bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1507508979-NS_08cowboyspackersLD19.jpg

Bob Sturm, SportsDayDFW.com contributor and co-host of BaD Radio weekdays from noon to 3 p.m. on SportsRadio 1310-AM and 96.7-FM The Ticket, gives his reactions to the Cowboys' loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday:

Did Aaron Rodgers win this game or Cowboys lose it?

I think it is pretty clear that whoever had the ball last was likely to win. That makes this very certainly the work of Aaron Rodgers being unstoppable for Rod Marinelli and this defense in this type of situation. It happened in the 2014 playoff game and the 2016 playoff game. That is why the Dez catch controversy in 2014 always seemed difficult to completely buy into because Rodgers would have still had four minutes and the ball in his hands. The Cowboys were very close to stopping him many times that day, many times in the playoffs last January, and if David Irving can just trip him on that 3rd and long scramble, they are likely at least in overtime -- assuming Mason Crosby can make a kick -- but, they couldn't get him one more time. He is certainly building a resume of these situations against this team and it almost feels like the end of NBA games. The first 3 1/2 quarters happen and they matter, but it might come down to whether you can stop Rodgers one time in this situation to win the game. He was left too much time.

I said it in 2014 and I will say it again. The best way to stop him in these situations is to not let him have the ball back. You have to take the clock all the way down. That has to be a main priority.

How much did the play call on second down (incomplete pass to Dez on drive previous to winning TD) cost the Cowboys?

It certainly didn't help. As soon as they got the review with 2:00 to play, it became incredibly clear that they had to make Green Bay burn its last timeout and leave almost no time after they score a touchdown. Now, that is difficult to add a degree of difficulty to scoring, but to risk stopping the clock in that spot was dangerous. I was going to keep pounding Zeke until he was in the end zone and frankly, I expected that there would be a spot where Green Bay would try to let them score because there is a certain point where they knew their destiny rested with Rodgers over their defense, too.

Jaylon Smith is a great story but how has his struggles hurt the Cowboys?

He just can't do what he needs to do right now. The Cowboys are starting to see that and obviously when Sean Lee and Anthony Hitchens are both available, he will see his role greatly reduced. He just can't do it. I did not expect Aaron Jones, of all people, would be able to attack him like Todd Gurley did, but you saw plenty of run situations where they went right at Smith and he had a hard time passing the exam. He is a great story and possibly a great player in the future. But, there is no time like the present in the NFL and he is being attacked like a rookie.

Who's fault was it on the interception return for the TD?

Terrance Williams cannot let that ball eat him up like that. He has the reputation of a body catcher and that play did not help his reputation. Prescott was not perfect today and that throw wasn't perfect, either, but he is trying to throw the ball to the side away from Clay Matthews and that is a routine play for a NFL WR to adjust accordingly.

How should Cowboys fans feel entering the bye?

Disturbed. We knew the schedule was rough, but that Rams loss is everything right now as 3-2 at the bye feels fine. But, to lose back-to-back home games late in the game both time is going to really hurt. You should feel good about David Irving's return and how impressive he looks in game one means plenty. But, losing as many games as you did in 2016 by Oct. 8 is a tough pill to swallow for two weeks. Not the bye week you were hoping for.

Any other thoughts on the game?

Well, nobody wants to hear this, but that was a really strong offensive performance again. Elliott looks back in form and the offense is still capable of very impressive things. The defense is still a work in progress, but with Lee and this pass rush with DeMarcus Lawrence and Irving, I am still comfortable that they are a playoff team and likely to win the East.

Reaction score
Nice try, Bob. I know you have to stretch this out for a whole season, but you are reaching make-work like levels of try hard. Just stare at your desk for a few hours when you are supposed to be writing about the Cowboys. It'll look like you are working.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Nice try, Bob. I know you have to stretch this out for a whole season, but you are reaching make-work like levels of try hard.

Yep as the losses pile up and the interest level drops, not nearly as many clicks. Selling hope isnt your style Sturm

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Are we a playoff team? History isn't on this franchise's side.

They have only had 2 back to back playoff appearances in the past 21 years.

Have not had back to back double digit win seasons in the past 21 years. Could be wrong but the only other team I can think of with a worse track record than that woeful stat is Cleveland.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
At SF, at skins, Home for KC, at falcons, Home for eagles. I could easily see 1-4 over the next 5 games and I cant be the only one.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We bring it on ourselves. We always gamble with that pick instead of drafting solid players that form the long term core of our team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We bring it on ourselves. We always gamble with that pick instead of drafting solid players that form the long term core of our team.

He wasn't a gamble by the way, he was considered a really solid player.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That would put us at 3-7 with six games left.

Debacle.

Debacle isn't even the right word any more. It's fucking disgusting and disturbing. It's year after year and if this season goes in the toilet, the only positive thing that we could get out of it is a coaching change (and draft position). But I'm not sure Jerry would do that which will just compound such a horrific season. At most, Marinelli will be fired/retired and we'll get some lip service which will give the homers hope. And Jerry keeps getting richer.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
hey dbair, why do you post so early in the morning? Are you on the East coast, have an early job or something?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
1-4 in the next 5 games. Maybe 2-3 if one of the other teams has a horrible day. Its time to make a coaching change. Do it now. It would get the players attention. A new coach would have the rest of the season to evaluate this team first hand. It wouldnt be any worse than what we already have to look forward too, but could be better and there is still time to turn things around.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
hey dbair, why do you post so early in the morning? Are you on the East coast, have an early job or something?

Yeah. Little town called Fagville, New York. He's a fudgepacker by trade. Needs to get up pretty early in the AM

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I can't believe you'd make such a terrible and completely false accusation about dbair.

He does not live in New York.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1-4 in the next 5 games. Maybe 2-3 if one of the other teams has a horrible day. Its time to make a coaching change. Do it now. It would get the players attention. A new coach would have the rest of the season to evaluate this team first hand. It wouldnt be any worse than what we already have to look forward too, but could be better and there is still time to turn things around.

what?? you mean you'd like them to shake things up at the country club?

Top Bottom