dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Used to a ton of work, Taco Charlton's night lasted two series

Note Red headed Boob no shit Sherlock comment.

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

CANTON, Ohio -- Taco Charlton kept trying to get in the line of sight of defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli or assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett.

The Dallas Cowboys' first-round pick wanted to play, especially since around 20 family members and friends made the drive to Canton from Columbus for the Hall of Fame Game on Thursday night.

"They didn't let that happen," Charlton said of his coaches after he played in just the first two series. "I wanted to, though."

Charlton started at left defensive end and he was not credited with a tackle before his night came to an end. The Arizona Cardinals scored touchdowns on the two drives Charlton played, but pinning that on him is not fair.

Coach Jason Garrett said the defense, "felt soft" at the start of the game. That makes it even more curious as to why Charlton did not play more.

The Cowboys selected him with the 28th overall pick with the idea of him being a big part of the pass-rush rotation. With the suspensions of David Irving and Damontre Moore at the start of the season, they will need him even more.

"We felt like he had a good number of snaps in this game," Garrett said of Charlton. "I don't know the exact total right now, but he's going to get plenty of snaps as we go forward."

Four preseason games remain, and the Cowboys will undoubtedly play their core linemen more. Tyrone Crawford and DeMarcus Lawrence sat out Thursday.

"It was a little bit different when you're used to playing 60, 70 plays," Charlton said. "It all comes with the game. At the end of the day they want to protect me and things like that. Once we really start getting rolling I'll get the chance to get used to the game, get used to everything coming at me. Then I'll be good."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really curious they didn't give Taco more PT, he obviously needs the work and he wanted to keep playing. The others rookies kept playing for a lot of the game.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Coach Jason Garrett said the defense, "felt soft" at the start of the game. That makes it even more curious as to why Charlton did not play more.

Gingers firm grasp of the obvious is a big reason Jerry pays him so handsomely.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
(Taco) Used to a ton of work
Ohhhhh... THAT explains why he was sucking wind and looking completely exhausted after that second TD drive by the Cards! I get it now!

They sat him after that to spare him further embarrassment, the Cardinals' o-line was shoving him around like a red headed 2nd grader on the 6th grader playground.

And then? The Cards only managed 3 points for the entire game after that.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Ohhhhh... THAT explains why he was sucking wind and looking completely exhausted after that second TD drive by the Cards! I get it now!

They sat him after that to spare him further embarrassment, the Cardinals' o-line was shoving him around like a red headed 2nd grader on the 6th grader playground.

And then? The Cards only managed 3 points for the entire game after that.

Yea he was pretty bad. It's no coincidence that as soon as he came out the defense started playing better.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea he was pretty bad. It's no coincidence that as soon as he came out the defense started playing better.

I didn't see much evidence of "playing better" honestly. They still didn't get to the QB (no DL was credited for a sack or QB knockdown)

Top Bottom