Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well shit

The Eagles are looking like the real deal this year

While we look like a steaming pile of dogshit

And that was with Zeke playing. Just imagine how shitty we will be with Zeke gone
Probably not any different. He wasn't doing shit so far as it was. He's not God. He's not even really, all that good. Nothing even close to last year, can't even fucking block.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tonight we saw two teams which are aggressive, because their coaches have that philosophy. They are NOT into the whole "take what they give you" shit. They are into, "attack, every play every way." They are into dictating to the opponent not being dictated to.

Think about that. The Dallas Cowboys since Jimmy left, are passive. We don't attack, we don't assert ourselves and we don't impose our will. We don't dictate, we follow. It starts with the opening kickoff and all kickoffs - we ALWAYS try to get the touchback. Because that is the safest thing - no chance of a TD return there, right? But what it does is set a tone, we are willing to give up the chance of a fumble, or the "hidden yards" tackling them before they reach the 25, might bring us. We are willing to sacrifice big plays, to be safe. This permeates the entire team, and everything we do. When is the last time we blocked a punt, or a FG, or a extra point? When is the last time our ST scored a point? See?

Did you see the defensive lines in this game tonight? They were not settling for the official line of scrimmage, as the scrimmage line. They were charging ahead on the snap, using upfield pressure on every play, making the line of scrimmage five or six yards upfield, disrupting the opponent offense. Especially Philadelphia. Carolina was having to simulate this, via blitzes. But the philosophy was the same.

Did you notice both head coaches tonight were from the tree of the current undefeated KC head coach? Oh yeah, that brings up the question, what's Garrett's coaching tree? Surely by now he's got at least one assistant who is a head coach in this league, right?

Andy Reid has seven of them.

Philadelphia and Kansas City are gonna slaughter us. We're lambs and they are wolves.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Tonight we saw two teams which are aggressive, because their coaches have that philosophy. They are NOT into the whole "take what they give you" shit. They are into, "attack, every play every way." They are into dictating to the opponent not being dictated to.

Take what they give you... then what? The interesting thing is that Garrett does this on the opening drive of the game, but doesn't with the opening drive of the second half. I guess his "thinking" is that, 'what worked in the first half should work in the second half, regardless of the opposing defense's adjustments".

Such foolishness. But that is what one has to abide by when they are simply unable to make adjustments.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Did you notice both head coaches tonight were from the tree of the current undefeated KC head coach? Oh yeah, that brings up the question, what's Garrett's coaching tree? Surely by now he's got at least one assistant who is a head coach in this league, right?

Philadelphia and Kansas City are gonna slaughter us. We're lambs and they are wolves.

And Andy Reid is from the Mike Holmgren tree, and Homgren from the Bill Walsh tree. That's why I call bullshit on people who claim that Belicek is the greatest HC of all time. No. That distinction belongs to Bill Walsh. Nearly 40 years has passed since Walsh began coaching, and his influence is still in effect. I will say that Belicek is possibly the best tactician of all time, but show me the Belicek tree. Show me his assistants that have had success from coming under him. Hell! Par4cells you can say has been more successful than Belecek. Parcells has produced two Super Bowl winning HCs: Belecek and Coughlin.

Reaction score
XtA10a1.jpg

Nice work! :coolbeer

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Think about that. The Dallas Cowboys since Jimmy left, are passive. We don't attack, we don't assert ourselves and we don't impose our will. We don't dictate, we follow. It starts with the opening kickoff and all kickoffs - we ALWAYS try to get the touchback. Because that is the safest thing - no chance of a TD return there, right? But what it does is set a tone, we are willing to give up the chance of a fumble, or the "hidden yards" tackling them before they reach the 25, might bring us. We are willing to sacrifice big plays, to be safe. This permeates the entire team, and everything we do. When is the last time we blocked a punt, or a FG, or a extra point? When is the last time our ST scored a point? See?

Did you see the defensive lines in this game tonight? They were not settling for the official line of scrimmage, as the scrimmage line. They were charging ahead on the snap, using upfield pressure on every play, making the line of scrimmage five or six yards upfield, disrupting the opponent offense. Especially Philadelphia. Carolina was having to simulate this, via blitzes. But the philosophy was the same.

Garretts conservatism drives me nuts, he pretty much projects the exact opposite of this:

.. - YouTube

When I was learning to drive, my parents would be in the car with me freaking the fuck out at my every move. It was so bad, I couldn't concentrate on driving and was doing all kinds of stupid shit like running stop signs, not seeing obvious hazards, etc. One day I was trying to drive with my mom next to me barking the whole way and I ran right through a stop sign because I was so frazzled. She started screaming and I slammed on the breaks and we did a 360 in the middle of the intersection and I lost it and screamed at my mom to get off my fucking back and let me drive!! She shut up and everything was cool from then on.

