bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones is not ruling out the possibility of Thursday night's preseason game being cancelled.

"All things are on the table," Jones said during a Monday radio interview on 105.3 The Fan's G-Bag Nation show.

Hurricane Harvey forced the Houston Texans to fly to Dallas on Saturday night. The Texans, who are scheduled to host the Cowboys in the preseason finale, practiced at the Cowboys' team headquarters Monday morning.

In regards to the game, backup quarterbacks Kellen Moore and Cooper Rush are both expected to play. Jones declined to name either one as the official No. 2 behind Dak Prescott entering the season.

"It's a healthy competition," Jones said. "We're fortunate we have them both."

Here are a few other highlights from Jones' interview.

-- Of the rookies dealing with hamstring issues, wide receiver Ryan Switzer is most likely to play Thursday, Jones said. Safety Xavier Woods and cornerback Chidobe Awuzie would be next. Cornerback Jourdan Lewis is a "long shot."

-- Offensive lineman Chaz Green rolled his ankle in Saturday's preseason win over the Oakland Raiders. It's not a high ankle sprain, but the Cowboys are not sure when he'll return to practice.

-- Jones said the Cowboys were "smiling big" when they got the results of Anthony Hitchens' MRI. Thought they had lost him for the year. Hitchens suffered a tibial plateau fracture in his right knee late in the first half Saturday. He will likely be out 8-10 weeks.

-- Asked about free agent LB Daryl Washington, Jones responded: "We're very pleased with the players we have right now."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Texans-Cowboys preseason game moved to AT&T Stadium
7:44 PM ET

Sarah Barshop
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Due to the flooding from Tropical Storm Harvey, Thursday's preseason game between the Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys, originally scheduled to be played at NRG Stadium, has been moved to AT&T Stadium.

The Texans have been in the Dallas area since early Sunday morning. The team played a preseason game in New Orleans on Saturday and could not return to Houston because of the inclement weather. The Texans practiced at the Cowboys' facility on Monday and are scheduled to do so on Tuesday as well.

Earlier Monday, Texans defensive end J.J. Watt said that if a game was going to be played this week, it should involve fundraising to help Houston residents affected by the flooding. On Saturday, Watt started an online fundraiser to raise money for flood relief efforts. As of Monday evening, it had raised nearly $750,000.

The Texans and owner Bob McNair also donated $1 million to the United Way of Greater Houston Flood Relief Fund. The NFL Foundation said it would match the $1 million donation.

In a release, the NFL said it will work with the Texans to "continue to closely monitor the situation in Houston and adjust the team's plans as necessary."

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
damn. that last game is always a drag and borderline unwatchable anyway.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
They better sit Carroll. We can ill-afford to lose his transformative talent.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
NFLN has the Eagles @ Jets game on at 7pm EST. At 10pm EST they have Seahawks @ Raiders

NFLN is not re-airing the Texans/Cowboys game until 8pm EST Friday night, that freaking sux.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wouldn't have minded at all if the game had been cancelled. It's the 5th preseason game, we really gain nothing from playing it other than more injury chances.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't have minded at all if the game had been cancelled. It's the 5th preseason game, we really gain nothing from playing it other than more injury chances.

Normally I'd probably agree with you, but if it's true that guys like Awuzie, Switzer and Woods are going to play, along with some other young guys like Tapper, Marquez White, Neal and the other rookie DT's then it's probably a good thing this year. None of the veterans are going to play I'm sure, but these young guys need reps and some of them have missed a lot of training camp and all or most of preseason.

They need to figure out who can play early in the season and really help us due to all the suspensions and injuries. if they cant play, then the team will need to spend a lot of time Friday/Saturday/Sunday scouring other rosters for waiver/free agents or maybe even a trade or two.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Normally I'd probably agree with you, but if it's true that guys like Awuzie, Switzer and Woods are going to play, along with some other young guys like Tapper, Marquez White, Neal and the other rookie DT's then it's probably a good thing this year. None of the veterans are going to play I'm sure, but these young guys need reps and some of them have missed a lot of training camp and all or most of preseason.

They need to figure out who can play early in the season and really help us due to all the suspensions and injuries. if they cant play, then the team will need to spend a lot of time Friday/Saturday/Sunday scouring other rosters for waiver/free agents or maybe even a trade or two.
Yeah I mean, it can be looked at as a bonus too. Two sides to every pancake, as the Tuna used to say.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
NFLN reportedly going to carry the Cowboys-Texans game live now.

By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
Published: Aug. 29, 2017 at 04:33 p.m.
Updated: Aug. 29, 2017 at 06:55 p.m.

Thursday's preseason game between the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans, which was relocated to AT&T Stadium in the wake of devastating flooding in Houston caused by Hurricane Harvey, will be shown live on NFL Network at 8 p.m. ET.

The teams announced that all game proceeds from both the Texans and Cowboys will be donated to the United Way of Greater Houston relief fund that supports the efforts of the American Red Cross and Salvation Army for Hurricane Harvey relief and recovery along the Texas Gulf Coast. All tickets to the game are $25.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Game is cancelled.
Dallas Cowboys: Cowboys-Texans game canceled to give Houston players chance to go home after Harvey | SportsDay

The decision came days after the game was moved from Hurricane Harvey-stricken Houston to Arlington's AT&T Stadium. Earlier Wednesday morning, reports said 40,000 tickets had been sold for the then-relocated game.

Anyone who purchased tickets to the game will have the option of getting a refund or donating their ticket money woard Harvey relief efforts.
I'm okay with it. Like I said before.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Would have liked our young guys to get the reps, but I totally understand why they are canceling.

Looking forward to the roster moves this weekend though. I hope we add a couple of legit players.

Top Bottom