Reaction score
I've never been under any illusions that Dez was, or ever would be an elite WR in the NFL. I've always seen him as a type that will show flashes of brilliance, make a great play once in a while, but never show the consistency it takes to be an elite WR. But damn! Since he got paid Dez has been a joke. The first sign that Dez was going to be an invisible man once again this year was him wasting energy jaw jacking with DBs in the Giants game rather than making them pay for their smack talk with 100+ yards and a couple of TD catches.

It has also started dragging down the entire offense as the team is trying to force balls to him. Since he isn't scaring any defenses they are able to stack and make things tough for the 20 pounds out of shape Zeke Elliott. Dak needs to forget about Dez, and go back to throwing to who gets open. If that means 20 catches for Witten and 0 for Dez, the do that. Dez can go nerd rage on the sidelines because he seems much better at that lately than getting open.

Also, both picks were Dez's fault.

End of rant.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bet that may have something to do with it. But Dez had a report with the previous QB. This one, not so much.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
beasley had a report with romo too and he had a career year with dak.

maybe dez has been hurt and is finally getting healthy?

maybe dez hasn't been running enough slant routes?

maybe dez hasn't been sent in motion enough?

OR MAYBE DEZ SUCKS NOW?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
OR MAYBE DEZ SUCKS NOW?
Now?

I keep going back to the debate over whether we should get married to him with a long-term deal. Everything I said would happen if we did, has happened. We should have at the very least, let him TEST THE MARKET before getting married to him. It was the second most stupid signing Jerry's ever done.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd like to know the cap implications of cutting him next off-season.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Funny thing is, all the talk of preseason was that Dak was going to Dez a ton more and they were building that great rapport... and that Dez was looking great not coming off injury for the first time in forever.

I've always thought Dez wouldn't age well. He's definitely a "natural talent" player, not one totally dedicated to his craft. Maybe he's just losing a little. Hard to believe but this is his eighth year in the league.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Funny thing is, all the talk of preseason was that Dak was going to Dez a ton more and they were building that great rapport... and that Dez was looking great not coming off injury for the first time in forever.

I've always thought Dez wouldn't age well. He's definitely a "natural talent" player, not one totally dedicated to his craft. Maybe he's just losing a little. Hard to believe but this is his eighth year in the league.

The only "natural talent" he appears to have is going for jump balls. Not the most advantageous gamble of all. Other than that what can he actually fucking do?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
DKTEoSeXcAAm04T.jpg:large

yes, but the numbers are going in the wrong direction

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I've never been under any illusions that Dez was, or ever would be an elite WR in the NFL.
Well then, I know your name isnt Jerry and you havent worked in the Cowboys front office. Sad thing is that Dez is exactly the type of player Jimmy Johnson never liked which is dumb, not durable, and in serious decline. OTOH he is all sizzle which Jerry loves and sells lots of jerseys. You can see how that paid off.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
June 1st cut would result in a $4 mill cap hit in 2018 & 2019

pKkt3Qk.jpg

My guess is that if he continues on the current path rest of the year, he will be approached with one of two options. Either rework your deal much lower or nice knowing ya.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who are we kidding

Dez is Jerry’s Guy

He isn’t going anywhere

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Who are we kidding

Dez is Jerry’s Guy

He isn’t going anywhere
But..... One would reasonably THINK, that if we don't progress with this team Jerry's GOT to start cleaning house at some point. Probably starting with the coaches, yeah but your main WR is aging and really hasn't upped his game at all.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I get Dez had a bad game against the Broncos but so did everyone else, so why is he getting all the hate? If anyone has aged bad it is Witten.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
OR MAYBE DEZ SUCKS NOW?

Dez does not suck now. He is still our best receiver. This was the first game he has been thrown the ball regularly in a while. It still irritates me that Beasley is the Cowboys leading receiver.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I get Dez had a bad game against the Broncos but so did everyone else, so why is he getting all the hate? If anyone has aged bad it is Witten.

Because he can't beat elite competition anymore and isn't worth the money. Jenkins shut him down twice last year and once again this year. Norman shut him down twice last year. You don't pay a guy $13M to only beat scrubs.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Because he can't beat elite competition anymore and isn't worth the money. Jenkins shut him down twice last year and once again this year. Norman shut him down twice last year. You don't pay a guy $13M to only beat scrubs.

Jenkins had to interfere with him on EVERY play in Week 1. If the refs would throw those flags that would not be an issue. It is also worth mentioning that Norman shuts down OBJ, so I think he is just a good CB.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It still irritates me that Beasley is the Cowboys leading receiver.

Why because he always gets open and then actually catches the ball? Your a fan of the fantasy of Dez, not the current reality of Dez. He'll have games where he will tantalize but he is clearly on the descent.

Top Bottom