yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Of course it all starts with Jerry because he's the one who coveted and finally hired Garrett.

But that doesn't absolve Garrett. He's still a lousy coach and huge fraud. And Jerry isn't the one making all these massive game management errors, either. Hell, even Jerry knows when Jason is fricking up in real time:

cache.php

Of course not but everyone absolves jeri by not howling at the moon over jeri first and foremost when its jeri that keeps Garrett and hired him in the first place

For the sake of argument, let's say every negative thing ever said about garret is true. What that means is that the General Manager who hired him and is responsible for the quality of the team on the field either:

a. doesn't see any of these flaws

b. sees them and keeps him anyway

I'll keep saying this until either myself or jeri is 6 feet under: it won't make a damn bit of difference if he fires Garrett, he'll just replace him with the same type of person but with a different set of glaring flaws that will ultimately be undermined by the jones clan and keep the team from ever winning a super bowl but give the fans all the cannon fodder they need to bitch and moan about while forgetting its the same jackass owner that is the deserving recipient of all our angst.

jeri only hires coaches he can control, are passive, is comfortable with and have a whiff (or stronger) of desperation, think about it:

Barry Switzer - sitting on his damn couch when he got the job, desperate as hell
Chan Gailey - passive yes man but perhaps he started to display his set and was shown the door
Dave Campo - Pffft, need I say more?
Bill Parcels - desperately needed money after his divorce, only hired because Jeri's desperation was even greater (i.e. the need/desire to get the new stadium)
Pillsbury Doughboy Wade Phillips - desperate, passive and a kiss ass who despite being a supposedly great DC couldn't do shit to overcome the jones clan
Jason Garret - yes man for sure, maybe not so desperate when he was hired considering Atlanta and Baltimore were interested and interviewed him.

The next coach will be the same, he'll simply be a cog in the jones clan wheel and while fans may not be able to lambast him for the same exact things they do garret, they'll have plenty of ammo because the jones clan will keep fucking things up in the background while the head coaches take the blame.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yim, I would say on the whole, Jerry gets more grief than Jason in the local media.

Also, it almost sounds like you're hoping the next coach (if we ever get one) will be just as bad and not make any difference. Why wouldn't it hurt to try? The drafting has improved a lot and Stephen is getting more say all the time. Maybe the next coach wouldn't necessarily be such a Jerry puppet.

Besides, Jerry is getting very old and I've seen that change some people at around that age.

Even if it didn't change anything, eight years is more than enough for one voice. Why not at least try something different.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this counts?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I cant remember

IIRC it was passed off as "group" thing and Garrett had to act quickly and make the call and then he took it like a man and didnt throw anybody else under the bus. You know, showing what a great coach and class act he was.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yim, I would say on the whole, Jerry gets more grief than Jason in the local media.

Also, it almost sounds like you're hoping the next coach (if we ever get one) will be just as bad and not make any difference. Why wouldn't it hurt to try? The drafting has improved a lot and Stephen is getting more say all the time. Maybe the next coach wouldn't necessarily be such a Jerry puppet.

Besides, Jerry is getting very old and I've seen that change some people at around that age.

Even if it didn't change anything, eight years is more than enough for one voice. Why not at least try something different.

Re: "it almost sounds like you're hoping the next coach (if we ever get one) will be just as bad "

GAWD NO!!!

Despite my hate for jeri, I don't want the Cowboys to suck just because I hate the man. I hate the man because he SUCKS at being an NFL GM and refuses to empower someone into that role. If jeri was a great GM, I would absolutely love the man, I don't give two shits about how successful he is financially (but I would if there was no cap and jeri spent out the ass to build dominant teams and in that case I would give him all the credit in the world).

Its just a defeatist mindset I've developed after watching jeri's bullshit the last 20+ years, I've lost hope. I had hope Garrett could intellectually work to cause positive change behind the scenes and to be honest since he's become coach, I have seen a lot of improvements. However, I can't say if thats because of Garrett or Stephens greater influence or both or neither. Suffice it to say, I have no faith anything good comes from jeri (MAYBE he was influential in getting L'eil Collins signed with the little recruiting stunt they pulled at his mansion--which I think is a good use of jeri btw).

So sure, lets try an other coach. I just don't have any faith it will work and to be honest, I think its going to be harder than its ever been under jeris ownership to bring in anyone with intensity and the Type A, take no shit kind of personality needed to constantly remind these players they aren't shit just because they wear the Cowboys uniform.

Stephen, Jerry Jr and Charlotte are immersed and entrenched deeply in the organization and there is no way some hard-ass, strong type of character is going to come in & be the face of the Cowboys like a good coach needs to be (imho). I think the kids have inherited some of their father's desire to be front and center and right in the middle of it all.

Just look at this picture from a recent draft day war room:

pNyGMiR.jpg

Hey football people, get your ass to the back of the bus!

This picture conveys how the jeri-clan run Cowboys feel to me:

U2tXGjx.jpg

I would LOVE to have a Harbaugh type coach and the staff he would likely bring and to feel like the organization as a whole was dedicated first and foremost to winning but I haven't seen that since jeri first bought the Cowboys.

The success jeri had with Jimmy and subsequent desire for credit and fame did something to the man I'll never understand nor why. I liked him when he spoke like he did in the video below and the actions of the coaches, etc mirrored his words, but ever since he ran jimmy off, its never felt like "win is the name of the game".

Win is the name of the game - YouTube

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That is great for a laugh because its all true. This thread will make you laugh and cry at the same time.

Yeah, this and the Hostile bullshit stories thread are neck and neck for greatest threads of all time. The Hostile thread is only good for a laugh though, of the pee your pants variety.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
2:30- 3:30 mark......... The whole game was an unmitigated disaster that didn't need to be but that sequence before half sums up what Garretts all about. From the unecessary TO, clock management, disgustingly bad play call on 3rd and 1 and you get a 6 point swing in a matter of seconds in a game lost by 5 points. That sequence was the definition of shatting the bed when momentum was firmly in hand.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=keU-IqHJDL4[/video]

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Its hard to know how many games we have lost because of the Red Clown. The obvious losses that no other coach in league history could lose were at least 2 per year in the back to back to back 8-8 seasons. Figuring out the total for his whole tenure would be a depressing task.

Top Bottom