dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Like I said briefly after the game last night, if not for a few isolated items the Cowboys people have to feel pretty good about what they saw. I do think a few decisions became far more obvious after last night though.

1) I think the #1 takeaway is how good Prescott is. I think there was actually a strong contingent of people (all over, not just here) who at least privately (some were out there though) expected him to regress or potentially show last year was a fluke. But there were also those viewing camp everyday who said he was FAR better than last yr (when he was great). And they were right, he did look better. Other than the one ball he got knocked down (another was tipped I believe, but still got to Beasley for completion) he was superb. He does seem to have more zip on the ball and his accuracy is off the charts good. And Dak is the anti-Romo when it comes to being in great shape. Dude looks stronger yet also leaner than I thought he was last yr too. Works his ass off on and off the field. We just got incredibly lucky here.

2) We ran the ball pretty damn good, even without Elliott. That said, while McFadden started and was productive if it were me running things, I would not keep him. It's not just about the bad fumble inside the 10 which cost us points- it's his age, his injury history and his cap number which make me believe letting him go (or trading him for a late rd pick) is the right thing to do. Alfred Morris could gain 80-100 yards a game I think in Elliott's place and after what we saw from Rod Smith last night, I would be highly interested in seeing him get some time with the starters to see how he fares. He runs with tremendous power and he can run, catch, block AND play special teams. He also costs a fraction of what McFadden does. It would save a roster spot for another position if they'd just go with Zeke, Morris and R Smith. I'd do that even if Elliott's suspension is upheld. It's a little bit of a gamble, but Morris has proven he can carry the load and Smith is very intriguing.

3) Cole Beasley is just fucking nasty in the slot. He makes people look foolish trying to contain him. Dez looks like he is in tremendous shape and gave yet more evidence last night what teams will have to deal with if he isn't double covered. And when he gets double covered, it leaves easy pickins for other people. Brice Butler looks like he could be a big part of the offense even if it's just a PT role. Prescott is big, throws with great accuracy and makes good decisions, oh and if needed he can make something out of nothing easily with his legs. We have a multi faceted WR/TE corp who can all do different things. We have great pass protection. Barring injuries, it's not hard seeing this team set the franchise record for most points in a season. (479 in 1983 is still the record). They looked like a machine last night those first two series and arguably the best player on the team didn't play one snap.

4) Thought Jonathan Cooper had by far the best of his 3 game so far. Had some good plays at LG and then swung over to C and seemed to do well there too. Lael Collins was good enough at RT although I bet at least early in the season, they are going to have to help him some on passing downs with the big time DE's he's gonna face. Chaz Green got flagged twice (1 for holding 1 for chop block) but his blocking at LT and LG was pretty damn good again. He clearly has ability, just has to stay healthy. I haven't seen any media comments on it yet, but Tyron Smith only played one series even though the rest of the starters played that second series. Hopefully he didn't re-aggravate the back stiffness. Martin and Frederick just blasted holes all over the Colts front 7.

5) Loved the no huddle look on offense. Could be a huge weapon for us this year. Like I said above, machine.

6) On defense, it was a solid effort but nothing spectacular. Taco had a near sack/fumble on one rush (vs Colts starting LT Costanzo, a former 1st rd pick himself) and also blew up one running play to his side. Maliek Collins looked pretty explosive from DT and seems like he could be primed to build on his really nice rookie season. Its a damn shame Irving is suspended 4 games, to me he looks like tour most impressive DL and has constantly been in the backfield. Demontrae Moore had a sack and 1 or 2 other pressures I saw. It's looking like one of those other great strokes of luck that we didn't trade Scandrick back on draft weekend as he looks like he has most of his speed back and he is an excellent tackler. Probably still wont make many plays on the ball though.

7) Of course the Jaylon Smith debut was what everyone wanted to see, and he seemed ok. He's on the road to recovery but I think he still has a ways to go before he can be the kind of player we all hope he'll turn out as. In a straight line, he looked pretty explosive but it did seem to me he had a little trouble changing directions. Also needs to knock some of the rust off as he seemed to overrun a couple plays. I thought I heard them say he isn't going to play on any kick/punt coverages this yr so it will be interesting to see if he ends up on the 46 on game days or as inactive most weeks (barring injuries to others)

8) I would think that barring some amazing miracle night against the Raiders, Kellen Moore sealed his fate last night with another awful performance. He might be the smartest guy in the franchise when it comes to how an offense works, but he is the least talented player on the roster and cant execute the offense because of size and arm strength deficiencies. I think if I were them I'd give Cooper Rush at least a series next week with some of the good players out there to see how he handles it. Maybe they do have a wink-wink deal with Romo if something happens to Prescott. If so, cut Moore and just go with Prescott and Rush on the active roster, and save another roster spot. I'd also keep my eye on the Cards roster and see how Drew Stanton's situation plays out. Looks like Gabbert will win the backup job and if so, maybe they'll release Stanton (although some other backup desperate team might actually trade for him)

9) They have to be ultra disappointed with the injury situation of all the rookies, especially the DB's. I'm not sure Nolan Carroll is more than a JAG and will almost assuredly be getting a 2-4 game suspension for his DWI anyway. Anthony Brown is still hurt. Scandrick played well and by all accounts has had a good camp, but he is really a better 3rd CB and he appeared to get injured last night too (afterward they said it was concussion protocol). You almost are to the point where you wonder if they would think about a move at CB for a proven starter.

