dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I am not sure Dak can actually be adequately evaluated as long as Clappy the Clown is our leader. Dak will never be as good as Romo when Romo was on but he has potential and also brings a lot with his ability to run. I am not ready to write Dak off but if a franchise QB is available when we draft we should pick him. I am not sure Dak will ever be a "franchise" QB but he could be a darn good one but will never reach his potential with Ginger.

Truth

Reaction score
Can't trust this staff to make that call. Cooper Rush destroyed Hellen Moore in preseason, and yet here we are. Perhaps Cooper is better than Dak as well, but we will only find out if key injuries happen to force change.

Remember also that Jerry spent a 2nd on a guy who would have been available as a UDFA, and of course he sucked big time. Jerry has no idea what a franchise QB looks like. The last two quality starters were gifts from the football gods, and both only found the starting job due to circumstance rather than grooming and development.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dak isn't the problem.

The problems are:
1) the atmosphere Jerry has created. No accountability.
2) the coaching disadvantage we go into every game with.
3) the lack of overall talent on defense.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dak may not be good enough long term. I think the fear is that he might be an, I dunno, Andy Dalton type player who is better than average and looks really good at times but isn't quite good enough to get a team to the Superbowl.

But it's way too early to say that for this front office. Guarantee you they love Dak's cheap price tag the next couple of years and don't want to lose that advantage.

Side note... cmd, what do you think about Falk at WSU? Forget the Air Raid inflated numbers -- I like his quick arm.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Side note... cmd, what do you think about Falk at WSU? Forget the Air Raid inflated numbers -- I like his quick arm.

Holy smokes TE!!! This kid came up in conversation with a few buddies the other day and how good he'd look in a Cowboy uniform. This year is going to be a deep class for QB's and we may be able to grab him towards the middle of the 1st even though I doubt Jerry would pull the trigger.

Also, the kid is a walk on?? How insane is that?

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Holy smokes TE!!! This kid came on in conversation with a few buddies the other day and how good he'd look in a Cowboy uniform. This year is going to be a deep class for QB's and we may be able to grab him towards the middle of the 1st even though I doubt Jerry would pull the trigger.

That is insane... I didn't even know that.

But unless there's something I'm missing, I bet he goes early. He's big enough, right? He looks like it anyway. And again, I love not his arm strength so much (though it seems more than fine) as how quick his release is.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is insane... I didn't even know that.

But unless there's something I'm missing, I bet he goes early. He's big enough, right? He looks like it anyway. And again, I love not his arm strength so much (though it seems more than fine) as how quick his release is.

I was looking at some of his highlights a few days ago and he's a big kid for sure. Supposed to be very accurate but the guy scans the field pretty well. He seemed to have a good, not great arm. There are a lot of quality QB's coming out this draft and from what's out there, it looks like Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Rudolph will probably go high. Unless Falk has an unreal combine, he could drop to a team will draft him for the future. Just my uninformed opinion, of course. But if a team needs a QB, this may be a good draft to grab one.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
what do you think about Falk at WSU? Forget the Air Raid inflated numbers -- I like his quick arm.

In between being depressed at seeing the best coach Texas Tech has had or likely ever will have standing on the WSU sidelines, I was impressed at how he stood in the pocket. Looks a little skinny but sure played tough

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Yeah, I've liked him for 3 years. I know people will associate him with other Leach/Texas Tech "products of the system" but he's legit. I hated that Friday night game at Pullman the second the schedule was released. USC has the same issue at coach that the Cowboys do.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah that reminds me, not much talk about that play where Dak avoided the sack but his body was basically twisted like a pretzel in the process. Romo would still be laying there and out for months.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
pointless. we won't be bad enough to be in play for any of those guys.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

He played at Oaks Christian HS (southern California) his junior year which is a football factory. For whatever reason, he moved to Logan, Utah for his senior year. Utah State is in Logan so they have to be kicking themselves for not offering this kid a full ride.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
pointless. we won't be bad enough to be in play for any of those guys.

