Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just recently heard the reason for the sea foam green (or whatever color you want to call them) pants that the Cowboys wear.

Apparently they were designed that way to allow them to "appear" silver on the early color TV broadcasts. Then it just stuck and they never changed them back to real silver color once the color technology advanced enough to show true colors

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Tex was a marketing genius but I have to say, never really liked the color of the pants. They actually have even worn different shades of the green colored pants, depending on what company they were sponsored by.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
There were a number of things wrong in that article. For starters, the greenish tint didn't appear until 1986, not the late 1970s.

I'll make it very simple for you, Jerry.

tt.thumb.jpg.97b97d1aeb120a21b1061ccfa5d66141.jpg

The pants should look like this:

s-l1600 (62).jpg

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hate this time of year. Seafoam pants as a topic. I guess it beats the zone where they are doing CZ appreciation thread. Where the fan boys slobber all over Reality and the mods, and make sure none of their crevices go unlicked.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I hate the offseason too. Worst part of being a football fan, even worse than seeing any Cleveland Browns news/highlights during the season. Best years of my fandom was when there were no Cleveland Browns.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
even worse than seeing any Cleveland Browns news/highlights during the season. Best years of my fandom was when there were no Cleveland Browns.

All I feel is pity to the Browns. I have a feeling 31 other teams are happy to have an automatic W on the schedule though. Come to think of it there was that beat down they gave the Cowboys in that 1968 playoff game. IIRC that was Meredith's last game. Yeah I hate em.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah...off season sucks for sure. On top of that, my son is off to college this fall so I've lost my football. buddy. I'll be especially ornery this season as opposed to my usual chipper, homer self.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The NFL off season has to be longest of any sport. Yeah, there is the draft and nonsensical top 100 player lists, but nothing beats actual live football. I've been spending the off season watching old Cowboys yearbooks and games on YouTube. Just watched an underwhelming 20-17 win over the Pats in 1984 (only interesting because it contained Mark Tuinei's one and only career sack). Next up I think I'll watch the rip roaring 20-14 home defeat to the Dolphins in '87 with Steve Pelluer at QB. I really need to get a life.

Reaction score
All Tex's fault apparently. Saw the color in a car's interior, liked it, decided the Cowboys should wear it.

Here's the real reason behind the Dallas Cowboys mismatched uniform colors | FOX Sports
With all due respect to Mike McCord, he wasn't the equipment manager in 1964 (that's the year switched to wearing white at home) so he has no idea of the real reason for the change.

Negating the Texas heat is a plausible theory, but that isn't the reason. Anyone who's read much about Tex Schramm knows the real reason. From 1960-63, the Cowboys wore blue at home, and visiting teams wore white. So for each home game, all fans would see is blue vs. white. Tex ws trying to increase fan interest in the Cowboys, especially now that the Texans had left for Kansas City. Why not wear white at home, then fans could see the red of the Cardinals, the green of the Eagles, the brown of the Browns, etc. In other words, give the fans some variety. And that's just what he did.

And to stir things up even more, I never bought into the blue jersey jinx. I actually prefer the royal blue uniforms over the navy blues we currently wear.

tempSuperBowls_012814_5.jpg

Top Bottom