Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Joe Buck calls Dallas Cowboys loss one of worst in franchise history; Troy Aikman lashes out at clock management | SportsDay

I always have thought that Fox’s Troy Aikman had a soft spot in his broadcasting heart for the Cowboys. When it came to his former team, Aikman, from his national pulpit, preferred the analytical to the critical. And he always had gone out of his way to pat Tony Romo on the back because, well, Romo the quarterback has been Romo the playoff loser, not Troy Aikman the Super Bowl champion.

During the second half of Sunday’s Cowboys debacle at AT&T Stadium, however, Aikman came out tongue blazing. Who could blame him? His credibility was on the line.

Aikman and play-by-play voice Joe Buck proved an excoriating tag team in their critique of the Cowboys’ play-calling and clock management in Dallas’ loss to the Green Bay Packers in front of a national television audience.

In the end, Buck concluded the loss “is going to go down as one of the worst defeats in the history of the Dallas Cowboys.”

Added Aikman: “It’s hard to explain, but the clock management by the Dallas Cowboys was about as bad as I’ve seen.”

That would include the play calls that ran through head coach Jason Garrett, once Aikman’s backup quarterback and still his friend.

Orlando Scandrick, who allowed a touchdown catch to Jordy Nelson on a ball he should have intercepted, also earned criticism from Aikman, who specifically pointed out the transgression. That made the score 26-10 early in the third quarter.

Recall that the Cowboys led 26-3 at the half and 29-17 as the third quarter wound down. Inexplicably, the Cowboys insisted on throwing the ball despite DeMarco Murray’s earlier success running it. He was averaging 7 yards per carry. Running eats clock. Just what the Cowboys needed most.

After three consecutive incompletions, all Aikman could say about the choice of plays was “big mistake.”

In the wake of one seemingly ill-timed Romo pass, the four words America heard were: “Are you kidding me?”

Considering the source, it was a harsher four-word indictment than anything tweeted or written in its wake.

And there was Buck coming off the top rope when Packers defensive back Sam Shields intercepted a Romo pass on second-and-6 at the Cowboys’ 35 yard-line with a little less than three minutes remaining. Murray had just rushed for 4 yards.

“Why the Dallas Cowboys refused to run the ball in this situation is inexplicable,” Buck said.

Aikman, of course, agreed.
Oh shoot, this was from 2013. See what "Coaching Continuity" gets us? Almost the EXACT scenario we saw this past Sunday. Nothing's fucking changed.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Joe Buck calls Dallas Cowboys loss one of worst in franchise history; Troy Aikman lashes out at clock management | SportsDay
What? Are they new here? This is typical of the last 7 years, no better, no worse. Hell even most Zone fan boys are finally coming around.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What? Are they new here? This is typical of the last 7 years, no better, no worse. Hell even most Zone fan boys are finally coming around.

That article is from four years ago. Resurrected for current relevance and timeliness.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
cowboys vocab.

"coaching continuity"
as told by cowboys: effective means of building a strong coaching foundation to support a dynasty.
real meaning: keep the yes man here as long as possible. allocate as many resources to media relations/public image/social networking, and pay all department employees forced overtime to put a positive spin on any resulting side-effects from "coaching continuity."

"fight. scratch. claw. (various slogans)"
as told by cowboys: words for motivation.
real meaning: words for merchandise.

"R.K.G."
as told by cowboys: short for right kind of guy. the trifecta for a player. model citizen, good teammate and does their job.
real meaning: randy gregory, rolondo mcclain, greg hardy, zeke elliot, damontre moore, orlando scandrick, david irving, demarcus lawrence. rkg does not matter at all if you are productive on the field.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Recall that the Cowboys led 26-3 at the half
And the worst part... had to look it up to confirm...

We lost a 26-3 lead at home not to Aaron Rodgers, but Matt Flynn. That's right, one of the biggest spare QBs ever.

And we missed the playoffs by one game.

But the zone clones will tell you Garrett was maximizing our talent in those years and 8-8 was as good as we possibly could have done...

Reaction score

We lost a 26-3 lead at home not to Aaron Rodgers, but Matt Flynn. That's right, one of the biggest spare QBs ever.

But the zone clones will tell you Garrett was maximizing our talent in those years and 8-8 was as good as we possibly could have done...

It's one of two games (the other being Detroit) where the Cowboys reached 99% win probability during the game, but still found a way to lose. Had they come out and knelt down 3 straight times on offense, then punted for the entire second half they likely win just by how much clock would have been killed. To this day it is still the biggest fail I have ever seen in football.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score

That game right there is the one that pisses me off the most. They absolutely COULD NOT STOP MURRAY. So, what do we do the 2nd half? We completely abandoned the run. I believe that was Garrett's last season as HC and OC.

Reaction score
That game right there is the one that pisses me off the most. They absolutely COULD NOT STOP MURRAY. So, what do we do the 2nd half? We completely abandoned the run. I believe that was Garrett's last season as HC and OC.

Had they kept pounding the ball all 2nd half, Murray most likely goes for well over 200 yards, and we blow the Packers out 52-10. I've never seen a team derail it's own blowout like the Cowboys did that day... well... except that time against Detroit, and perhaps the Rams this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

That was the game I thought Murray was going to literally beat up Garrett.

Hindsight being 20-20, I wish he would have.

Top Bottom