NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Cant really argue against anything you said. But I dont have any confidence in this coaching staff so it's hard to know if he gets any coaching that would help him.

Reaction score
I wasn't against keeping Dez. I was against signing him to a idiotic $70 million long term deal without first letting him shop the market. It was my belief he wouldn't get much interest. And when he didn't we would be in a much better position to negotiate a short-term, performance incentive-laden, deal that made sense. And if some idiot team offered him the big mega deal? Fine. Draft a hot young WR to replace the fuck.

I still see zero sense in signing most veterans to long term deals when rookies come so cheap and are hungry to make a splash. The exception to this of course is QBs, LBs and OL-DL guys under special circumstances. WRs and RBs are a fucking dime a dozen via the draft. To me it makes no sense to sign these to lucrative long-term deals.

I agree completely. It isn't just the Cowboys that have been burned paying "contract year" athletes. Incentive deals will increasingly become the norm in the coming years as well as we are likely to see an overall decline in player contract dollars with interest in the sport waning paired with the first generation of athletes to be noticeably inferior to their predecessors.

Reaction score
Cant really argue against anything you said. But I dont have any confidence in this coaching staff so it's hard to know if he gets any coaching that would help him.

A guy in the NFL getting paid elite money shouldn't need coaches to get him to improve his atrocious route running fundamentals. It takes no athletic talent at all to hustle.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was against signing him to a idiotic $70 million long term deal without first letting him shop the market.

Tyrone Crawford says hello. Such a bad panic move from a GM with decades of on the job training.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
A guy in the NFL getting paid elite money shouldn't need coaches to get him to improve his atrocious route running fundamentals. It takes no athletic talent at all to hustle.

We certainly havent had any coaches help him get it together. They've held his hand and coddled him in every other area of life so why not football as well?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I agree completely. It isn't just the Cowboys that have been burned paying "contract year" athletes. Incentive deals will increasingly become the norm in the coming years as well as we are likely to see an overall decline in player contract dollars with interest in the sport waning paired with the first generation of athletes to be noticeably inferior to their predecessors.
Look how well it turned out, letting Murray walk. Letting some idiot team pay him the big millions. It's exactly what I am talking about. Rent a younger mule much cheaper.
Tyrone Crawford says hello. Such a bad panic move from a GM with decades of on the job training.
Murray says hello back.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We certainly havent had any coaches help him get it together. They've held his hand and coddled him in every other area of life so why not football as well?
Martellus Bennett says hello. We did the same with him, but he at least DID learn from us and went on to be a pro bowl player, oh and earned a Super Bowl ring. He RAN away from Ginger and his idiot brother as fast as he could though.
And he wouldn't know either, since he doesn't listen to anyone.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
D Law will be the Cowboys next average player that they will grossly overpay because he had a decent contract year. Say hello to your next big contract mistake in 2018

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The only "natural talent" he appears to have is going for jump balls. Not the most advantageous gamble of all. Other than that what can he actually fucking do?

That's the question. What else can he do? Maybe the reason they don't run him on drag routes is because he doesn't know how, which would be a total fucking joke considering he been in the league for 8 years. And pretty much all of that time in the same offense.

I do think his talent has started to slip some. Maybe he's getting to bulky, similar to David Boston (on a less extreme scale). With his size, hands and lack of speed he would be ideal for being a possession WR. Instead he and the coaching staff insist on trying to make him into Antonio Brown.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
June 1st cut would result in a $4 mill cap hit in 2018 & 2019

pKkt3Qk.jpg

That's actually very manageable.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
But..... One would reasonably THINK, that if we don't progress with this team Jerry's GOT to start cleaning house at some point. Probably starting with the coaches, yeah but your main WR is aging and really hasn't upped his game at all.

Especially when you consider they still need to pay Martin and Dak will only have 2 more years on his rookie deal so they may have to pay him big money too. And are they set on letting Beasley walk? Freeing up that money they would be paying Dez could be spread around.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He isn't getting the ball because Garrett/Linehan decided that throwing deep to TWill (who can barely a catch a football and is worse than some arena/indoor ball receivers) is better than throwing deep to Dez.

To be fair, even with all his flaws TWill seems to get open more often than Dez does. Now he might now always catch the ball but even on his drops it always looks like he's got a step or two on his man.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
To be fair, even with all his flaws TWill seems to get open more often than Dez does. Now he might now always catch the ball but even on his drops it always looks like he's got a step or two on his man.
And much cheaper than 70 million dollar man Dez.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And Demarcus Lawrence standing in line.

DLaw scares me. He knows Jerry will pay for the illusion of what a player is. Just like Dez and Crawford where folks think they're the cornerstones of the organization. And once he gets his money, I'm concerned that he might just take some plays off and/or not earn his salary. It's the environment that has been created here. In New England, players know they have to perform or they're shown the door. Even the ones with higher paychecks. That keeps guys on edge and that's the philosophy and environment that their coach has promoted and implemented. Not so much here.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It’s the Right Kind of Guy philosophy that has served Garrett so well in his tenure as head coach

It has clearly worked

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
DLaw scares me. He knows Jerry will pay for the illusion of what a player is. Just like Dez and Crawford where folks think they're the cornerstones of the organization. And once he gets his money, I'm concerned that he might just take some plays off and/or not earn his salary. It's the environment that has been created here. In New England, players know they have to perform or they're shown the door. Even the ones with higher paychecks. That keeps guys on edge and that's the philosophy and environment that their coach has promoted and implemented. Not so much here.
And you just HAVE to know, the player agents out there know all of this too.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I bet that may have something to do with it. But Dez had a report with the previous QB. This one, not so much.

Dude leave it alone. You sounding like a whining bitch now. Did Dak fuck your girl or something? Because now you've personalized your vendetta against Dak.

Top Bottom