The 2017 Dallas Debacle as I see it. - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The 2017 Dallas Debacle as I see it.

1. Back To Top    #76
    vCash

The 2017 Dallas Debacle as I see it.

Apparently so.

But at least I was willing to get behind him when Humpty Dumpty fell down

2. Appreciation Doomsday appreciated this post
  3. Back To Top    #77
    Air Coryell expert Omegasupreme's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtExperiment View Post
    And most of all the Great Red Fraud.

Because if this team had Connor Cook like it wanted
    Actually even if Connor Cook, still would have been Helen Moore first - not because he should be an NFL player, but because he knows the system - Jason's system.
    Amazon book of the year: T.o.B. by Kemp and Minnix. Crazy thoughts about government and fear.

4. Back To Top    #78
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    I don't remember seeing any of that.
    I was one of them.

5. Back To Top    #79
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegasupreme View Post
    Actually even if Connor Cook, still would have been Helen Moore first - not because he should be an NFL player, but because he knows the system - Jason's system.
    Linehan's system.
    I do a series called Spiderfan On and also do commentaries:
    http://wenoo.net/user/spiderfan

Official NFL Analyst for Sports Coast to Coast:
    http://sportscoasttocoast.proboards.com/

6. Back To Top    #80
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderfan_MJ View Post
    Linehan's system.
    It's not. It's Linehan calling Jason's plays and according to Linehan he runs everything by Jason because it is his system. If you want to see Linehans system go back to the 2013 Lions. Stafford had the second fastest snap to release in the league (I think Brady was first). Now Linehan did use some of the high percentage play calling in the first 11 games (especially the first 7) but when the Empty backfield, distance routes based on a 2:00 offense look happened after the Minnesota game and a large part of the Green Bay playoff game, that's Garrett's system. Linehan wants to run the ball and use multiple running backs in running and passing game. The only time that the Dallas running game got emphasized during the Garrett years was when Callahan and Linehan started calling the plays. In fact Linehan said that he was responsible for designing the run game after Callahan left. The run scheme went through Sparano, Garrett (which was virtually nonexistent but somehow with a weak O-line Romo is throwing 648 times with sustained blocks) barely had any running success. Blamed other factors why he couldn't run. He said "pass deep to run underneath" and then changed to "run balanced but pass aggressive". He just wants his passing system to persist because he had been developing it since the Aikman years and changing to a successful scheme at this point would be indicting of his coaching judgment.

But while the run game has gone through several changes, it is secondary to the 3-digit Coryell system that Garrett insists on certain philosophies (which is a large part of why Linehan can only have limited success). Garrett's passing scheme is not to be touched other than some formations (which was not Garrett's forte so he just pretended "vanilla" was a strength). His philosophies are based on a few naive presumptions:
    1- the run game is separate from the effects on the passing game.
    2- 5 receivers is a mismatch even without speed - but the presumption is 5 recovers will force a defense into a prevent look which he believes (erroneously) draws pressure from the LoS and gives more time to the QB with secondary and tertiary routes. Despite Jim Haslett demonstrating in Washington that overloading the Oline beats the 5 wide.
    3- there are certain scenarios which trigger (what Garrett calls - Stolen from a Belichick interview during the Patriot Moss years - "aggressive passing downfield"):::running the ball for more than 7-10 yards, a turnover between the 40s, and on third and short.
    He thinks all of these are novel and trick thinking but generally speaking the Cowboys success in 2014 and 2016 were the work of two experienced OCs who managed the series, first downs and manipulated the defense. In 2010-2012 Jonathan Bales tracked the tendencies of Garrett to use play action primarily on third and long (which makes no sense) and his passing gains were based on mop yards in the last two minutes of each half.
    4- incompletions are meaningless. Don Coryell said it first but the lofty expectation is that the defense will make a stop and the offense will get another chance.
    5- downfield is better than first downs. The defense will soften because with downfield completions.
    6- height at WR is more important than speed or play design creating separation.
    7- throwing the ball when the team is ahead by more than a TD with under 5 minutes in the 4th quarter is aggressive and unexpected despite incompletions stopping the clock and the ball getting back to the other team is stupid.
    8- running the ball as a game plan is like an appetizer fulfilling a Thankagiving meal.
    9- running the same pass play sequence over and over actually tricks the defense because who does that? And after a while, something needs to work.
    10- If the plays fail it's not that the defense figured out the simple logic or the Garrett plays are repetitive, it's that the WRs need to play better and the O-line needs to hold blocks longer so the pass plays can eventually work.
    11-Garrett gets to approve of the Linehan plays.
    Last edited by Omegasupreme; Yesterday at 07:35 PM.

7. Props Doomsday gave props for this post
  8. Back To Top    #81
    Star Spangled Butt Kicker Doomsday's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderfan_MJ View Post
    Linehan's system.
    Helen Moore is Linehan's BOY - that's the only reason he is here.

9. Back To Top    #82
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Helen Moore is Linehan's BOY - that's the only reason he is here.
    I still can't understand what Linehan sees in him on the field. I understand he knows the system, ok I get that. He SUCKS on the field. If he's smart and knows the system then make his ass a QB coach under Wade Wilson. Just keep him off the field.

10. Appreciation ThoughtExperiment appreciated this post