theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Re: "it almost sounds like you're hoping the next coach (if we ever get one) will be just as bad "

GAWD NO!!!

Despite my hate for jeri, I don't want the Cowboys to suck just because I hate the man. I hate the man because he SUCKS at being an NFL GM and refuses to empower someone into that role. If jeri was a great GM, I would absolutely love the man, I don't give two shits about how successful he is financially (but I would if there was no cap and jeri spent out the ass to build dominant teams and in that case I would give him all the credit in the world).

Its just a defeatist mindset I've developed after watching jeri's bullshit the last 20+ years, I've lost hope. I had hope Garrett could intellectually work to cause positive change behind the scenes and to be honest since he's become coach, I have seen a lot of improvements. However, I can't say if thats because of Garrett or Stephens greater influence or both or neither. Suffice it to say, I have no faith anything good comes from jeri (MAYBE he was influential in getting L'eil Collins signed with the little recruiting stunt they pulled at his mansion--which I think is a good use of jeri btw).

So sure, lets try an other coach. I just don't have any faith it will work and to be honest, I think its going to be harder than its ever been under jeris ownership to bring in anyone with intensity and the Type A, take no shit kind of personality needed to constantly remind these players they aren't shit just because they wear the Cowboys uniform.

Stephen, Jerry Jr and Charlotte are immersed and entrenched deeply in the organization and there is no way some hard-ass, strong type of character is going to come in & be the face of the Cowboys like a good coach needs to be (imho). I think the kids have inherited some of their father's desire to be front and center and right in the middle of it all.

Just look at this picture from a recent draft day war room:

pNyGMiR.jpg

Hey football people, get your ass to the back of the bus!

This picture conveys how the jeri-clan run Cowboys feel to me:

U2tXGjx.jpg

I would LOVE to have a Harbaugh type coach and the staff he would likely bring and to feel like the organization as a whole was dedicated first and foremost to winning but I haven't seen that since jeri first bought the Cowboys.

The success jeri had with Jimmy and subsequent desire for credit and fame did something to the man I'll never understand nor why. I liked him when he spoke like he did in the video below and the actions of the coaches, etc mirrored his words, but ever since he ran jimmy off, its never felt like "win is the name of the game".

Win is the name of the game - YouTube

Notice the non family members in the war room and the expressions on their faces? Not nearly as jubilant? The guy labeled as ??? looks he either got a whiff of something or they just picked the gimp at 34.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
You know, this thread should depress me but Garrett is so fucking bad I find it comical these days.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
^ That's on Jerry. Garrett is literally powerless to stop that.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
379a251a5bcd247b2c5c62a2b33c79ba.png

In just 3-4 more years Garrett will pass Jimmy in all time Cowboy wins. LOL

SAD ain’t it?

Reaction score
Now let's count playoff victories......

Tom Landry - 20 playoff wins
Jimmy Johnson - 7 playoff wins (7 in a row which is team record)
Barry Switzer - 5 playoff wins
Wade Phillips - 1 playoff win
Jason Garrett - 1 playoff win

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Tom Landry - 20 playoff wins
Jimmy Johnson - 7 playoff wins (7 in a row which is team record)
Barry Switzer - 5 playoff wins
Wade Phillips - 1 playoff win
Jason Garrett - 1 playoff win

We should give Switzer's 5 wins to Jimmy and Bob Ackles, with one asterick to Neil O'Donnell.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
BTW lets not forget Jimmy got 43 of those wins in a 4 year period. First year was a one win throw away year.

Reaction score
BTW lets not forget Jimmy got 43 of those wins in a 4 year period. First year was a one win throw away year.

Jimmy blew the team up to start over from scratch. I think 7 or 8 Landry players made the transition. Jimmy didn't care about winning any games at all that first year. The win over the Redskins was a fluke. The players won that on pure emotion. Incidentally, that was a rare penalty free game for the Cowboys.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jimmy blew the team up to start over from scratch. I think 7 or 8 Landry players made the transition. Jimmy didn't care about winning any games at all that first year. The win over the Redskins was a fluke. The players won that on pure emotion. Incidentally, that was a rare penalty free game for the Cowboys.

Who were the players that made it through the transition from Landry to Jimmy? Irvin, Tuinei, Newton, Bates, Jeffcoat and who else? Was Gesek in Dallas before Jimmy?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Top Bottom