yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I never thought I'd say this but I'm to the point where not having jeri and his clan part of the team would be worth giving up those 3 Super Bowls of the 90's and taking my chances with another owner.

Had an ownership group lead by Roger Staubach bought the team, I feel confident they'd have as many or more Super Bowls over the same period of time plus we'd have a team and owner we could be proud.

Of course there's a chance things could be worse, but I doubt it.

What say you?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tex wanted Jimmy long before Jerruh even sniffed a purchase. The new group you speak of likely does retire Tom with honor and brings in Jimmy. Unknown if Tex gives Jimmy the free initial hand Jerruh did.

But I would have loved to have seen it so yeah, trade in the three Lombardis and unwork time.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Tex wanted Jimmy long before Jerruh even sniffed a purchase. The new group you speak of likely does retire Tom with honor and brings in Jimmy. Unknown if Tex gives Jimmy the free initial hand Jerruh did.

But I would have loved to have seen it so yeah, trade in the three Lombardis and unwork time.

For some reason I thought Staubach was part of a group trying to buy the team around that time. Am I dreaming or was that a thing?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No way. I was 15 and a sophomore in HS when they won in 1992 and had some of the most fun living through those 3 SB runs. I had an uncle that was like my dad and he and I went to several games during those years before he died. We had some very memorable moments watching the Cowboys dominate the league during that time.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yes those were SWEET times, especially the 92 championship in SF.

4 year run vs the last 22 years?

Hmmm....the 22 is weighing heavy on the 4

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If those 3 Superbowls were spread out over the Jones tenure, and the franchise had been in the playoff mix most seasons, I would probably be lauding Jerry right now. But after that initial splurge of success we've had 20+ years of irrelevance, except for the odd year here or there. It's testing all but the weird homer fan's patience. Landry only won 2 Superbowls in 29 years, and there were many disappointments, but they were rarely irrelevant.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If those 3 Superbowls were spread out over the Jones tenure, and the franchise had been in the playoff mix most seasons, I would probably be lauding Jerry right now. But after that initial splurge of success we've had 20+ years of irrelevance, except for the odd year here or there. It's testing all but the weird homer fan's patience. Landry only won 2 Superbowls in 29 years, and there were many disappointments, but they were rarely irrelevant.

Thats the thing I find so hopelessly exasperating. Jeri has had 22 years to show his hand and its clearly a loser and never going to improve.

Where's the hope?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Those 3 Super Bowls should be 4 or 5 if the two JJ's could have gotten along with the success. Only Jerry could royally screw that up.

Reaction score
Those 3 Super Bowls should be 4 or 5 if the two JJ's could have gotten along with the success. Only Jerry could royally screw that up.

Yep, apologists would be shocked by such a statement as irrational, but the truth is that the 3 SB in 4 years was actually underachievement. That core team had 5 Super Bowls in them. I also strongly believe they go 16-0 in 1993 without the Emmitt hold out.

JPP1974

Ready for Summertime
Reaction score
Yeah as really think that Jimmy Johnson if he were at the helm back them could had won them all. Not just more than three but about all of them. Just hate that Jerry Jones screwed that up.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I never thought I'd say this but I'm to the point where not having jeri and his clan part of the team would be worth giving up those 3 Super Bowls of the 90's and taking my chances with another owner.

Had an ownership group lead by Roger Staubach bought the team, I feel confident they'd have as many or more Super Bowls over the same period of time plus we'd have a team and owner we could be proud.

Of course there's a chance things could be worse, but I doubt it.

What say you?

Yep I want Jerry and his nitwit family gone so bad I can taste it. I'd give up those three Lombardi's to be rid of the Jones plague tomorrow. BTW if not for Jerry's ego it would be 4 Lombardi's.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Considering the 92-95 seasons were my fondest Cowboy memories I would not trade them for anything

Sure we’ve had 20 years of mediocrity

But what team hasn’t? LOL

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No fucking way. The 89 season was obviously brutal, but what Jimmy built was one for the ages.

Jerry got three things right as owner:

1) Hired Jimmy
2) Overruled Parcells on Ware over Spears
3) National Anthem

But those teams were amazing to watch, no way I'd trade it.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No fucking way. The 89 season was obviously brutal, but what Jimmy built was one for the ages.

Jerry got three things right as owner:

1) Hired Jimmy
2) Overruled Parcells on Ware over Spears
3) National Anthem

But those teams were amazing to watch, no way I'd trade it.

Yes they were amazing but this shits getting old

Also, you forgot one big one, jeri wrote a check for over a million to induce Walker to accept the trade to the Vikings, that was a lot of money for jeri at the time and he deserves mega kudos for facilitating the trade that made those Cowboys

you would think jeri would be happy with this but hell nah

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
God no. The whole point is to win championships, so why give them up? Besides, Jerry can't live forever, and his son might be wise enough to hire a real GM.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
God no. The whole point is to win championships, so why give them up? Besides, Jerry can't live forever, and his son might be wise enough to hire a real GM.

Baby Jerry is going to blow the NFL world away the day after papa Jerry dies by hiring Jimmy Johnson as GM and head of player personnel and player acquisitions

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Absolutely I would give up those three SB wins to have Jerry and his family (including Garrett) out of here.

The past is the past and doesn't mean much now IMO. And who is to say the team wouldn't have won or contended with some other owner anyway?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Absolutely I would give up those three SB wins to have Jerry and his family (including Garrett) out of here.

The past is the past and doesn't mean much now IMO. And who is to say the team wouldn't have won or contended with some other owner anyway?

Teams like the 91-95 Cowboys come around about once every 10-20 years or so, so the odds that we'd have duplicated that type of success are damn slim. Jimmy was sensational, as bad as Jones is an owner/GM he got it right once and Jimmy built a dominant team that almost assuredly wouldn't have been done by anyone else.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It wouldn't have looked exactly the same and we probably wouldn't have won three SBs, but we still could have become an excellent team and won a title or two. We know we'd have drafted Aikman no matter who the owner was, and having a HOF QB in place is the biggest piece of the puzzle.

Plus... That's so long ago. Yes, the 1992 NFCC win over the Niners is my favorite game ever. But the 1995 season title doesn't do a lot for me right now.

Top Bottom