yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
zVePTd0.jpg

allpurpose

Spectator
Reaction score
Uhmm..getting rid of Frank Pollack and replacing him with the venerable 'Piano man' as Paul Alexander is so lovingly referred to in Cincinnati isn't going to rank up there with the smartest moves ever made in Cowboyland.. Alexander is known to grade players based on how they shake catsup bottles among other not so brilliant things. He might entertain you with his musical skills, but unlikely to impress with his coaching styles.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Been saying this for years. Absolutely FAIL as a HC and organization in regards to this.

It's OBVIOUS the team doesn't work hard and hasn't for eons.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What's the longest anyone has been the HC of one team in the NFL without ever getting to 1) a super bowl 2) even a conference title game?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
cannot believe this has been glossed over but,

garrett not having nuts makes her the 1st female head coach in nfl history

can i get the combo meal of 1 butt slapping + 1 round of applause with extra fist pumps

CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but the single worst job of coaching I have ever seen out of a Cowboys HC was the Atlanta game last season. Defending NFC champ on the ropes at home and needing to save their season and Garrett has a QB not really playing well and missing his LT, the second most important position on the offense.

He sticks Green out there and after the first sack he gives up, Aikman realizes he's a liabaility and remarks "they've got to get him some help out there now" but does help come "now", no not until the middle of the 3Q would they think about help, just let the poor guy flounder out there.

Now, if you are the HC, OC and OL and possibly the poor QB should have been asking, wouldn't you have had a contingency plan, an immediate one, in case the guy that had never played LT in a NFL game might struggle because every coach and player on the ATL sideline was aware that Big Smitty was missing.

Did you see the interaction between the DE that had a HOF day and his guys on the sideline, they were incredulous that they were just allowing the same play over and over.

They lost the game but if I was a player on that team, they would have lost more than that with me. Coaches define their own positions as that of putting their players in their best possible position to succeed. That was the antithesis of coaching. I can only imagine what the players that are friends with Green felt for him being humiliated like that by his own coaching staff.

And hope that I ever had that Garrett would do the job long enough to learn it died that day.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

So once again he's throwing the players under the bus. Fascinating as to how this is not an issue for other coaches.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What's the longest anyone has been the HC of one team in the NFL without ever getting to 1) a super bowl 2) even a conference title game?

Right now I would have to say that Marvin Lewis holds that record then followed by Garrett. Thing is though, I do not believe Lewis ever had the #1 seed in the conference heading into the playoffs, whereas Garrett has.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Draft Picks

Average selections between hire and championship: 24.48
draft picks made by Cowboys under Garrett: 57

Most of the time when a new head coach is named it is to turn a team around, and the best way to do that is to draft well. Drafting well should establish a foundation and culture for the team that is in line with the Head Coach’s vision for success.

This April’s draft will mark the eighth time that Garrett has sat in the HC’s seat in the Cowboys draft day war room. In his tenure he has selected more than double the average amount it took for the winning coaches to form a Championship squad.

Garrett has made more selections than any of the 14 coaches at the time of their championship win, 10 more picks than the McCarthy, who made 47 before winning his first title. When it came to the average selection per year, the average championship coach made 7.96 selections each year while the former Cowboys QB made an average of 8.14.

Pro-Bowl talent

Average number of Pro-Bowl players when hired: 3.6
Average number of Pro-Bowl players on Championship teams: 5.5

Pro-Bowl players on roster when Garrett was hired: 6

Witten, Matt McBriar, DeMarcus Ware, Andre Gurode, Miles Austin, and Jay Ratliff were all named to the 2010 Pro-Bowl the year Dallas finished 6-10 and fired HC Wade Phillips mid-way through the season. The following January, Garrett was officially promoted to full-time coach.

Since his elevation, Garrett has fielded just two teams which produced as many or more Pro-Bowl players than when he was first hired. In 2014 Dallas had eight Pro Bowlers and in 2016 had six. Only Switzer and the 95 Dallas Cowboys had more Pro-Bwolers with 10 and are the only team in the study that has won a Super Bowl with double-digit Pro-Bowl selections.

Only Kubiak and Switzer inherited more Pro-Bowlers than Garrett, while Gruden and Brian Billick both had six in their first years as HC.

So in other words... no other HC had done LESS with MORE.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
And hope that I ever had that Garrett would do the job long enough to learn it died that day.

You hung in there hoping a lot longer than I was able to do. After 3 seasons of 8-8 my hope was confronted with the sad reality that the Princeton Red Fraud didnt have the football acumen needed to succeed.

CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
You hung in there hoping a lot longer than I was able to do. After 3 seasons of 8-8 my hope was confronted with the sad reality that the Princeton Red Fraud didnt have the football acumen needed to succeed.

I was just trying to make the best of a bad situation, the same as the ownership. I used to think he was an OK strategist, being the easier part of the job, and a poor tactician but I think he's poor at both now.

But I did watch part of All or Nothing and he can sure say "fuck" a lot. I kept waiting for him to say "Can't fucking believe I am getting 6 fucking million dollars to fuck this team up, is this a great fucking country, or what?"

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett’s entire coaching philosophy

“You gotta Line up and beat the man in front of you”

So umm.... coach, what happens when that doesn’t work?

“Try harder damn it”

CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
He is not a HC; he is playing the part of a HC and that works just fine for his boss.....as long as he doesn't upstage him. He's got all the coachspeak cliches down pat to sound like a HC and uses fuck a lot.

There's only one problem, come game day those players know the difference in a real HC and an actor. Actors cost them games. My one takeaway from those episodes of All or Nothing was how disinterested his players seemed and how often he repeated himself. Even the "Cowboys loud on 3" wasn't loud at all.

These players have never been around business before but that's what they've got now. And they go about their business as it is a business. Their real safe haven is on the field come game day because that closely resembles where they came from.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Let’s all hope for a 6-10 year (or worse), a top 5-10 draft pick in 2019, hope that a real coach becomes available after the 2018 season, and hope that Jeruh finally pulls the plug on this Garrett experiment

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Let’s all hope for a 6-10 year (or worse), a top 5-10 draft pick in 2019, hope that a real coach becomes available after the 2018 season, and hope that Jeruh finally pulls the plug on this Garrett experiment

We're going to have a fuck ton of cap space next year, and probably going to draft in the top half, maybe top ten.
2019 would be a good year to replace the coach as well.
Having said that, I'd hate to boot Garrett in early Jan and have a presser after the Superbowl announcing Kellen Moore as the new HC. Just not seeing a legit candidate that would want to join the Jerryworld shitshow.

Top Bottom