NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
This was posted in the Zone:

Like many of you, I am very frustrated after Sunday's game against Carolina. I decided to take my frustration out on some data.

For a long time, I've wondered how Jason's tenure (relative to playoff success) stacks up against other coaches in the history of the game. Using the wikipedia list of head coaches with 50 or more wins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_head_coaches_with_50_wins), I put together a list of all coaches with:

1) 50 or more wins in their career
2) A tenure with a single team that accounts for equal or more total wins plus losses as Jason (120)

I then sorted this list by total playoff wins and losses, as well as by total playoff wins. The results?

1) There have been 51 head coaching tenures in the history of professional football that encompass 120 or more total wins and losses, including Jason Garrett.
2) Of those tenures, the Jason Garrett tenure is tied for last place at 3 total playoff games. Garrett is tied with Jack Del Rio (Jacksonville) and Weeb Ewbank (NYJ).
3) Of those tenures, the Jason Garrett tenure is tied for second-to-last place at 1 total playoff victory. Garrett is tied with Jack Del Rio (Jacksonville) and Sid Gillman (LA Rams). Only Jim More (New Orleans) and Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati) had longer tenures with less (read: 0) playoff victories.
4) If we do not return to the playoffs in the next two years, Jason Garrett's current tenure will be the worst of all time in terms of playoff appearances for tenures as long as his or longer.
5) If we do not win a playoff game in the next three years, only Marvin Lewis' current tenure will be worse than Jason Garrett's in terms of playoff victories for tenures as long as Garrett's or longer.

I may have made a mistake here or there in this list (the list isn't formatted well for dropping into Excel and sorting), but I don't think so. Even if I did, it wouldn't have impacted the final placement, only the total tenures (51).

So yeah. That's depressing. So for tenures as long or longer than this one, the Dallas Cowboys may soon be able to lay claim to the worst HC tenure of all time, with only Marvin Lewis as competition, but at least he's made it to the postseason 7 times so far. In the meantime, the Jason Garrett tenure would be top 3 to top 5 for worst tenure of all time, again only looking at tenures as long or longer than this one.

Basically, it has almost never happened before in professional football that someone was allowed to suck this long.

DDdave

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I have been on the fire JG bandwagon since the second 8-8 season. I look back at those years and its comical and painfully sad that nothing has changed at all. The Cowboys are either unprepared for entire games or at the least unprepared for second half adjustments in a game......and just like Shango says "the Cowboys are a running team that doesn't run. Those two issues alone (out of dozens) will keep the Cowboys from ever being a legitimate contender for another Championship.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
61b4aaad5bb903a5314f020464a6a254.png

Blueoxen22

Spectator
Reaction score
Just to prove your point.........What team in the NFL will hire him after he is fired? Even as a coordinator?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just to prove your point.........What team in the NFL will hire him after he is fired? Even as a coordinator?

he prob would have a job designing fancy posters and t-shirts with charlette

or they might just pay him to walk around w his shirt tucked into his shorts just below his arm pits and call him a quality control coach

id rather see garrett tucked into the cradle of a catapult and launch his ass to mexico

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you kno what

i thought about this for a whilte now(5 minutes)

lets go ahead and hire the 1st female HC in history.

i want a girl with gumption that knows her x's and o's

a girl that takes no shit

a girl that will argue tooth and nail for what she believes in

i want jimmy johnson with no johnson

since women are not born w nuts to begin with, she will successfully bypass the preliminary screening phase (DAL head coach pre-requisite = "check your nuts at the door")

and thats it folks

thats how you sneak a REAL football guy back into the franchise

that football guy must be a girl

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
you kno what

i thought about this for a whilte now(5 minutes)

lets go ahead and hire the 1st female HC in history.

i want a girl with gumption that knows her x's and o's

a girl that takes no shit

a girl that will argue tooth and nail for what she believes in

i want jimmy johnson with no johnson

since women are not born w nuts to begin with, she will successfully bypass the preliminary screening phase (DAL head coach pre-requisite = "check your nuts at the door")

and thats it folks

thats how you sneak a REAL football guy back into the franchise

that football guy must be a girl

Jerry will go along if she can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch (as long as its his hitch)

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We already have a coach with no balls

Or dick for that matter. I don’t know if replacing him with another one would be of much help

Dupree89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
What pisses me off is that Garrett is a bright guy, a football lifer.....but he cannot out-coach anyone. How is this possible? Is it just pure stubborness where he is so locked in on his beliefs where he isnt flexible? Players and assistant coaches have come and gone, yet the end results remain the same. I really dont get it.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
What pisses me off is that Garrett is a bright guy, a football lifer.....but he cannot out-coach anyone. How is this possible? Is it just pure stubborness where he is so locked in on his beliefs where he isnt flexible? Players and assistant coaches have come and gone, yet the end results remain the same. I really dont get it.

IT, he doesnt have IT. Everybody just cant apply knowledge. Jason will NEVER have IT.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What pisses me off is that Garrett is a bright guy,
I don't see where you get him being at all overly bright. He's a Ivy League automaton, just drones out all the same shit like a programmed android. He's "book smart" but otherwise just a mannequin with nary an original or creative thought or idea. He is a dullard with a degree, a useful idiot who also never learns a fucking thing from experience.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What pisses me off is that Garrett is a bright guy, a.

If he's so bright, how does he routinely butcher even the simplest game management decisions?

How come over the last several years with the best RB's and one of the best OL's in football, he cant insist on simply running the ball in from short yardage around the goal line?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't see where you get him being at all overly bright. He's a Ivy League automaton, just drones out all the same shit like a programmed android. He's "book smart" but otherwise just a mannequin with nary an original or creative thought or idea. He is a dullard with a degree, a useful idiot who also never learns a fucking thing from experience.

:gimme10

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

He got moved along too fast, he was always around football but didnt have much experience in the various roles coaches typically take on as they climb the ladder so he has nothing to pull from, books can only take you so far. He needed years of experience in the trenches making decisions under pressure, leaning from successes and mistakes to hone his craft.

His situation reminds me of monopoly when you get the card "Go directly to Jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200"

Except Garrett got a card from jeri that said "Go directly to head coach, Do not work your way up the ranks. Do collect millions"

I also think there are countless things we're not privy to that undermines the coaching Garrett is trying to do, I dont say that to defend his shortcomings elsewhere but I am virtually certain we are not seeing the exact coach he would like to be but he chose to be Jeri's lackey and he has no one to blame but himself.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
He got moved along too fast, he was always around football but didnt have much experience in the various roles coaches typically take on as they climb the ladder so he has nothing to pull from, books can only take you so far. He needed years of experience in the trenches making decisions under pressure, leaning from successes and mistakes to hone his craft.

His situation reminds me of monopoly when you get the card "Go directly to Jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200"

Except Garrett got a card from jeri that said "Go directly to head coach, Do not work your way up the ranks. Do collect millions"

I also think there are countless things we're not privy to that undermines the coaching Garrett is trying to do, I dont say that to defend his shortcomings elsewhere but I am virtually certain we are not seeing the exact coach he would like to be but he chose to be Jeri's lackey and he has no one to blame but himself.

I never played HS or college football. My dad wasnt a coach or a scout. But Ive been watching football for over 40 years. I dont have any pedigree and I wouldnt make the blunders the Red Fraud has made. And I can promise you that if I made some of the bonehead blunders Red has made I would learn not to do it again because I wouldnt want the embarrassment. Red will never be a good coach. He would have shown something by now and he has shown he's nothing but a clown as a HC.

Top Bottom