I get the feeling Garrett is constantly chirping not to make mistakes and its got the players so frazzled they can't play aggressive (although I agree that attacking aggression doesn't seem to be the coaching style here). I remember a preseason post game interview with Brandon Weeden and was thinking damn, he looks shell shocked already and seemed incredibly paranoid like I felt when I was learning to drive. I got the distinct impression he was being coached not to fuck up.

In regards to jeri, an overlooked quality of his that serves him well in virtually every other area of his life is his optimism and positivity. I dont think he likes the negative style of coaching that the Jimmys of the world use with discretion. Being an oil wildcatter, he had to be UBER-optimistic in order to take the risks he did with a likely high failure rate. Running my own business, I feel the same way and cant stand being around can't-do people that get in my way and the work environment is way better when I have an optimistic team of can-do people.

The problem with the current NFL with a salary cap and fee agency is that you have to be relentlessly critical of everything you do from jocks to socks in the hope of identifying an edge that can be improved upon, whether that be a player, coach, expenditure or philosophy. This isn't being negative for the sake of being negative, its being constructively critical for the sake of improvement.

I dont recall ever hearing jeri express this kind of mentality. In fact, it seems he believes the opposite and players are crowned and overhyped before the ink is even dry on their first contract. I think he falls in love with players and thinks he can just praise them into being good players when in reality his attitude creates complacency and a lack of hunger.

This is a huge part of the problem imho, because jeri is too old to change now and its likely his offspring is a chip off the old block (I do have some hope that Stephen may be different as he seems willing and capable of letting players go and not over-paying which I agree with--except when it came to Dez who I wanted franchised but I suspect jeri overruled anyone pushing for that)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Garretts conservatism drives me nuts, he pretty much projects the exact opposite of this:
That video is interesting, he is quoting directly from his book there.

What Garrett has isn't "conservatism" it is fear. He coaches scared. Probably lives scared as well.
In regards to jeri, an overlooked quality of his that serves him well in virtually every other area of his life is his optimism and positivity. I dont think he likes the negative style of coaching that the Jimmys of the world use with discretion.
Jimmy used a POSITIVE style, not negative at all. He was all about planting POSITIVE seeds - that's what his speech about the 2 by 4 was all about.

Jerruh simply has no respect for coaching. He thinks all you have to do is assemble the best roster and your talent will prevail. It's never been that way - it does help greatly if you can do that, like you could in the 90s - but even then you had to have a dynamic coach who could manage all the personalities and get them all to buy-in to the concepts.

Today with the salary cap and parity, free-agency and all, the talent pool is pretty equally distributed around the league, there's really no team with overwhelmingly better talent than any other - and coaching has become paramount. Much more important than it ever was. Jerruh does not realize this because he still to this day thinks "100 guys could coach this team."

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That video is interesting, he is quoting directly from his book there.

What Garrett has isn't "conservatism" it is fear. He coaches scared. Probably lives scared as well.
Jimmy used a POSITIVE style, not negative at all. He was all about planting POSITIVE seeds - that's what his speech about the 2 by 4 was all about.

Let me elaborate, I said:

the negative style of coaching that the Jimmys of the world use with discretion

By negative, I mean that's how jeri views Jimmy. Jimmy and Parcells made people uncomfortable, I believe jeri views that as negative and eschews that style of coaching. Telling a player "the asthma field is over there" is not in Jeri's wheelhouse because he never wants to feel uncomfortable so by extension, the players won't either.

Jerruh simply has no respect for coaching. He thinks all you have to do is assemble the best roster and your talent will prevail. It's never been that way - it does help greatly if you can do that, like you could in the 90s - but even then you had to have a dynamic coach who could manage all the personalities and get them all to buy-in to the concepts.

Today with the salary cap and parity, free-agency and all, the talent pool is pretty equally distributed around the league, there's really no team with overwhelmingly better talent than any other - and coaching has become paramount. Much more important than it ever was. Jerruh does not realize this because he still to this day thinks "100 guys could coach this team."

