Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trump urges fans to boycott NFL in ongoing criticism of flag-kneeling players

Trump urges fans to boycott NFL in ongoing criticism of flag-kneeling players | Fox News

President Trump on Sunday extended his attack on NFL players who kneel during the national anthem, and suggested fans boycott games as he continued his call for team owners to “fire or suspend” the offenders.

“If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast,” Trump tweeted. "Fire or suspend!”

Several minutes later, he tweeted: "..NFL attendance and ratings are WAY DOWN. Boring games yes, but many stay away because they love our country. League should back U.S."

Trump started his criticism in earnest Friday night when he asked a crowd at a political rally in Alabama: "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say 'get that son of a b ---- off the field right now? He's fired.'"

He continued the criticism Saturday when he rescinded Golden State Warrior Stephen Curry’s invitation to the White House this spring to honor his team’s 2017 NBA championship.

Trump’s weekend remarks were met with sharp criticism from professional athletes and team owners -- including NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who called the remarks “divisive,” and NBA star LeBron James, who called Trump a “bum.”

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This thing is all over the news this morning on both sides (Fox and CNN). Obviously, CNN has taken the anti-Trump side and how's he's making race relations worse.

Like it or not, Trump has brought this issue on the forefront and the is forcing the NFL to address it. Unfortunately, the NFL is doubling down and Goodell, as well as some NFL owners, have come out in defense of the players. Miami owner Stephen Ross made the following statement and even NBA players have gotten in on the debate (Stephen Curry) by refusing to go to the White House.

Ross Statement.jpg

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
I think the owners although they had no choice made a mistake saying anything

NFL which is already seeing ratings drop the past few years are now in jeopardy of pushing the rest of the fans away that may side with Trump or the fans that can't stand the protests.

NFL is in the most precarious position I can ever remember

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I absolutely love Trump!!!!!

And he is 100% correct!!!!

If fans boycott games and quit watching more football the owners will be forced to do the right thing.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Squealers aren't even going to take the field for the anthem. They're staying in the locker room.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I absolutely love Trump!!!!!

And he is 100% correct!!!!
The problem I have is now we have a entirely new precedent you might not like so much in the future - the POTUS using his towering pulpit to publicly hurt a company, calling for boycotts. Imagine a future President doing this, "Hey I don't like the way Ford does business, Americans should boycott it until it does what I tell it to do."

He's hurting people, people might lose jobs. It's not the right thing for a sitting President to be doing.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
The problem I have is now we have a entirely new precedent you might not like so much in the future - the POTUS using his towering pulpit to publicly hurt a company, calling for boycotts. Imagine a future President doing this, "Hey I don't like the way Ford does business, Americans should boycott it until it does what I tell it to do."

He's hurting people, people might lose jobs. It's not the right thing for a sitting President to be doing.

I hear you but Trump has been saying a whole lot of stuff that needs to be said and he got elected because he is willing to say what others should have been saying all along. He's no worse than that POS Onumnuts who caused more division in 8 years than any other president in history. He also set race relations back decades by using his bully pulpit.

If our own president cant speak out about people disrespecting the flag and country then who can?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Mueller is close to ending the tweet problem. Manafort gonna squeal like a pig at some point

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If our own president cant speak out about people disrespecting the flag and country then who can?
I didn't say he couldn't speak out, not at all. But there's better ways to do that. How about instead if he says:

"I agree with the millions of sports fans who are boycotting stadiums and changing their TV channels when players refuse to honor our flag and everything it stands for, the very things that allow them to have their lucrative job, playing a game. The people get to vote with their dollars and their support, and leagues who don't take heed can and should get themselves in trouble."

Instead of CALLING for boycotts. CALLING for financial hurt, of a company. Forget politics for a second, and think about this. The POTUS should NOT be using his position to call for economic boycotts of American companies.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I didn't say he couldn't speak out, not at all. But there's better ways to do that. How about instead if he says:

"I agree with the millions of sports fans who are boycotting stadiums and changing their TV channels when players refuse to honor our flag and everything it stands for, the very things that allow them to have their lucrative job, playing a game. The people get to vote with their dollars and their support, and leagues who don't take heed can and should get themselves in trouble."

Instead of CALLING for boycotts. CALLING for financial hurt, of a company. Forget politics for a second, and think about this. The POTUS should NOT be using his position to call for economic boycotts of American companies.

Its who Trump is. You would be asking him to do something he cant do. And the NFL is more than a company, its a big part of our culture. And it has the money it does because of millions of patriotic fans who have supported the league. So Im still happy he said it and have no problem with it even thought I understand what you're saying.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
James Woods‏Verified account @RealJamesWoods 2h2 hours ago
More
#Liberals applaud spoiled #NFL millionaires sitting on their asses during national anthem, while Berkeley cancels Free Speech Week... #irony

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I missed the start of the 10am games

What team did what?

Did the Steelers not even take the field during the anthem?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
City Outlaw ���� Retweeted
J Walters‏ @jwalters3kids_j 1h1 hour ago
More
Replying to @steelers
Shame on the Steelers. I've been a Steelers fan all my life. No longer. I hope it hits the NFL in the pocketbook. Good for Jerry Jones
1 reply 24 retweets 51 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 24 Like 51 Direct message

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
City Outlaw ���� Retweeted
Mike Cernovich ����‏Verified account @Cernovich 24m24 minutes ago
More
Mike Cernovich ���� Retweeted Paul Joseph Watson
Trump didn't start politicizing sports, ESPN did.

By the way, where are the free speech heros when Curt Schilling was fired for a meme?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
#MenendezTrial‏ @NewtTrump 26m26 minutes ago
More
Alejandro Villanueva, a US Army Captain, Army Ranger, and Bronze Star Recepient, refused to stay in the locker room for the national anthem.

271 replies 2,043 retweets 3,228 likes
Reply 271 Retweet 2.0K Like 3.2K Direct message

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Its who Trump is. You would be asking him to do something he cant do.
Exactly. Think things through before acting. Impossible for him. And the other thing is, this issue was pretty much OVER before he resurrected it for no discernible reason. He acts as if he is weighing in on a topical timely subject, and he's not. He MADE it topical and timely, after it was pretty much dead.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I certainly hope the Cowboys as an organization don’t pull any shit like the Steelers did today.

Hell I don’t even want a single fucking cowboy player protest

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Exactly. Think things through before acting. Impossible for him. And the other thing is, this issue was pretty much OVER before he resurrected it for no discernible reason. He acts as if he is weighing in on a topical timely subject, and he's not. He MADE it topical and timely, after it was pretty much dead.

He may be more calculated than we think

Top Bottom