bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1508715761-NS_22cows49ers34AJ.jpg

Bob Sturm, SportsDayDFW.com contributor and co-host of BaD Radio weekdays from noon to 3 p.m. on SportsRadio 1310-AM and 96.7-FM The Ticket, gives his reactions to the Cowboys' win over the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday:

How much better should Cowboys fans feel after thoroughly handling a winless team?

You don't get to make your own schedule, and road games against bad teams trip up many an opponent in the NFL, so there will be no apologies issued for squashing the 49ers like an ant. They may not have sorted everything out -- time will tell -- but they looked like the 2016 version that did this to several opponents. Everything this year has taken so much effort, and to see the run set up the pass and the yardage soar and even a few takeaways was very nice. But, the 49ers are so bad right now. I will be curious to see if they win a game this year, because they look ready to fall off a cliff -- which is saying something for a team that sits at 0-7. Very poor talent level pretty much everywhere but the defensive front -- which the Cowboys carved up with ease.

What do you think of Jeff Heath and Dan Bailey's injury?

Well, it at least provided a small amount of entertainment for a game that lacked any intrigue. I would hate to lose Dan Bailey for any period of time and I am a bit surprised they don't have a better fallback plan that would likely include punter Chris Jones moving from holder, but it seems an unlikely sequence of events where Kellen Moore is not active and Dan Bailey gets hurt. We can laugh at it now, but if this game was a three-point loss, it would, of course, be a real story. They averted a disaster here, but this will cause them to have a fallback to their fallback plans.

We know San Francisco isn't the Denver or Giants defense but what specifically did the Cowboys switch up to get Zeke rolling so effectively? Is the O-Line finally figuring things out?

Without looking at the tape (for Tuesday's piece), we can only guess, but it sure looked like the Cowboys continue to counter loaded boxes with 22 and 13 personnel groupings, and the tight ends are helping the offensive line get some wins on these plays. I also think there is a little more misdirection (using Ryan Switzer and Cole Beasley in motion so much) and more man blocking mixed in with the zone plays. In other words, variety and keeping the defense off balance.

What'd you think of Cooper Rush's being active and making his rookie debut?

I thought it was a matter of time, and I think we circled this week -- after the bye -- as when they might be looking to make the switch. It is quite a development, of course, but they clearly think Cooper Rush is a better QB than Moore and just wanted another six weeks to be sure that he grasped everything in the scheme and was comfortable. This might be a big deal around the next corner, but it is nice to see this organization bet on youth. Xavier Woods, Rod Smith and a few others would like that to continue.

Were any worries/questions you had about the team quashed after today?

A loss today would have been disastrous to the direction of the season. It was vital they got to 3-3 and back on track. I am also pleased that there was no challenge about the anthem with Jerry Jones and the players.

What questions do you have that still remain about this team?

Beating teams with actual offenses will continue to be a concern for the next four weeks. Washington, Kansas City, Atlanta and Philadelphia will really challenge a defense that wasn't challenged at all today. Beyond that, it was good to see the best players continue on as their best players. Losing Zeke could kill everyone's buzz, but with Prescott and Elliott behind this line, I still think this team has a chance to roll right through any NFC playoff foes if they can get there.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I legit was worried that the 49ers would play well and the Cowboys would be in a close game... but we squashed the 49ers and I'm relieved.

Reaction score
Yeah, they stomped SF, but please don't let it go to their heads. SF might even be worse right now than Cleveland because they are having to play a green as grass rookie QB who is clearly in over his head. Oh, and having Ross from Friends as your head coach has to be a net negative as well.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, they stomped SF, but please don't let it go to their heads. SF might even be worse right now than Cleveland because they are having to play a green as grass rookie QB who is clearly in over his head. Oh, and having Ross from Friends as your head coach has to be a net negative as well.
I bet'cha they get to the SB before we do. Better GM, better HC, they'll get better players.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I bet'cha they get to the SB before we do. Better GM, better HC, they'll get better players.

The 49ers have one of the worst owners in the league. Lynch and Shanahan will probably get fired after the 49ers go 0-16.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
SF might even be worse right now than Cleveland because they are having to play a green as grass rookie QB who is clearly in over his head. Oh, and having Ross from Friends as your head coach has to be a net negative as well.

SF is probably the worst team in football. They may not win a game this year.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The 49ers have one of the worst owners in the league. Lynch and Shanahan will probably get fired after the 49ers go 0-16.
Probably not. They each have iron clad, six year contracts.
SF is probably the worst team in football. They may not win a game this year.
That says nothing good about us beating them.
As much as Garrett sucks, he would not have blown the SB like Shanahan did.
God, you're stupid. Really. Shanahan didn't "blow" the SB. The fucking Falcons DEFENSE did. And you act like Ginger hasn't BLOWN a big lead or two, this season alone?

How come we never see you around here after losses? You come chiming back in after we blow out "probably the worst team in football" and talking playoffs and super bowls. Please return to whatever hole you normally inhabit in the web and leave this site to the adults.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Speaking of playoffs and Superbowls, Sturm is on the ticket pumping us up, saying no one in the NFC scares him, and going through playoff scenarios. Anything is possible, of course, but do you guys think that's realistic? Feels to me like he's a little too excited about beating up on a horrible team. I mean, the best team we've beaten all year is the sucky Cardinals.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
God, you're stupid. Really. Shanahan didn't "blow" the SB. The fucking Falcons DEFENSE did. And you act like Ginger hasn't BLOWN a big lead or two, this season alone?

How come we never see you around here after losses? You come chiming back in after we blow out "probably the worst team in football" and talking playoffs and super bowls. Please return to whatever hole you normally inhabit in the web and leave this site to the adults.

:lol

dont run him off man, these back and forths are hilarious

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

They have without a doubt the worst ownership in the NFL though, worse than Jerry.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They have without a doubt the worst ownership in the NFL though, worse than Jerry.

But unlike Jerruh, they might have woken up and smelled the coffee.

Bad ownership but had their team in the fucking Super Bowl recently. Unlike Jerruh.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of playoffs and Superbowls, Sturm is on the ticket pumping us up, saying no one in the NFC scares him, and going through playoff scenarios. Anything is possible, of course, but do you guys think that's realistic? Feels to me like he's a little too excited about beating up on a horrible team. I mean, the best team we've beaten all year is the sucky Cardinals.

This is the MO for this team. Blow out the really bad teams and then we get some kind of false hope that we can turn it around. It's really lame. Philly is legit. I don't know how anyone can watch Wentz and not be a bit impressed with his progression. And what kills me is that he can carry his team and he may be around for years.

As it stands now, I'd bet a lot of homers are hoping guys like Wentz gets hurt. That's really the only hope we have to make a run. Losing Peters and Hicks is huge though.....

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
But unlike Jerruh, they might have woken up and smelled the coffee.

Bad ownership but had their team in the fucking Super Bowl recently. Unlike Jerruh.

Because he hired Harbaugh. He also ran off Harbaugh.

Top Bottom