10) The two big concerns I still have are lack of real pass rush and lack of plays on the ball vs the pass. I was excited to see Demarcus Lawrence last night, but then he didn't do much. Tyrone Crawford is hurt again and was never a big time pass rusher anyway. I think Taco has a bright future but he isn't going to be a 10-12 sack guy as a rookie. Collins looks like a quality starter and has pass rush skill from DT, but other than him and Irving (also gone 4 games) what we are lacking that really standout player up front that worries OL and QB's. I mentioned proven starting CB above, but if they could find that Charles Haley 1992 move the impact to the team could have similar results because most of the other pieces seem to be in place.

11) While Byron Jones and Heath seem ok vs the run, neither has done much vs the pass. Both have excellent speed and range, but neither seems to have figured out how to jump routes. One thing I have noticed about Jones this year is that his tackling has seemed more physical, but I want to see him make those rangy safety ballhawking type plays that our defense has sorely lacked for years.

12) Some interesting decisions coming for the final roster. I don't think they'd get Noah Brown or Cooper Rush to the practice squad, they probably will want to keep 4 TE's and a couple of these rookie f/a LB's are interesting (Joseph Jones and Keenan Gilchrist). I think the Mark Nzeocha era is coming to a close, so there could be a spot for Jones or Gilchrist there. Duke Thomas has definitely taken advantage of all the injuries at CB and has played himself into the 53 discussion.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
That TD pass to Dez was underthrown. No one throws a back shoulder fade (as the blinkered Dallas announcers tried to convince us) 30 yards downfield, so great play by #88.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
1) I think the #1 takeaway is how good Prescott is. I think there was actually a strong contingent of people (all over, not just here) who at least privately (some were out there though) expected him to regress or potentially show last year was a fluke. But there were also those viewing camp everyday who said he was FAR better than last yr (when he was great). And they were right, he did look better. Other than the one ball he got knocked down (another was tipped I believe, but still got to Beasley for completion) he was superb. He does seem to have more zip on the ball and his accuracy is off the charts good. And Dak is the anti-Romo when it comes to being in great shape. Dude looks stronger yet also leaner than I thought he was last yr too. Works his ass off on and off the field. We just got incredibly lucky here.

I still cant get over how lucky/fortunate we are to have him, he single handedly gives me hope for the next decade and allowed the Cowboys to avoid the inevitable post Romo abyss.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That TD pass to Dez was underthrown. No one throws a back shoulder fade (as the blinkered Dallas announcers tried to convince us) 30 yards downfield, so great play by #88.

It's that old "he is open even if he isn't open" thing.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Moore admittedly sucks, but does that mean Rush -- whose faced nothing but backups -- is ready to assume the #2 role? No fucking way. That said, echoing David, I'd rather keep a "what if" like Brown or Rush than a "never will" like Moore. If Dak goes down, we go into NFL draft mode around here immediately.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Moore admittedly sucks, but does that mean Rush -- whose faced nothing but backups -- is ready to assume the #2 role? No fucking way.
Rush has two things Moore does not. An arm and a BRAIN. Moore isn't qualified to play QB in the NFL, at all.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Like I said briefly after the game last night, if not for a few isolated items the Cowboys people have to feel pretty good about what they saw. I do think a few decisions became far more obvious after last night though.

1) I think the #1 takeaway is how good Prescott is. I think there was actually a strong contingent of people (all over, not just here) who at least privately (some were out there though) expected him to regress or potentially show last year was a fluke.

I've been meaning to make a video about how that narrative is stupid, but I'll get to it at some point.

Reaction score
Moore admittedly sucks, but does that mean Rush -- whose faced nothing but backups -- is ready to assume the #2 role? No fucking way. That said, echoing David, I'd rather keep a "what if" like Brown or Rush than a "never will" like Moore. If Dak goes down, we go into NFL draft mode around here immediately.

Why wouldn't he be ready? Dak was a 3rd string rookie last year that took us to a great season and playoff berth. There's no reason Cooper Rush can't be a capable backup this year and beyond. Yeah, he's played against scrubs, but you can only play the hand you are dealt. So far he has been nearly flawless in that regard. He looks better than any other third stringer I've seen in camp, and that includes both Dak last year, and Romo's rookie year.

