dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What shitty FA kicker we signing next week and who do we drop off the roster?

Don't know what he is doing now in terms of a roster or practice sqaud, but that kid we had in preseason was pretty good

Reaction score
If the PAT's were from where they used to be then yeah, but they arnt.

It's nice to have punters that have some placekicking skill, but it isn't the norm. Especially now with the PAT being a mid range FG

What makes more logical sense: that your Punter handle placekicking duties because they would have practiced for it all year at least once per week with a normal coaching staff just in case, OR - "oh shit, the kicker got hurt, can anybody placekick at all? really, just Heath? anyone else?"

The punting skill set is at least related to the placekicking skill set. Safety is in another galaxy.

And let's be real here. Garrett had no plans for an emergency, and hasn't had his punter practicing emergency kicking. He had to put the call out, and Heath was the only one who could do it. Shit, Garrett probably found out at the time of the injury that Heath had some competency. He got caught with his coaching 101 pants around his ankles again. He only got away with it because SF was horrible today. If this had been a game that came down to last second FGs we likely lose.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What makes more logical sense: that your Punter handle placekicking duties because they would have practiced for it all year at least once per week with a normal coaching staff just in case, OR - "oh shit, the kicker got hurt, can anybody placekick at all? really, just Heath? anyone else?"

The punting skill set is at least related to the placekicking skill set. Safety is in another galaxy.

And let's be real here. Garrett had no plans for an emergency, and hasn't had his punter practicing emergency kicking. He had to put the call out, and Heath was the only one who could do it. Shit, Garrett probably found out at the time of the injury that Heath had some competency. He got caught with his coaching 101 pants around his ankles again. He only got away with it because SF was horrible today. If this had been a game that came down to last second FGs we likely lose.

Jeff Heath's been the emergency kicker for awhile now, they even mentioned it during the game.

If Bailey cant kick next week then someone else will be signed to be the PK for the game vs Washington.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Brandon George

@DMN_George

Cowboys S Jeff Heath was a high school kicker at Lake Orion in Michigan. He once made a game-winning 49-yard field goal to give Lake Orion a playoff victory over Sterling Heights Stevenson.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Garrett had a plan for a back up kicker in place. His plan to have Heath as the back up has been in place since the played the Niners last season.

So he was prepared for this scenario. His plan just happens to be a shitty one.

So it’s not so much that he was unprepared, he was just inadequately prepared just as he is for every other coaching scenario

Reaction score
Some stats and trends against SF

The Cowboys have retaken the lead in the head to head series against SF 18-17-2. Despite the lackluster last two decades, the Cowboys still lead the series against most other teams. Only a small group have a .500 or winning record head to head vs Dallas. The Cowboys lead the series against 24 of the 31 other NFL teams. I'm not sure if this is a league best, because lots more research would need to be done to check.

The Cowboys have defeated SF 5 out of the last 6 times.

The Cowboys have beaten SF 4 straight times on the road.

Reaction score
Garrett had a plan for a back up kicker in place. His plan to have Heath as the back up has been in place since the played the Niners last season.

So he was prepared for this scenario. His plan just happens to be a shitty one.

So it’s not so much that he was unprepared, he was just inadequately prepared just as he is for every other coaching scenario

It's actually worse news to me that Heath as emergency kicker was the plan all along.

FFS! We do not live in a world of men any longer.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This rivalry is all but dead

The Niners haven’t been and won’t be relevant in a long time.

Not that we have as of late but at least we look to be turning the corner.

As for the Niners at least they will get their choice of QB’s in this years draft

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

IIRC, Heath is a left footed kicker and kicks all the time in practice to emulate left footed kickers. He was the kicker in high school also, I'm pretty sure he was the planned back up. Whether that was a good decision or not can be debated but I dont think its accurate to say they were unprepared

Reaction score
IIRC, Heath is a left footed kicker and kicks all the time in practice to emulate left footed kickers. He was the kicker in high school also, I'm pretty sure he was the planned back up. Whether that was a good decision or not can be debated but I dont think its accurate to say they were unprepared

Yeah, I wasn't aware of this as explained above. Mea Culpa.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Fuck Jeff Heath, what’s the word on Sean Lee? How many games is he expected to miss now?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No shit

We all saw him limping along during the game and getting checked out on the sideline

What is it this week? another Hammy?
His knee again?
Sprained ankle again?
A fucking hangnail?

The suspense is killing me

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We ran up 501 total offensive yards and Dak finished with a 134.0 passer rating with NO turnovers. Not a bad day at all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's actually worse news to me that Heath as emergency kicker was the plan all along.

FFS! We do not live in a world of men any longer.

Once upon a time Bill Belichick had Wes Welker as an emergency kicker dude.

There's plenty of other legit shit to bitch and moan about from this game, using Jeff Heath as the emergency kicker is not one of them, or even close to being something worth wasting time on.

Bad tackling, more poor game management in a couple of instances and a pass defense which still struggles to make plays on the ball are far more concerning to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

No team is "prepared" to lose the only kicker on their teams during a game.

Unless your a fan of having two roster spots used for a kicker, like a certain GM of this team did years ago.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
did they say he got injured again??

He was hobbling around during the game a couple of times, they showed it.

Didn't hear any mention of injury news on him after game though. Also haven't heard an update on Bailey yet either.

Hopefully it's a good sign that he was able to stay on the sideline (and stand at that) the remainder of the game. It was reported to be a groin injury.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sam Irwin Hill was the kicker we had on the roster during preseason and he did a pretty solid job.

In the preseason he was 2//3 on FG's and made all his PAT's during preseason. I think most of his kickoffs were touchbacks as well.

I'm sure that if Bailey cant go they'd consider some other vets as well though.

Top Bottom