dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I had pretty low expectations going in, and other than a few individual players the game was pretty blah for me. There was probably more bad or concerning than there was good.

1) I'll start with the OL. Collins got a few series at RT and was ok, but I didn't see the 2nd coming of Big E there either. I was at first surprised he played at all, but its obvious he needs work/reps and I'm sure now that's why the coaches played him. In regards to Jonathan Cooper, I can see now why some covering the team think Chaz Green is going to be the starting LG if he can ever stay healthy (highly questionable obviously). Cooper played liked a journeymen IMO and certainly doesn't look like a guy who was worthy of a top-10 pick just a few years ago. Byron Bell was better than him IMO, Emmett Cleary got flagged for 1 holding call but he wasn't horrible. I thought Dan Skipper was horrendous.

2) I said before the game that the DL and DB were really what I was most interested in seeing, and cant say that after what we saw last night I came away with any sort of comfort level there. I'll cover DL first: Taco played two series and didn't do much save one pass rush where I saw him break free, but the QB got rid of it (and pass was easily completed). Tapper played a lot but was only credited with 1 tackle. he did show some explosion off the ball and speed, but he didn't transfer that into consistent pressure either. I thought Demontre Moore had a similar sowing as Tapper, where there were a few plays he showed some explosion but not enough pressure. None of the DT's impressed me, including the two rookie 7th rd picks. Overall our team got two sacks, and neither of them was by a DL despite playing against backups and scrubs. Not good.

3) Jeff Heath and Byron Jones both started, and neither looked good. Jones had a couple nice stops vs the run, but both he and Heath seemed pretty ordinary vs the pass (despite it being all backups for Cards) and Heath badly missed on two tackles. On one play I noticed Heath (like his ordinary predecessor Chruch) was late getting to the help spot and a completion was given up because of it. Awuzie had a nice play or two but also gave up several completions. Marquez White gave up a completion or two but also had a few plays where his coverage was really good, but he also badly missed on a tackle that turned a fairly short throw into a decent gain. Everyone (mostly Zoners) was gaga over Xavier Woods back in April but he was hardly noticeable on the field vs the run or pass. Anthony Brown got hurt on the 2nd series but supposedly it isn't serious. He gave up one big play when he was in decent position and tried for the deflection, but missed. Like the DL, I didn't see much to be overly excited about here.

4) Nobody will probably talk much about them, but two of the UDFA LB's played pretty well. Joseph Jones played quite a bit and was in on a team leading 9 tackles (#43 from Northwestern, IIRC he had some really impressive proday workout numbers). I thought Kennan Gilchrist had a nice showing. Really moved well, had a couple of good blitzes and a nice hit on a run play. Damian Wilson had a decent showing, got a sack and showed good range. But he's headed for a major suspension I suspect.

5) The obvious good were Rico Gathers (for his receiving anyway, I didn't think he did well as a blocker at all) Brice Butler, Rod Smith, Alfred Morris and Andy Jones. The TD to Gathers was evidence of what a redzone weapon he could end up being, as the DB had zero chance of getting anywhere near the ball. Gathers also plucked the ball right out of the air on that play. Loved the play where he went down but was able to get up and run for the 1st. Had another nice gain later as well. Butler looked really explosive and Jones caught the ball well (something he didn't do last preseason). Will cover RB's below.

6) I have read a bunch of stuff where there's praise for Moore and Rush for their play. Moore had 3 or 4 decent throws, but the guy has absolutely no arm strength (like close to all-time weak arms that I've ever seen) and he is a smurf standing back there. He also threw away points with a dumb decision that led to an endzone interception. I have absolutely zero confidence that if something happens to Prescott and Moore has to play, that we can do anything in the passing game. Rush looked like what a UDFA 3rd or 4th string QB could be expected to look to me. Couple decent passes but did more with his feet than his arm IMO. I read where some idiot Zomers were already declaring this guy the next Romo and that he should be the #2. I really hope that McCown shows enough to win the backup spot or they look elsewhere after final cutdowns, but I have an ugly feeling that isn't going to happen.

