bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Aaron%20rodgers(3)

By Mac Engel
October 08, 2017 7:04 PM
ARLINGTON

For the second time this year, Aaron Rodgers kicked the Dallas Cowboys in their proverbial man parts.

Back in January, it was Rodgers completing a third-and-20 play to set up the game-winning field goal at AT&T Stadium to win the NFC divisional playoff game.

And on Sunday, there was Rodgers, headed in the same direction, facing a third-and-8 play with 35 seconds remaining. Cowboys defensive linemen Benson Mayowa and David Irving nearly got him, but of course they didn’t.

He had been sacked four times, but it was the fifth the Cowboys needed.

Rodgers completed an 18-yard scramble down to the Cowboys’ 12 to set up a game-winning touchdown throw in a 35-31 Packers win.

The Cowboys are 2-3 entering the bye, and the proud owners of a two-game losing streak, both at home.

This was a game the Cowboys led 21-6 in the second quarter. They blew that, but, thanks to the play of Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott, they took the lead back with 1:13 remaining in the game.

They had to know 1:13 was too much time for Aaron Rodgers.

That and three other rants after the Cowboys’ latest loss.

1. It’s not just Big 12 refs that are terrible. The NFL refs were hard at work on Sunday to discredit themselves, and they got busy right away with this.

In the first quarter, Dak Prescott’s third down pass into the end zone for Dez Bryant was dropped, but the refs decided they still feel badly about “The Catch?” from the 2014 NFC Divisional playoff game and gave the Cowboys a gift; the refs called Packers linebacker Blake Martinez for unnecessary roughness. It’s amazing because Martinez did not hit Dez.

The Cowboys scored a touchdown on the next play.

In third quarter, Rodgers was trying to get rid of the ball near his own 4-yard line and was hit by Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, which was a clean sack. It was the follow hit by Benson Mayowa that drew a 15-yard penalty. It was a borderline call that had more makeup than a case of lipstick (you can use that).

And then in the fourth quarter, the refs blew the official spot with about 2 minutes remaining in the game. The latter allowed the Cowboys to gain a first down on a fourth-and-1 run by Elliott that originally was spotted as short.

Fortunately, both the Cowboys and the Packers challenged the spot to catch these “regrettable errors of human oversight.”

1.5 Sunday’s game was another reminder that the designers of AT&T Stadium weren’t thinking it through when they thought that putting the field East/West was a good idea.

The late afternoon sun ripped through the giant windows at the West end of the stadium to create a hazard for anyone facing in that direction.

It begs the question: What were they thinking when they spent more than $1 billion for this place to run the field facing a setting sun? Was it a gag?

2. Terrance Williams got paid, and has done nothing. The receiver from Baylor had a horrible day on Sunday. It started early in the first quarter on a 49-yard pass play to Brice Butler when Williams made zero attempt to block during a play that could have gone for even more yardage.

That was nothing compared to the damage T-Will would later do. With 10 minutes remaining in the game, Dak Prescott’s short pass went through T-Will’s fingers and ended up in in the hands of Damarious Randall, who returned it 21 yards for a touchdown.

It was the first pick-six thrown by Dak in his career, and marked his fourth interception this season. He threw four picks all of last season.

Back to T-Will. The Cowboys gave him a four-year, $17 million deal in the of-fseason, with $9.5 million guaranteed.

He’s been non-existent this season. Williams 19 receptions for 180 and no touchdowns this season. He does, however, have a nice assist on a Packers touchdown.

2. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers needs to be mentioned as one of the most accurate passers ever. This is the guy you want to enter a State Fair competition in the ring toss, or bat flip. He’s winning the giant teddy bear no one can win.

He had two throws against the Cowboys that are not of this earth. Probably a third and a fourth that I’m missing, too.

The first was with 4 minutes remaining in the first quarter when he hit receiver Devonte Adams with a pass that dropped in directly into his arms without requiring anything other than sticking out his arms and hands. If that.

The other was the second play of the third quarter when Rodgers, on the run to his right, lofted a perfect pass to tight end Martellus Bennett for a 35-yard gain.

Cowboys safety Byron Jones was in coverage, and Rodgers simply put the ball in a place where only his guy could catch it.

Of course, there is no need to mention Rodgers’ 18-yard run in the final minute on a third-and-eight that set up the game-winning touchdown pass.

2.5 The return of Anthony Hitchens from injury and David Irving from suspension make a difference. Irving had two sacks, and Hitchens nearly had an interception inside the 5-yard line. Neither of these guys are Pro Bowlers, but they are solid players for a defense that needs them.

3. The best young Cowboys defensive player is not Taco Charlton or Jaylon Smith but rookie Jourdan Lewis. Charlton looks absolutely lost so far.

