theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ef366dd3d10006c7820a45041502c1ed_crop_exact.jpg

The first last-second pass to be called a "Hail Mary" wasn't really a Hail Mary.

The bomb Roger Staubach threw to Drew Pearson to beat the Vikings in December 1975 was just that: a bomb. The modern Hail Mary play, with receivers clumped in the end zone waiting for a jump ball, did not yet exist. Staubach may have been throwing up a prayer when he coined the term "Hail Mary" to describe the play, but the almighty helps those who help themselves. What he really threw was a long back-shoulder pass after a pump fake, not a coin in a wishing well.

Staubach was often called "Captain Comeback" in his day, in addition to "Captain America" and "Roger the Dodger." The nicknames described both the personality and playing style: an all-American Navy vet with the legs, arm and creativity to improvise, adapt and overcome anything the defense threw at him.

Staubach's actual comeback totals aren't that impressive—15 fourth-quarter comebacks in eight seasons as a starter—but Staubach's Cowboys didn't trail many opponents in the first place. Staubach led the Cowboys to 11 playoff wins and two Super Bowls, throwing 24 postseason touchdowns in the defense-dominated '70s. His clutch bona fides aren't really debatable.

Next time you see a quarterback attempt a Hail Mary, imagine a world in which neither the term (outside of prayer books) nor the play even existed. Then imagine what sort of player could single-handedly popularize the late-game miracle and add a whole new meaning to the English language. Roger Staubach was that sort of player.

NFL Nostalgia: Ranking History's Most Clutch Quarterbacks | Bleacher Report

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There are still some numb nuts over at CZ calling Romo the greatest QB in Cowboys history. Somehow he didnt crack this list with those gaudy 2 playoff wins.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There are still some numb nuts over at CZ calling Romo the greatest QB in Cowboys history.
Statistically, he easily is. But that's really not saying much, since Dallas has never been much of a passing team. Romo breaks all of Aikman's passing records? Big deal, those are pretty pedestrian even for Aikman's time.

It's when the fanbois start comparing Romo to Marino or even Brees that I get a bit rankled. Romo's not even in the top 20 all-time for passing yards. Brees and Marino run 3 and 5 all time, respectively. Hell, Romo doesn't even beat Bledsoe in this category. It's silly to say Romo is at all "great." He's just slightly above average, all-time statistically.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There are still some numb nuts over at CZ calling Romo the greatest QB in Cowboys history. Somehow he didnt crack this list with those gaudy 2 playoff wins.

Retards. Romo isn't even in the same galaxy as Staubach and Aikman.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Statistically, he easily is. But that's really not saying much, since Dallas has never been much of a passing team. Romo breaks all of Aikman's passing records? Big deal, those are pretty pedestrian even for Aikman's time.

It's when the fanbois start comparing Romo to Marino or even Brees that I get a bit rankled. Romo's not even in the top 20 all-time for passing yards. Brees and Marino run 3 and 5 all time, respectively. Hell, Romo doesn't even beat Bledsoe in this category. It's silly to say Romo is at all "great." He's just slightly above average, all-time statistically.

Good player but IMO not an elite player. Nothing wrong with that especially when you consider he was UDFA, but he was not a "winner" in terms of being a championship caliber QB.

Not even remotely close to Staubach or Aikman IMO. I don't care what his stats are. Different game, different rules, different era.

Aikman would rip this league to shreds if he played in his prime today.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Statistically, he easily is

Except in 1978 the rules changed regarding contact down the field by DBs. They have progressively tilted toward offense ever since. Staubach's numbers are great considering the Mel Blounts of the world could take take your head off or pyle drive you into the ground at will in that era. I take the modern offenses numbers with a big grain of salt. When I watched Romo I expected to be entertained, when I watched Staubach I expected a ring.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not even remotely close to Staubach or Aikman IMO. I don't care what his stats are. Different game, different rules, different era.

Aikman would rip this league to shreds if he played in his prime today.
Not disagreeing with any of this. In fact, Romo wouldn't last a single season in Aikman's era, much less Roger's. Back when they could really hit the QB, and could pretty much mug the receivers. They'd gobble Romo up and make him a snack.
Except in 1978 the rules changed regarding contact down the field by DBs. They have progressively tilted toward offense ever since. Staubach's numbers are great considering the Mel Blounts of the world could take take your head off or pyle drive you into the ground at will in that era. I take the modern offenses numbers with a big grain of salt. When I watched Romo I expected to be entertained, when I watched Staubach I expected a ring.
Roger that. (Pun intended.) Just what I posted above.

But look, we can't tell this stuff - these facts of football life - to the Romosexuals. It goes in one ear and out the other and we're 'haters.'

Few things in sports fan life are worse than the younger set, who really didn't start watching football until the 90s. These pussies think Romo is "great?" They're lowering the bar by miles applying that term. And they don't know that they don't know.

Top Bottom