spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
So, I recently picked up Stars and Strife at the library as they were selling a bunch of old books off. My questions to the community are

1.) Has anyone read it?

2.) Is it any good?

3.) Was it a good pickup?

Thank you. :)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's a okay read, it's Mike Fisher embedded with the team starting in '89 and going right on through Super Bowl 27. Best detail on the Everson Walls cut I've ever read, and also lots of anecdotes such as how the punter used to get beat up every training camp by Avezzano's special teams kamikazes, and the actual "asthma field" incident. The book covers lots of stuff.

Doesn't hurt that the author is a industrial psychologist who specializes in humanistic counseling and anger management - puts him right where Jimmy Johnson originally wanted to be entering college and also gives better insight to a lot of Jimmy's decision making and personnel management standards.

You did okay if you picked it up cheap.

Reaction score
It's a okay read, it's Mike Fisher embedded with the team starting in '89 and going right on through Super Bowl 27. Best detail on the Everson Walls cut I've ever read, and also lots of anecdotes such as how the punter used to get beat up every training camp by Avezzano's special teams kamikazes, and the actual "asthma field" incident. The book covers lots of stuff.

Doesn't hurt that the author is a industrial psychologist who specializes in humanistic counseling and anger management - puts him right where Jimmy Johnson originally wanted to be entering college and also gives better insight to a lot of Jimmy's decision making and personnel management standards.

You did okay if you picked it up cheap.
Fans may remember that Skip Bayless got wind of Fisher's project, and he decided to author his own book about the Cowboys, "Hell-Bent" (1996).

He rushed it to print to beat Fisher's book to bookstores, and he did indeed beat Fisher's book by about three months. His book covers much of the same ground, but it infamously includes the gratuitous whispers about Troy Aikman being gay.

So Bayless' one book managed to piss off both Aikman and Fisher.

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Was in the car last night and heard someone say Bayless claimed all NFL players should go on strike until Kaepernick got a job. :lol

Top Bottom