Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Because I'm too lazy to find the appropriate thread and unwilling to bump and old thread just for this post I'll post it here

So I'm rewatching watching the Green Bay playoff game without the emotion and excitement that I had the first time around and a few things stand out.

I am soooo vary happy to be rid of the legion of boobs! One or more of those loosers were a part of every blown coverage resulting in a TD. Sometimes more than one of them screw up on each TD drive.

And...

We lost this game for the same reason we lost to GB in the playoffs in 2014. Which is not being able to get pressure on The QB. If you give Rodgers enough time he is going to pick us apart. I know, I know, any decent QB will do that given enough time. But Rodgers does it better than most and more often than most

No matter how bad our replacement secondary is this season I doubt they could be as bad as last seasons group. I'm glad most of them are gone.

And I hope this group of D-Lineman can get the job done or we will be one and done in the playoffs again

I'm also glad Free retired. That will save us at least 180 yards in false start and holding penalties this coming season

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We lost this game for the same reason we lost to GB in the playoffs in 2014. Which is not being able to get pressure on The QB.
No.... We lost this game because CoY Garrett had Dak spike the ball instead of running a play, giving Rodgers the time he needed to once again burn our Legion of Boobs. We had this fucking game won despite our sieve pass defense.

The very best defensive fronts cannot get to the QB every time it is needed. You really DO need a decent secondary. But most of all, you need a coach who isn't such a indecisive idiot, that he stops the clock with a spike call when it's not needed.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree

But my point is that we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place

If we could have got to the QB and had a decent pass defense we wouldn't have had to come back and tie the game

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No.... We lost this game because CoY Garrett had Dak spike the ball instead of running a play, giving Rodgers the time he needed to once again burn our Legion of Boobs. We had this fucking game won despite our sieve pass defense.

The very best defensive fronts cannot get to the QB every time it is needed. You really DO need a decent secondary. But most of all, you need a coach who isn't such a indecisive idiot, that he stops the clock with a spike call when it's not needed.

AND... because while on the Packers 15 yard line and with it being 1st and 10, Garrett decided to keep Zeke on the sidelines for that entire possession. He called three straight pass plays --- basically the same plays, that each resulted in an incomplete. He ran that possession as if it were practice, where he would call the same play over and over "until we get it right"; in the end... had to settle for a FG.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No.... We lost this game because CoY Garrett had Dak spike the ball instead of running a play, .

There's a lot of reasons we lost the game, but when you are a home favorite and score 31 pts with only 1 turnover, that should be enough to win said playoff game.

The defense melted down in the worst possible week to do so, and that's why there's a bunch of new guys here.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hate bad defense as much as anyone, but I do give them a lot of leeway when facing one of the greatest QBs to ever live, and IMO the best playing right now.

There's no rule saying our vaunted offense with incredible talent everywhere couldn't score more than 13 points through three quarters to more or less keep up. It's not like anyone considers GB's defense the 85 Bears.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hate bad defense as much as anyone, but I do give them a lot of leeway when facing one of the greatest QBs to ever live, and IMO the best playing right now.

There's no rule saying our vaunted offense with incredible talent everywhere couldn't score more than 13 points through three quarters to more or less keep up. It's not like anyone considers GB's defense the 85 Bears.

Like I said in the other thread. 31 pts is 31 pts. We didn't end up with 13 pts.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I agree

But my point is that we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place

If we could have got to the QB and had a decent pass defense we wouldn't have had to come back and tie the game
Against GB the last half of that year, almost everyone else they played found themselves in that position. NONE of them pissed the game away on a idiotic HC decision.

You're GONNA be in that position, I don't care who you are or how good you are. That is why you NEED a HC who isn't just a imbecile.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
without the emotion and excitement that I had
Ain't it interesting what you can pick up and see, when you're at least somewhat dispassionate objective and skeptical instead of waving pom poms like most fans do on game day?