Oh he realizes it but he's too egotistical and prideful to admit it (plus fully steeped in denial) because it would require him not only eating crow publicly on this issue but also stepping back and allowing a coach to do their job which would inevitably make that coach the face of the franchise, something jeri covets more than anything so he will never relent on this issue until he's 6 feet under (& maybe not even then, it wouldn't surprise me if he has something written into his will). I suspect he whispers the following under his breath when anyone dare mention the subject of stepping back & hiring a GM:

From my Cold Dead Hands! - YouTube

Last edited:

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Garrett's coaching tree? LMAO when I read that. His coaching tree is equivalent to that broken twig lying next to the curb after its been run over 10 times. There will be no coaching tree. NEVER. He doesnt teach anything or set any example that anybody would want to follow. Its why he always needs coordinators and asst's who have more experience than he does because he has no clue.

A Garrett Coaching Tree :rofl3

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
he still to this day thinks "100 guys could coach this team."

FYI: IIRC, the quote was:

Anyone of 500 guys could coach this team

and I think it was meant as a shot at Jimmy.

A lot of guys could have coached that team, but very few could have built that team and that includes jeri the deluded dumbass that thinks he did

Reaction score
FYI: IIRC, the quote was:

and I think it was meant as a shot at Jimmy.

A lot of guys could have coached that team, but very few could have built that team and that includes jeri the deluded dumbass that thinks he did

Brings me back to one of my most pondered what ifs: what if Jerry had simply promoted Joe Avezzano to head coach instead of bringing in Switzer. The players, especially Aikman, wouldn't have been as pissed off as they were, and Coach Joe was a hard ass like Jimmy was. I believe that he would have kept them focused enough to win in 1994, and complete the 4 straight SB wins a year later.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
San Fran just released Navarro Bowman

I wouldn’t mind picking him up

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Bowman can choose where he want to go right? No waivers for a vet?

crazy, he signed a 22M guaranteed extension last August

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'm not sure he coaches scared as much as he coaches from a complete lack of experience. He simply doesn't know what to do. Anyone that's any good at what he or she does can probably dig deep into a bag a of experience to make an informed decision. That's not Garrett. He's ignorant in the fact that he thinks he knows what he's doing but he doesn't, nor will he ever admit it or the facade will crumble. The problem with that is that the players and other coaches know he doesn't know (if that makes any sense)....and that's the worst thing for any leader. You can pretend for only so long before people realize you're a fraud.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And Andy Reid is from the Mike Holmgren tree, and Homgren from the Bill Walsh tree. That's why I call bullshit on people who claim that Belicek is the greatest HC of all time. No. That distinction belongs to Bill Walsh. Nearly 40 years has passed since Walsh began coaching, and his influence is still in effect. I will say that Belicek is possibly the best tactician of all time, but show me the Belicek tree. Show me his assistants that have had success from coming under him. Hell! Par4cells you can say has been more successful than Belecek. Parcells has produced two Super Bowl winning HCs: Belecek and Coughlin.

Which gets back to the point I just made. Guys like Holmgren, Reid, Walsh, Parcells, Jimmy, and even Belichick are "leaders" which I think is an important attribute to go along with their football knowledge. They identify their assistant coaches and probably treat them like future head coaches. It's why Andy Reid can call Jeffrey Laurie and convince him to hire Doug Pederson. A relative nobody who was coaching HS football 10 years ago and didn't even call the plays in KC but I'd bet you he knows the offense and knows how to run a team from watching Andy Reid in Philly and KC. And he's confident in that knowledge. Just watch the guy on the sidelines and he strikes me as a guy who has some command of what he's doing. Garrett has command of nothing. Not the offense, not the defense, not the personnel, nothing.....

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score

He was certainly very invested in player psychology. I remember in his book Turning The Thing Around he said he was very deliberate in what he said to his players and how he said it. He would never say, "Don't fumble/drop the ball" because the word 'fumble' or 'drop' would be in the player's head. Instead he would say, "Protect/catch the football". Didn't work with Curvin Richards though!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He would never say, "Don't fumble/drop the ball" because the word 'fumble' or 'drop' would be in the player's head.
It was the word "don't" that he avoided. That's the negative seed. "Make this kick" "Protect the football" and "Make the catch" were definitely preferred.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
San Fran just released Navarro Bowman

I wouldn’t mind picking him up
Bowman can choose where he want to go right? No waivers for a vet?

crazy, he signed a 22M guaranteed extension last August
I'm sure teaming up with Sean Lee again would be a big incentive for him, but I'm really not sure how much he has left in the tank. Besides, signing Bowman would be effectively admitting that Jaylon Smith isn't ready and needs replacing, and I can't see Jerry wanting to admit that.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just looked at the rest of the schedule and we will be lucky if we can go 8-8

Top Bottom