dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
QB (2)- Prescott and Cooper Rush. Unless Rush plays really bad next week or the last preseason game (in which he's likely to get most, if not all of the snaps) there's almost no way he clears waivers to slide onto practice squad. We're set for a decade it appears with Prescott but Rush seems to have quality developmental traits and with another strong preseason next yr, could becomes the legit #2 or a very valuable trade piece. If they don't think Romo would return should Prescott go down, then maybe they add a new veteran backup after final cutdowns and keep 3 QB's. But for my roster, I assume Romo is Plan B

RB (4)- Zeke, McFadden, Morris and R Smith. As I mentioned this morning I might lean towards not keeping McFadden and with the way he ran last night and last week, some RB desperate team might trade for him. But he is almost 30, has a decent cap charge and does have injury concerns himself. He looks like he is in great shape but I would think Morris and R Smith could hold the fort down until Zeke returns (if suspension holds up). If his suspension is reduced significantly or eliminated, I'd definitely be motivated to move McFadden

FB (1) - Keith Smith. Becoming a really nice role player. Blocks well and shows good hands and movement skill for a FB. Also good on special teams.

WR (6)- Dez, T Williams, Beasley, Butler, Switzer and N Brown. Brown is the only one that's in question here. It wont be a catastrophy if he is released to save the roster spot, but he does have really good upside and I don't believe we'd be able to get him onto the practice squad.

TE (4)- Witten, Swaim, Hanna, Gathers. Really hope they create a package of plays for Gathers. Hanna is an excellent blocker and Swaim is a good blocker and decent receiver. Gathers would probably have to beat out Swaim to be active on game days, but there's no way they don't keep him on 53.

OL (8)- This is where it starts getting a little tough. Locks are Tyron, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Chaz Green and Cooper based on what I saw last night will win starting LG job. He can also play C, which might make Looney expendable. Green is obviously the swing T on game days, but he can also play G. I'm not sure the 7th or 8th OL is currently on the roster, but because of the position flex Cooper and Green have, they could potentially keep only 8.

DE (7)- Lawrence, Taco, Mayowa, T Crawford, Irving, Moore & Tapper. Irving and Moore gone 4 and 2 games, so Tapper will probably be safe regardless of how he plays. Crawford isn't healthy either and isn't a lock to be ready opening day. Lenny Moore or someone off another roster could squeeze onto the team because of suspensions and health. If Lawrence doesn't show better & T Crawford struggles to get healthy I could see a vet DE move here too.

DT (4)- M Collins, Paea, Thornton and Neal (or Ivie). They could go with just 3 here if they decided they were going to play Crawford primarily at DT when he returns. Otherwise 4th DT probably coms down to Neal or Ivie. I don't think the other 7th rd pick has done enough to warrant any consideration (Carrell) other than practice squad. Thornton better get healthy soon otherwise his spot could be in real jeopardy. I doubt they want to pay him that much again this year to be just a rotational backup. Paea has looked good.

LB (6)- Lee, Hitchens, D Wilson, J Smith, Wilbur and one rookie. Wilson is likely headed to a suspension which makes this a tough call. I don't think Wilbur is any good but the team likes him and does do a decent job on special teams. I think one of the rookie free agents will make the team (Jones or Gilchrist) and a 7th spot (for Wilson) could be Durant if he gets healthy, otherwise maybe a vet from another team after final cutdowns. Will be interesting to see if Jaylon Smith does enough to warrant being active, at least early in the season. Next two preseason games are probably big for him.

CB (6)- Scandrick, Carroll, Brown, Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis & Duke Thomas. With Carroll likely headed to suspension, maybe Marquez White makes it to make it 7. I also wont be surprised if due to all the injuries they bring in a vet CB before week one.

S (4)- B Jones, Heath, Woods, K Frazier. Pretty easy call here.

ST (3)- Bailey, Jones, LaDouceur. New K/P guy Irwin-Hill has showed nicely though, bet he gets a chance elsewhere. If he doesn't I'd think about stashing him on PS.

I think this is 55, but with Irving, Moore and Zeke(likely) suspended, plus likely suspensions for Carroll and D Wilson I only have 50. If they don't think Romo would come out of retirement to save the season in case of Prescott injury, then getting a real veteran #2 (keeping 3 QB's) becomes a necessity.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Is this what you would do if you were the GM, or is this your prediction of what the team will do?

Upside of cutting Helen Moore is, he definitely clears waivers. LOL

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this what you would do if you were the GM, or is this your prediction of what the team will do?

Upside of cutting Helen Moore is, he definitely clears waivers. LOL

What I think they'll do.

I'd probably move on from McFadden if it were me, and I definitely would not keep Moore.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Alfred Morris is so underrated. I can't understand why this team seems to not like him much. I guess they claim he's not that great a receiver and not that great at pass blocking, but the guy can really run in this scheme. If Zeke is really gone, I'd give him most of the carries.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think Alfred Morris is so underrated. I can't understand why this team seems to not like him much. I guess they claim he's not that great a receiver and not that great at pass blocking, but the guy can really run in this scheme. If Zeke is really gone, I'd give him most of the carries.
Yep, just use him to bludgeon the opponent, especially early and then late.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yep, I agree 100%

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score

I agree with this.

Reaction score
I agree about Gilchrist. He has range and pop.

I think Dallas is hiding WR Brian Brown. Dez stated on Twitter early in OTAs to keep an eye on Brian Brown because of his hands. Even on the Colts on-sides kick, they put Brian Brown in the center fielder positions. He doesn't drop passes they are usually poorly thrown. He just isn't fast but if this team isn't emphasizing speed anyway, may as well have a WR who with a 360 degree catching radius. Unlike TWilly who had no targets and no catches against the Colts. IMG_5959.PNG

Reaction score
I can't imagine they roll with Rush as the backup QB with their starter beginning his second season. They'll want someone in the QB meetings who can actually be of help.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I can't imagine they roll with Rush as the backup QB with their starter beginning his second season. They'll want someone in the QB meetings who can actually be of help.
Yep because everyone knows the meetings are far more important than game play after your starter goes down.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

If they think Romo is Plan B, then it kinda makes sense.

Otherwise maybe they sign another free agent QB after cutdowns and keep Rush as 3rd guy for this year.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I said this before and I'll say it again. I think Rod Smith is going to get a lot of touches if Zeke sits out 6 games. If he gets the touches he's going to be really productive in this offense. He's big and aggressive and is a better receiver, blocker, and he actually plays ST. He's also the cheapest RB on the roster.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Romo is Plan B, the Cowboys have no backup QB plan just like in 2015.

They pulled Jon Kitna in off the streets and that worked ok.

Romo probably cant take a hit and that's the big issue there. But as far as actually be able to come in and run the offense efficiently, he'd be better than Kellen Moore or some other flub.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Can't possibly see Romo giving up the #1 CBS job to play again. No way.

Probably not, but it was talked about when he walked away. That he would only consider coming back to play for Dallas if something happened to Prescott.

Reaction score
Probably not, but it was talked about when he walked away. That he would only consider coming back to play for Dallas if something happened to Prescott.

I think that is absolutely the fallback if Dallas is in contention and Dak gets injured.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
How much do you think Rod Smith would actually play?

Probably not much at first. If Zeke does sit out 6 games though he'll get plenty opportunities and I really think he's going to do well. I would expect his touches to increase as the 6 games goes along.

Top Bottom