no business being the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys . He has proven to be mediocre at best his entire career. A good coaching staff coaches and corrects problems within a team on and off the field . Let s start with off the field , we have the most penalized and suspended players in the NFL, a byproduct of having no control over your players . On the field , we have doing the same stupid nonsense for 10 years now . We have committed Stupod penalties galore. I mean stuff I have never seen before in games . I have not seen a team so undisciplined as us. We can’t tackle to save our lives . Nobody in that secondary can cover my grandmother . The safeties are late to help every play , not to mention they can’t cover a fat ass tight end .
Get it right jerry fire yourself , the coaching staff and start over. You are wasting prime talent on this team with bozo coaches and you.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Jersey....we're stuck until Jerry meets his maker and that doesn't look to be any time soon. We're screwed with nothing to look forward to. All this stacking of one good practice on top of another and all this building for all these years has been for nothing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

A2C480X.jpg

While I can appreciate your effort for humor, you might want to check when I last posted there.

All the b/s with "likes" pretty much came in right when I bailed on that place.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Romo also mentioned how the future was bright for the Rams and how a QB can turn a franchise around real fast. Then he mentioned what was going on in Philadelphia with Wentz.....not a word about Dallas. I don't think this guy is making these statements without some type of meaning.

Top Bottom