Another reason you have to keep the guy is that he isn't going to clear waivers. There's no chance of that now. This league has been starved for QBs as long as I can remember. Anyone that shows flashes will get a chance for a bottom feeder that is desperate.

Even if he does not fit long term plans, you still keep Rush because he can be parlayed into a draft pick. That is an automatic win since he is a UDFA. He becomes an extra draft pick down the road, maybe next year.

One other reason to keep him is that we know Kelen Moore has peaked. What you see is what you get. Rush has a much greater upside. He is just getting started.

Anyways... that's all I got. Good talk.

Reaction score
It's that old "he is open even if he isn't open" thing.

This is the poison of the offense. Yes, it's true that because Dez is so talented and the window for the reception is additionally open because the DB can only partially attack the ball in the air because of coverage position. But that should not be the play itself - it's not an X and O strategy where the WR is open against any DB BECAUSE of the play design. It's sloppy and a little irresponsible to view a covered WR as an open pass unless there is separation, stark height difference etc. It's really a failed play of the route tree against the coverage if the coverage is generally stride for stride. The 2010-2012 Romo years were frought with 2:00 offense repetitive routes with no presnap misdirection or even play action. The WRs running around as Romo scrambled were not plays although when Romo succeeded the scheme was reinforced because of its "flexibility".

Linehan orchestrated great plays that were even tricking the cameramen in the first 11 games. He coached. He was handcuffed by the passing scheme and philosophy but where he was allowed creativity that did not insult Jason's passing playbook was in formations and the running game. Jason's set in stone playbook are the passing routes based on packages and coverage/situations. Daks perception of Beasley being always open was exactly that: truly open and safe to pass. The Dez passes are 50/50s and as Steve Young stated are "lollipop" throws and the games outcomes should not be based on such low probability.

It just takes coaching and intentional game adjustment strategy that is not based on an unchanging philosophy of a ill-equipped head coach.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We just got incredibly lucky here.

To basically have your franchise QB on a 4th round rookie deal, you cant get any luckier.

We ran the ball pretty damn good

The only way this team cant rush the ball is if the opposing D had zero respect for the passing game and played 8 in the box.

Cole Beasley is just fucking nasty in the slot.

Hitting on guys like Beasley and Dak somewhat makes up for a decade of fuckups in round 2 of the draft.

Thought Jonathan Cooper had by far the best of his 3 game so far.

Not sold, dont trust him.

Reaction score

I keep asking it and I can't seem to find an answer. What is wrong with Rushs right foot? His ankle turns out like a duck. It looks like he had some polio or cp when younger.

3) Cole Beasley is just fucking nasty in the slot. He makes people look foolish trying to contain him. Dez looks like he is in tremendous shape and gave yet more evidence last night what teams will have to deal with if he isn't double covered. And when he gets double covered, it leaves easy pickins for other people. Brice Butler looks like he could be a big part of the offense even if it's just a PT role. Prescott is big, throws with great accuracy and makes good decisions, oh and if needed he can make something out of nothing easily with his legs. We have a multi faceted WR/TE corp who can all do different things. We have great pass protection. Barring injuries, it's not hard seeing this team set the franchise record for most points in a season. (479 in 1983 is still the record). They looked like a machine last night those first two series and arguably the best player on the team didn't play one snap.

This is it! Beasley is impossible to cover. He always has been. The fact that last year with Bease as the primary pass option propelled the offense should have been enough to define the offense all the way through the Super Bowl. But Garrett's insistence on his pass philosophy trumping what is obviously working (like Murray in the first GB playoff game). He has no evidence that his 2006-now pass philosophy works but he will reduce any ancillary offensive successes with Murray (2016) or Beasley (in last 5 games of 2017 plus the first quarters of the Green Bay game)or even Elliott (runs for 10+ and he gets taken off the field) in favor of a 4+ receiver package designed to stretch the field.

Coryell designed the pass offense around the attention that the LOS is drawing and theorized that gains in a power running game (or even a short pass game like Martz did with Faulk) would draw defense away from deep coverage WHEN in play action or feigning the short pass. Taking the RB off the field or sending Beasley on fly patterns disables the scheme.

If they go back to Bease as primary pass option (he might have the fastest overall quickness times in the league - his pre-draft numbers were not even his best Tony Hill verified that in an interview) and then let the running game maul to move the chains, the distance plays will open up. They need to define the offense with the success of the talent they have and not keep trying to cram the round talent into the square holes of a pass scheme that has never truly had success by itself (with Romo scrambling or Callahan or Linehan remediating the flaws).

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Underthrown sure, but he put it to where Dez could only make the play for it.

JPP1974

Ready for Summertime
Reaction score
Dez is one of the elite W.R's in the NFL. As he can catch anything and everything.

Top Bottom