theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Often remembered as a Green Bay Packer, cornerback Herb Adderly has a complicated legacy as a Dallas Cowboy as well.

Click here to pick up the 2017 Cowboys Blitz Post NFL Draft Guide today!

Adderly, a member of the 1960s All-Decade Team, won eight championships during his 12-year career. At the time of his retirement, Adderly was 13th all-time in interceptions. He was traded to Dallas before the 1970 season and immediately had an impact. Dallas surged from the 11th ranked pass defense in 1969 to number three in 1970, and also made it to their first Super Bowl. Their loss to the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl V would be the only playoff loss of Adderly’s career. Adderly led the Cowboys in interceptions (six) the following season and helped lead America’s Team to their first Super Bowl title.

So why is his legacy complicated? Adderly was benched midway through the 1972 season for what Tom Landry viewed as on-field insubordination. The tension grew on both sides, which led to Adderly ultimately being traded to the Rams in the summer of 1973 (though he retired before taking a snap with the team).

Adderly wrote years later in his autobiography that Landry was a racist. Former Packers teammate Jerry Kramer alleged that Adderly once declared, “I’m the only man with a Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl ring who doesn’t wear it.”

Today is Adderly’s 78th birthday. To this day, he is one of the greatest cornerbacks to play the game of football and played a major role in how the Cowboys made their first two Super Bowls. It’s difficult, however, to associate Adderly as a Cowboy when he seems to have completely disowned the franchise. Nevertheless, we wish Herb Adderly a happy 78th birthday.

We hope the Cowboys legend has many more.

Throwback Thursday: Herb Adderly’s bitter Cowboys legacy – Blitz Network

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He must've become bitter in his old age (or perhaps just trying to generate interest in his book) because he seemed very magnanimous in this Chicago Tribune article dated 12/10/72;

Herb Adderley Prefers Trade to Cowboy Bench

Herb Adderley spoke the words softly with no trace of bitterness: "It's obvious to me my future isn't with the Dallas Cowboys...this will be my last year."

The 12-year National Football League veteran of four Super Bowls was benched four games ago in favor of third-year man Charlie Waters.

Coach Tom Landry said Adderley wasn't coming up with turnovers which were needed in the former All-NFL star's gambling style of play.

"I know I have some play left in me," said the 33-year-old Adderley. "I'm moving the same as I always have been. I feel great physically. I've never been what you would call a speed burner. But I can still go...I just want the chance."

Adderley, who played in two Super Bowls for Green Bay before he was traded to Dallas where he played in two more, said he was used to more of a freelance style of play than that imposed on him by the Dallas system.

"I've been a reactor to what I see and I have to go for the ball to play my game," Adderley said. "I found myself hanging back because I was afraid of the way it would look in the films."

Adderley, who is on the last year of his contract with the Cowboys, said, "I'd hate to go. It's been a tremendous experience here. I've met some beautiful people and that's what life is all about. I go to practice with a smile. I thank God I'm healthy. And I feel a sadness for all the great players who haven't played in the Super Bowl like Gale Sayers, Sonny Jurgensen, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, and Larry Wilson."

"They've played their heart out the same way I have for 10, 12, or 13 years and never had the thrill of the Super Bowl."

Adderley said, "I feel very appreciative that the Cowboys thought I was good enough to make a trade for three years ago. I could have gone to another team and been completely forgotten."

He said, "I think they want to go with youth at my cornerback position and I go along with the move they've made if Landry thinks that is for the best results of the team. I'm a team man...I have to go along with a team situation...I'm a team man...and a winner."

The former Michigan State All-American said he wouldn't discuss the current problems with the Cowboy defense, saying "I'm not a coach."

He added "Morale is not the big issue . . . It's the same as it has been in my three years here."

Adderley's only advice to his teammates was to "play with abandon...don't be afraid to make a mistake."

He concluded his interview saying, "I have to be truthful . . . I think I helped the Cowboys and I played the best football I can possibly play...I plan to go in and have a decent conversation about my situation at the end of the season. If there is any future left for me [with Dallas], I would appreciate knowing what the situation is."

Last edited:
Top Bottom