7) I get that they like McFadden's versatility and the fact that in a pinch, he can also return kickoffs. But dude is not the same as a RB threat as Morris or even Smith at this point. With McFadden's age and cost, I'd think that if he doesn't step it up a little that they'd have to seriously consider moving on from him. Morris looks like he has lost several pounds to me and looked pretty quick, and Smith is a jack of all trades guy that ran hard, caught the ball well, can play RB and FB and also plays special teams. I think if we lost Zeke for a few games Morris would be a far more productive runner than McFadden by quite a bit, but Jones and the staff might not agree because of their love for McFadden. Ronnie Hillman looked like a spare part type player to me.

Like I said above, pretty blah opener (which is what I expected) but I am disappointed the pass rush was almost nonexistent and the DB's (especially Jones and Heath) did not fare that well.

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I had pretty low expectations going in,
And they were met.

I said before the game that the DL and DB were really what I was most interested in seeing, and cant say that after what we saw last night I came away with any sort of comfort level there

Season likely determined on that side of the ball.

Jeff Heath and Byron Jones both started, and neither looked good. Jones had a couple nice stops vs the run, but both he and Heath seemed pretty ordinary vs the pass

Yeah and thats all that really matters. Year three and Jones is a first rounder who looks like a fourth rounder.

The obvious good were Rico Gathers
Anything they get out of him is gravy. I have zero expectations.

I have read a bunch of stuff where there's praise for Moore and Rush for their play.
Said it yesterday, Dak goes down any length of time and we'll be talking 2018 draft.

I get that they like McFadden's versatility and the fact that in a pinch, he can also return kickoffs.
Zeke suspension probably saves him initially but those glass hammies ready to go south anytime. Cant count on him, dont want him.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
How many sideline floaters did Moore throw last night? I lost count.

Reaction score
I thought Demontre had some good traits- I'm not sure if it's one of those "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king" things but there were some good pushes and he played the run at least better than everyone else on the DL. Seemed like there quite a few blitz looks but in classic Cowboys of the 2000s, they load the line with 7 and all 7 get blocked by 5 O-linemen. But the bigger issue to me was the terrible tackling (poor angles, anticipation, and just single wrap-up take downs) and covering the big TE (which looked like diffusion of responsibility where everyone around assumed someone else was going to cover him).

**Receivers. Brice Butler. Just needs reps and the starting nod. If TWilly doesn't drop passes but then is not open enough to get targeted or worse doesn't extend for difficult passes (his staple reaction last year which is not measured as a drop), then Brice may increase the outside threat or options for the #2Wr. Gathers still needs a lot of work but line him up in all goal line and short yardage - that ball is not coming out of those paws.
I don't think Andy Jones has anything to keep. Seems like Sam Hurd syndrome of a few good preseason plays but is not fast or strong or specialized to keep. Lance Lanoir the same. Brian Brown was open yesterday but those two QB train wrecks in Moore and Rush couldn't pass.

** Mt RushMoore. This ridiculous idea that those two QBs "know the system" and that's why they are on the team (and the only reason in the NFL), has to change. Can you imagine if Helen had not hurt his ankle last year? He has no strength and can't see over the line. He lofts because he can't see. Cooper Rush was liking cheering for special olympics. His ankle on one of his feet turned out when he ran. He has no arm and no ability to manage more kinetic plays. He was lame.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I didn't want to start a thread about Jerry and the HOF but I just saw this and found it amusing

Apparently Tony posted this pic
b4640cacdfbbb213d291ce6dab7a584a.jpg

Reaction score
It was several. That almost seems like the extent of his ability.

Rush already looks better to me (or was that Cole Beasley in disguise?) He's got better fundamentals, is quicker on his feet, and has more zip on the ball.

One positive for me is that we are now 1-0, well on our way to 24-0 (5-0 PS, 16-0 RS, 3-0 PO)!!!!

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I didn't want to start a thread about Jerry and the HOF but I just saw this and found it amusing

Apparently Tony posted this pic
b4640cacdfbbb213d291ce6dab7a584a.jpg

There was a rumor floating around that Jerry dropped 5 mil on his induction party. Must be nice to celebrate "you" in style. Probably could have bought a competent GM for that money but hey, that is just my opinion.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There was a rumor floating around that Jerry dropped 5 mil on his induction party. Must be nice to celebrate "you" in style. Probably could have bought a competent GM for that money but hey, that is just my opinion.

Top Bottom