The rookie defensive back from Michigan, who has had some hamstring issues since he was drafted, had six tackles and three pass break ups on Sunday.

Of course, just as I say that he is the DB who got popped for the game-winning touchdown pass with 11 seconds remaining.

There will be better days, because most guys get burned by Aaron Rodgers.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Eh, I've criticized Dak lately but to compare him to a future absolute lock HOFer? Ya lost me there. Oh and Jerry who prints money cant afford some kind of covering to block sunsets? Only a matter of time til that bites the team in ass.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Oh and Jerry who prints money cant afford some kind of covering to block sunsets? Only a matter of time til that bites the team in ass.
It happened twice today with Witten drops due to losing the ball in the sun, and happened a couple of years ago with one of our CBs dropping a sure INT due to losing the ball in the sun. It's always been a problem and it's always bit.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It happened twice today with Witten drops due to losing the ball in the sun, and happened a couple of years ago with one of our CBs dropping a sure INT due to losing the ball in the sun. It's always been a problem and it's always bit.

and wasn't all this caused by jeri over ruling the architects who design these things to orient the stadium in another direction to avoid this issue but jeri said fuck off and as usual "did it his way"

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
and wasn't all this caused by jeri over ruling the architects who design these things to orient the stadium in another direction to avoid this issue but jeri said fuck off and as usual "did it his way"
That I don't know, but I DO know we once had curtains there, that we could fucking close.

And I guess we're a dome team now. Today was perfect weather in Dallas, yet we have the doors and the roof closed. At least if we had those doors open the glass wouldn't magnify the sun and spread the rays all over the field like that. Irritates the fuck out of me when we have the roof closed.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That I don't know, but I DO know we once had curtains there, that we could fucking close.

And I guess we're a dome team now. Today was perfect weather in Dallas, yet we have the doors and the roof closed. At least if we had those doors open the glass wouldn't magnify the sun and spread the rays all over the field like that. Irritates the fuck out of me when we have the roof closed.

Yeah I don't understand it at all.

Well fuck, it's Jerry so I guess I do.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's funny perusing the zone. 98% of the fans are anti-garrett now

Yeah, but it took them 8 plus years and the complete waste of a franchise QB to see it. Most of those fools have never seen a good/great coach on our sidelines.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, but it took them 8 plus years and the complete waste of a franchise QB to see it. Most of those fools have never seen a good/great coach on our sidelines.

Well to be fair it took a number of people on this site to finally get on the anti-Garrett train.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
There was some fallacious idea that Garrett would learn and get IT. And from the same people that continually talked about his intelligence and background in football. But anybody watching could see that if he didnt have IT by the time he became HC he would never get IT.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Idgit, Fuzzy, and xwalker holding strong in the 2% Garrett4ever club, though

Because their perceived "board cred" is more important. It's why some posters have left that board after pimping Garrett so hard. Hey, I pimped him too and was hoping he'd be a quality coach and an upgrade from Wade. But when a guy makes mistakes (ie: clock management) that a high school coach wouldn't make, you need to admit you were wrong and move on.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Because their perceived "board cred" is more important. It's why some posters have left that board after pimping Garrett so hard. Hey, I pimped him too and was hoping he'd be a quality coach and an upgrade from Wade. But when a guy makes mistakes (ie: clock management) that a high school coach wouldn't make, you need to admit you were wrong and move on.
He should have been gone after the third 8-8 season. It was obvious he is out of his league coaching at the NFL level.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The stadium issue is stupid. They have curtains, Jerry just cares more about the atmosphere than what happens on the field. Also, it's always the same side of the stadium. Could make that end translucent and then you solve the problem and keep your nice natural lighting.

I'm pretty sure Jerry does it because he thinks it'll give the team an advantage someday. Them he becomes partly responsible and can feel like a coach.

"You see the call I made? Won us the game".

Reaction score
He should have been gone after the third 8-8 season. It was obvious he is out of his league coaching at the NFL level.

I've always maintained that Garrett should have been fired same day as Wade for a complete flush of the coaching staff. I knew that we would be in for many years of bad when Jerry not only didn't fire him, but promoted him to head coach. 8 years later I have not changed my mind at all, but I do admit that I underestimated how long Jerry would keep this up. I figured originally that Garrett would be gone after year 5. Wishful thinking on my part there.

Reaction score
It's funny perusing the zone. 98% of the fans are anti-garrett now

After yet another game costing coaching blunder, making no adjustments at the half like ever, and seeing the same script play out yet again, a person would qualify as insane according to Einstein - doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results - if they insisted on continuing support of Garrett.

Top Bottom