spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It was not. It is a 8-8 team that finished with a aberrant winning record, as it has been wont to do in some odd years since Garrett took over.

We won't be sneaking up on anyone this year. Might as well brace yourself for the 7-9 season that is looming.

It actually was a barely 4-12 team that should have been either 3-13 or 2-14 that was rejuvenated by Dak and Zeke into a SB contender, which is amazing when you consider the terrible coaching, mediocre defense, terrible #2 receiver in Williams, and bad management the Cowboys have had. I have a hard time believing the Cowboys will go from #1 seed in the NFC to losing record in a season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It actually was a barely 4-12 team that should have been either 3-13 or 2-14 that was rejuvenated by Dak and Zeke into a SB contender, which is amazing when you consider the terrible coaching, mediocre defense, terrible #2 receiver in Williams, and bad management the Cowboys have had. I have a hard time believing the Cowboys will go from #1 seed in the NFC to losing record in a season.
If you think it's barely a 4-12 team then you should be able to easily believe it can go to a losing record in a season. It can, and will.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If you think it's barely a 4-12 team then you should be able to easily believe it can go to a losing record in a season. It can, and will.

My point is that if Dak and Zeke can add extra 9 wins to a 4-12 team they can a few wins to an 8-8 team therefore equaling playoffs therefore equaling potential playoff wins therefore equaling non-mediocrity.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My point is that if Dak and Zeke can add extra 9 wins to a 4-12 team they can a few wins to an 8-8 team therefore equaling playoffs therefore equaling potential playoff wins therefore equaling non-mediocrity.
It's not a 4-12 team. It's in the upper tier of the mediocre ones in this league, which is 20 or so teams. The BAD teams, of which there are four or five annually, are the 4-12 outfits.

It's a 8-8 team and has been for 20 years. It has aberrant years of more wins than that, and the occasional year of a lot less than that. Last year was one of the aberrant years.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
"Choke" depends on who you ask. Still does not at all change or even address, what I said.

My point is that Romo didn't get things done even prior to Garrett showing up, but I see Dak getting things done in the future.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My point is that Romo didn't get things done even prior to Garrett showing up, but I see Dak getting things done in the future.
It's fair for you to see that. What you're not seeing is, the Romo lovers saw that until the bitter end. You're falling in love with a player. It's putting rose colored glasses on you, you're minimizing the loser culture, the shoddy defense, everything that keeps this a mediocre team. Dak is not God, he is NOT going to overcome all of that.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It's not a 4-12 team. It's in the upper tier of the mediocre ones in this league, which is 20 or so teams. The BAD teams, of which there are four or five annually, are the 4-12 outfits.

It's a 8-8 team and has been for 20 years. It has aberrant years of more wins than that, and the occasional year of a lot less than that. Last year was one of the aberrant years.

I don't believe last year was a fluke. I will say it again Dak and Zeke's greatness will keep this franchise from being mediocre to terrible. Feel free to save this post and expose me if I'm wrong but I doubt it.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It's fair for you to see that. What you're not seeing is, the Romo lovers saw that until the bitter end. You're falling in love with a player. It's putting rose colored glasses on you, you're minimizing the loser culture, the shoddy defense, everything that keeps this a mediocre team. Dak is not God, he is NOT going to overcome all of that.

I don't Dak can overcome all that. But I do believe Dak with the combination of Zeke have and will overcome those things.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dak and Zeke's greatness
I don't Dak can overcome all that. But I do believe Dak with the combination of Zeke have and will overcome those things.
Oh jeez. You're smitten, you're homering out. I have learned there's no cure for this. You're just gonna believe, religiously. Your objectivity is gone, replaced by faith-based rah-rah cheerleaderism.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Oh jeez. You're smitten, you're homering out. I have learned there's no cure for this. You're just gonna believe, religiously. Your objectivity is gone.

Both of them were RotY and MVP candidates in their first season. Those two took a team that was a dumpster fire into the #1 seed in the NFC. If that is not greatness, I don't know what is.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Both of them were RotY and MVP candidates in their first season. Those two took a team that was a dumpster fire into the #1 seed in the NFC. If that is not greatness, I don't know what is.
It was ONE season. ONE season where they caught everyone by surprise. They can't be called "great" yet. Not rationally, anyway.
I don't know what is. (Greatness)
Apparently not.