Obviously it's early so the draft "value" of players will change, but I see us in the 10-25 range (wide range I know). Here's player 10-25 according to CBS Sports(who uses NFL Draft Scout's ranking system):

10 Tarvarus McFadden CB 1 Florida State Jr 6-2 198
11 James Washington WR 2 Oklahoma State Sr 6-0 205
12 Josh Rosen QB 3 UCLA Jr 6-4 220
13 Minkah Fitzpatrick FS 1 Alabama Jr 6-1 201
14 Tyquan Lewis DE 2 Ohio State Sr 6-4 265
15 Mike McGlinchey OT 1 Notre Dame Sr 6-8 312
16 Connor Williams OT 2 Texas Jr 6-6 320
17 Bradley Chubb DE 3 NC State Sr 6-4 275
18 Deon Cain WR 3 Clemson Jr 6-1 210
19 Luke Falk QB 4 Washington State Sr 6-4 225
20 Derrick Nnadi DT 2 Florida State Sr 6-1 312
21 Christian Kirk WR 4 Texas A&M Jr 5-11 200
22 Martinas Rankin OT 3 Mississippi State Sr 6-5 305
23 Lamar Jackson QB 5 Louisville Jr 6-3 200
24 Malik Jefferson OLB 2 Texas Jr 6-3 240
25 Jaire Alexander CB 2 Louisville Jr 5-11 192

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dak may not be good enough long term. I think the fear is that he might be an, I dunno, Andy Dalton type player who is better than average and looks really good at times but isn't quite good enough to get a team to the Superbowl.

But it's way too early to say that for this front office. Guarantee you they love Dak's cheap price tag the next couple of years

But dammit- if they want a Romo the sons of bitches should have just kept Romo instead of ruining Dak. Let Dak BE Dak!

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You know a guy I wonder if they secretly have their eye on is Baker Mayfield. See all kinds of Romo comps only with an OU pedigree.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Obviously it's early so the draft "value" of players will change, but I see us in the 10-25 range (wide range I know). Here's player 10-25 according to CBS Sports(who uses NFL Draft Scout's ranking system):

10 Tarvarus McFadden CB 1 Florida State Jr 6-2 198
11 James Washington WR 2 Oklahoma State Sr 6-0 205
12 Josh Rosen QB 3 UCLA Jr 6-4 220
13 Minkah Fitzpatrick FS 1 Alabama Jr 6-1 201
14 Tyquan Lewis DE 2 Ohio State Sr 6-4 265
15 Mike McGlinchey OT 1 Notre Dame Sr 6-8 312
16 Connor Williams OT 2 Texas Jr 6-6 320
17 Bradley Chubb DE 3 NC State Sr 6-4 275
18 Deon Cain WR 3 Clemson Jr 6-1 210
19 Luke Falk QB 4 Washington State Sr 6-4 225
20 Derrick Nnadi DT 2 Florida State Sr 6-1 312
21 Christian Kirk WR 4 Texas A&M Jr 5-11 200
22 Martinas Rankin OT 3 Mississippi State Sr 6-5 305
23 Lamar Jackson QB 5 Louisville Jr 6-3 200
24 Malik Jefferson OLB 2 Texas Jr 6-3 240
25 Jaire Alexander CB 2 Louisville Jr 5-11 192

CMD if Rosen is there when they draft they would have to strongly consider. I do think Darnold will be long gone though.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Let me preface this with, I am a Dak fan. I dont put todays loss on him, though he was putrid in Denver. I do think he is good enough to win with if everything goes right (it never will as long as Jerry is breathing). My opinion is that he is a top 15 types QB, better than a bus driver but wont ever be elite. I am of the opinion that if a consensus franchise QB falls to us in the spring they should grab him round one. Please dont bother telling me about all the other holes, I actually figured that out all ready. Franchise QBs are probably the hardest position in sports to fill and I am beginning to think we aren't necessarily as set as I thought going forward.

Will a "franchise" QB --- people throw that term around so much and have no clue, make Garrett a better coach?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

But it's way too early to say that for this front office. Guarantee you they love Dak's cheap price tag the next couple of years and don't want to lose that advantage.

I'm curious. What do people base this on?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Will a "franchise" QB --- people throw that term around so much and have no clue, make Garrett a better coach?

Nope, it would take something along the lines of (I am just using this as an example as outlandish as it sounds to illustrate a point) of hiring Belichick as DC and giving him full control of personnel to make Garrett a better coach. Therefore he wont ever become better than he is now, but we gotta talk about other potential issues.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Nope, it would take something along the lines of (I am just using this as an example as outlandish as it sounds to illustrate a point) of hiring Belichick as DC and giving him full control of personnel to make Garrett a better coach. Therefore he wont ever become better than he is now, but we gotta talk about other potential issues.

I do not care who you have as a DC or what type of personnel. If you have an offense that goes 3 and out constant,ly, that will take its toll on the defensed.

Top Bottom