I spend my Cowboys games yelling at the TV over shit like what you're seeing.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
No.... We lost this game because CoY Garrett had Dak spike the ball instead of running a play, giving Rodgers the time he needed to once again burn our Legion of Boobs. We had this fucking game won despite our sieve pass defense

Agreed. Sorta funny that Garrett wins Coach of the Year and yet his terrible coaching shows up in the worst possible place.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ain't it interesting what you can pick up and see, when you're at least somewhat dispassionate objective and skeptical instead of waving pom poms like most fans do on game day?

I spend my Cowboys games yelling at the TV over shit like what you're seeing.

Exactly

In 2015 I was yelling at the tv on game day because we sucked

In 2016 it was because we were rolling!

Plus I was sober this time around so I'm sure that helped me see things I didn't notice the first time around

One thing I must say is that our offense was really damn good last year. I am really looking forward to seeing how much better Zeke and Dak are with more experience. I'm guessing Zeke is chasing Dickerson's all time single season record by the end of this season

I hope we also get better from addition by subtraction when Butler and or Lucky don't make the team. Switzer might be the death of both of them. At least I hope so. Burler cost us 50 plus yards in the Green Bay game with his penalties and drops. Not to mention his drop in the end zone that would have resulted in a TD. I had high hopes for him with his speed but he never panned out. It's time to move on from him and Lucky

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm guessing Zeke is chasing Dickerson's all time single season record by the end of this season
He'll have far fewer rushing yards next season than last but much more receiving yards, I predict. They're not going to give it to him 300 times rushing, they want to keep this one.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's going to come down to the defense making the stops to keep us in the lead during games. Our offense is going to put the points up. But can our D hold its own so we are playing with a lead all year?

If we screw the pooch on D and have to play from behind we won't be running Zeke nearly as much

He may not have as many carries this season, but I believe he will break off more long runs than last year which will put him in range of the record at the end of the season

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He may not have as many carries this season, but I believe he will break off more long runs than last year which will put him in range of the record at the end of the season
He's got a big target on his back, hopefully defenses will be selling out to stop him and we can rip them off with passes to him instead, and show them a healthy dose of Switzer, along with more Beasley than they're used to. It'll be a different type of offense than we've seen. It will be Dak running Dak's offense, instead of being plugged into Romo's offense, for starters.

If we can hang fortyburgers on people and protect the ball like we did last year, our defense should be in a better tactical position.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm guessing Zeke is chasing Dickerson's all time single season record by the end of this season

He could have broken his rookie rushing record this season but Linehan didn't want him to for some reason.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He could have broken his rookie rushing record this season but Linehan didn't want him to for some reason.

Yep

It still pusses me off that they sat Zeke in the last game and a half to rest him for the playoffs

That was his one and only shot at breaking that rookie record. I doubt any RB will be in a better situation behind an O-Line like ours for many many years to come

But at least he has a couple more years behind the core of this o-line before the band breaks up for good and moves on for more money. So he still stands a great chance at breaking the single season record at least for two or three years.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's got a big target on his back, hopefully defenses will be selling out to stop him and we can rip them off with passes to him instead, and show them a healthy dose of Switzer, along with more Beasley than they're used to. It'll be a different type of offense than we've seen. It will be Dak running Dak's offense, instead of being plugged into Romo's offense, for starters.

If we can hang fortyburgers on people and protect the ball like we did last year, our defense should be in a better tactical position.

This offense is going to give defensive coordinators fits this season. Who do you double? Dez? Written? Beasley? Switzer? And if you do throw double coverage on one of them then you leave room for Zeke to break one loose. Pick your poison...

Get beat by the run or get beat in the air. They won't be able to stop both attacks every play. Then we still have Dak who I believe will run more this season

This is going to be an exciting and fun offense to watch. I just hope the defense doesn't spoil the party.

Our handicap will always be a glaring weakness and that is our HC. If anything is going to fuck us in the end it will be Carrot top

Top Bottom