bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1505695670-NS_17COWSBRONCOS11_58853334.JPG

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

DENVER -- Well, that was an absolute dumpster fire. The Cowboys got off to a horrible start, sat through an hour weather delay and then looked just as bad after they returned.

Here are my thoughts on the Cowboys' 42-17 blowout loss to the Broncos Sunday.

1. Ezekiel Elliott shut down

It's every team's game plan when facing Dallas, but very few have been able to accomplish it. The Broncos were so good up front, Elliott was never able to break a single run. No team in the last year has figured out the Cowboys running game like the Broncos did Sunday. Elliott was held to 51 yards in last year's season opener. Since then, he's never had less than 80 yards.

On Sunday: 8 yards on 9 carries. Yes, EIGHT yards.

Frankly, I didn't think it was possible to hold the league's best rusher under 10 yards for an entire game. The offensive line certainly didn't play like the all-world group we've become used to. Will be interesting to hear how the players describe what went wrong.

2. CB issues

Pretty tough to win an NFL game with only two cornerbacks. Injuries to Nolan Carroll and Chidobe Awuzie left the Cowboys with only two corners for almost the entire second half. Not that the group was playing particularly well before the injuries.

The good news is Orlando Scandrick is expected back next week and Jourdan Lewis recorded an interception in his first career game. Now, Lewis struggled, but it was his first game and he wasn't expected to play nearly as much as he did. Awuzie's health could be reason for concern. He was dealing with a hamstring issue.

3. What was defense doing?

The entire group struggled all day, making you wonder about that Giants offense that managed only three points last Sunday. Jaylon Smith didn't seem as active as he was in the season opener. Jeff Heath didn't make some of the plays he usually makes. The pass rush outside of DeMarcus Lawrence didn't make much of an impact.

Most of all, the overall tackling was uncharacteristically terrible. So how good is this defense? Probably not as bad as they looked Sunday, but definitely not as good as they appeared in the season opener.

4. Tank

DeMarcus Lawrence said he was expecting more sacks after recording two last week. They come in bunches, pass rushers often say. Lawrence was right. He added two more in the first half alone Sunday. He now has four through two games. Just a reminder: Benson Mayowa led the Cowboys in sacks last season with six ... in 13 games.

Yes, Lawrence was called for the penalty on the field-goal try that gave Denver an automatic first down late in the first half, but how badly would things have been for the Cowboys if not for the sack fumble he caused that led to Dallas' only first-half TD?

5. What just happened?

Not sure anyone expected that outcome. A close loss? Sure. Denver has been one of the best home teams for a long time. But the Cowboys have been very good on the road under Jason Garrett. Just an odd game all around.

It's hard to believe Denver is that much better, especially with Trevor Siemian playing quarterback. Best news for the Cowboys is that the Cardinals and Rams are the next two teams on the schedule and neither look anything like the Broncos.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
1. Ezekiel Elliott shut down

I blame partying and gold digging white women.
Pretty tough to win an NFL game with only two cornerbacks. Injuries to Nolan Carroll

Can we stop acting like we lost Mike Haynes out there.

3. What was defense doing?

Today was a better indicator of the talent level on defense and Sean Lee looking every bit of 31.

Dont get sucked into paying him whatever you do.

What just happened?

Out coached, out hit, out executed,

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Best news for the Cowboys is that the Cardinals and Rams are the next two teams on the schedule and neither look anything like the Broncos.

But don't underestimate our chances of making them look that way.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Arizona is another house of horrors for the Cowboys. No guarantee of a bounce-back win.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The Cowboys had a whole bunch of missed opportunities today. I think they were just off personally.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. Arizona is a ship just waiting to be sunk.

I was referring to the stadium. Weird shit happens or we just get drubbed. We've lost to mediocre Zona teams before in that place.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was referring to the stadium. Weird shit happens or we just get drubbed. We've lost to mediocre Zona teams before in that place.

Didn't even realize the game was in AZ.

Hope it doesn't come down to a last second kick...

th

“I was glad they iced the kicker there at the end, so I didn’t have to do it,” Whisenhunt said.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ok, 5 MORE thoughts here...

1. I think you have to appreciate the greatness of Emmitt Smith even more. He ran against 8 and 9 man fronts for most of his career and was still successful.

2. Yes, this is probably closer to what our defense really is right now. I will say when you are early in the game and you're down to your last 2 corners in a high altitude city in game 2, you're in trouble. Still no excuse for being run over by Anderson, though.

3. We probably jinxed Dak on that last throw with all the talk of Romo and his late bad throw.

4. Dak has looked less accurate this year so far than last. However, 2 games does not a season make, and last year is a good indication of what he can be. Maybe a quick mechanics correction and we're back in business. I'm not ready to call him Farve or a bus driver yet.

5. Every year we have one game where everything just goes to pot. (Maybe in CO, that could be the problem.) Maybe this is that game. Regardless, the blueprint for success against the Cowboys has been drawn. We'll see how the coaching staff reacts.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Arizona is another house of horrors for the Cowboys. No guarantee of a bounce-back win.

After yesterday, it's clear there are no certain wins and they cant take any team for granted.

Reaction score
I see the Cowboys propaganda machine is in higher gear than ever...

Garrett: Thoughts Coming Out Of Denver Win | Dallas Cowboys

In the last 7 years, I've managed to avoid listening to this idiot for more than 5 seconds, so I'll stick to that streak. I'm sure it was filled with platitudes and generic coaching statements though.

His system has never worked against top-tier teams. All this other stuff is just a giant waste of time. Team is playing to either lose in the divisional round, or not make the playoffs at all.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Haha, I was referring to the title being the "win" at Denver.

Under no circumstances do I recommend listening to Garrett. I do it a couple times a year when I feel like pissing myself off. :/

Top Bottom