Most people were calling Kaepernick "great." Most people were calling Cam Newton "great." Neither are.

Your anointing oil is showing.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It was ONE season. ONE season where they caught everyone by surprise. They can't be called "great" yet. Not rationally, anyway.Apparently not.

Most people were calling Kaepernick "great." Most people were calling Cam Newton "great." Neither are.

Your anointing oil is showing.

I think Cam Newton is one of the better QBs in the NFL, so I do consider him great.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I liked Noah Brown and to a lesser degree Frazier. I think Brown could turn into a useful 3/4 WR if he develops.

FWIW Garrett said after film review that both Frazier and X Woods had good games. One tweet said Garrett was almost gushing over X Woods

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There's coaches, then there's players and until you are physically on the field against a Zeke or a Dak, you really do NOT know what they can do. That's called "sneaking up." And it is worth 5 more wins for this 8-8 team.

That's also over now - we're not going to be sneaking up on anyone. Might as well brace yourself for the 7-9 season that is looming.

I guess we'll see. If the key guys stay healthy and Elliott returns in the same form he was last yr, I'd be surprised if they don't manage 10-6. Those first 6 games could make or break the season. Going 3-3 is likely the best case scenario if Elliott is indeed suspended. Worse than that might be a hole they cant recover from. 3-3 or better than that would be a miracle but would definitely set them up for playoff run.

The defense is definitely questionable but offensively they should be good. The special teams are pretty good.

Garrett doesn't help us in any way though, so that's an X factor to consider as his track record is one of inconsistency since he's been here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Which by the way, dbair... It really doesn't matter what players we have, we are still a 8-8 team because of the loser CULTURE in Dallas.

The biggest success of Dak and Zeke is they served as a hydrocodone treatment to the cancer that is our loser culture. Like all cancers, it will come roaring back after it develops resistance to the hydrocodone. They were only a temporary treatment for symptoms - the disease remains.

Get it yet? I am not saying we are 8-8 only because of our roster. I am saying we are a 8-8 team because of our cancerous, rotten, loser culture that Dak and Zeke penetrated for one season.

Garrett is a disease, no question about that. Jones is the classic enabler.

I don't disagree that the culture is not anything remotely close to the culture Jimmy had when he was here, and that's a shame. I think they have enough talented players to be a true contender but Garrett doesn't appear to be the type of coach that could ever get them over the top. Maybe he'll prove us wrong at some point but I have low expectations for him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I guess we'll see. If the key guys stay healthy and Elliott returns in the same form he was last yr, I'd be surprised if they don't manage 10-6. Those first 6 games could make or break the season. Going 3-3 is likely the best case scenario if Elliott is indeed suspended. Worse than that might be a hole they cant recover from. 3-3 or better than that would be a miracle but would definitely set them up for playoff run.

The defense is definitely questionable but offensively they should be good. The special teams are pretty good.

Garrett doesn't help us in any way though, so that's an X factor to consider as his track record is one of inconsistency since he's been here.
I won't dispute any of this. It's only three more wins than I'm expecting and lots can happen to other teams too.
Garrett is a disease, no question about that. Jones is the classic enabler.

I don't disagree that the culture is not anything remotely close to the culture Jimmy had when he was here, and that's a shame. I think they have enough talented players to be a true contender but Garrett doesn't appear to be the type of coach that could ever get them over the top. Maybe he'll prove us wrong at some point but I have low expectations for him.
Garrett is a chronic symptom of the Jerry cancer.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The numbers for the one, fluke season when we were sneaking up on people with a new QB and a new RB they had no book on. We won't be sneaking up on anyone this year. Might as well brace yourself for the 7-9 season that is looming.

Dooms... this is the DALLAS COWBOYS. One of the most visible team in all sports. There is no sneaking up. They were talking about Dak all last preseason with his takeover for Romo. The main storeyline was the potential QB controversy with Romo coming back. The Cowboys were the most watch team in the NFL all last season . There was no sneaking up.

Top Bottom