NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
They didn't have any problem trashing Wade or Campo, though.

I think too many of them endorsed him from the start and now refuse to admit they were wrong -- Archer is a big fan, JJT said a couple years in that Jerry should give him a 10-year extension, etc.

And while I agree on the Fan -- probably one reason that's the one station I rarely listen to -- the one voice I've heard truly call out Garrett is Jesse Holly on the postgame show. He's been surprisingly harsh for being on the Official Show. He's also the only one who's actually played for Garrett. Hmm.

How many former players have good things to say about Garrett?

You hear more good about Jerry than you do about Red from former players. Now let that sink in.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They didn't have any problem trashing Wade or Campo, though.

I think too many of them endorsed him from the start and now refuse to admit they were wrong -- Archer is a big fan, JJT said a couple years in that Jerry should give him a 10-year extension, etc.

And while I agree on the Fan -- probably one reason that's the one station I rarely listen to -- the one voice I've heard truly call out Garrett is Jesse Holly on the postgame show. He's been surprisingly harsh for being on the Official Show. He's also the only one who's actually played for Garrett. Hmm.

You’re right about Holly. He absolutely went off after the Green Bay loss. Norm will call them out too. He’s part of that old school media like Galloway and Hansen so I think Jerry gives him a pass.

Those two guys by themselves, hell even factoring in Hansen they are not enough by themselves to raise up enough stink to run Garrett out of town. The media is very different now than it was when Campo or even Wade out of town. Print media was a much more popular way of getting Cowboys news and Jerry didn’t own or have a stake in any of those sources. Now days it’s all about the internet. The Cowboys have a huge stake in different media outlets on the internet and therefore would have a bigger say in who stays and who goes. And those he doesn’t have any control over he butters up with a huge party he throws specifically for the media every year. The guys on the Hardline talked about he was letting them drink his Johnny Walker.

So there is no way they’re going to go hard after Garrett. They have more to gain/keep by not going after him hard. Garrett is Jerry’s boy and with no big time media pressure Jerry isn’t going to fire him. Jerry himself will have to get tired of him before he moves on.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
the one voice I've heard truly call out Garrett is Jesse Holly on the postgame show. He's been surprisingly harsh for being on the Official Show. He's also the only one who's actually played for Garrett. Hmm.

Has he elaborated on what his issues are and whether they were observed while he was playing?

I'd love to end up on a long plane trip sitting next to Bill Parcels or Bill Callahan and have the flight attendant get them good and liquored up in order to try and get them to spill the beans about all the bullshit that goes on behind the scenes we never hear about, I bet they have a ton of stories that would make Cowboy fans wanna puke

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That was a gift fluke year for the Sox. Getting rid of Farrell is probably a good move.

Red Sox are talking about hiring Brad Ausmus who did absolutely nothing in Detroit with a pretty talented team.

Not about that, its about the media not putting up with sucking for years in those cities, you dont get 50 years on the job training, you get called out. On top of that I believe the Red Sox owner also owns one of the major news papers but doesnt get any slack. In NY they ran off Coughlin and he had two rings, and based on J Ville he hasnt forgotten everything he knew.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Not about that, its about the media not putting up with sucking for years in those cities, you dont get 50 years on the job training, you get called out. On top of that I believe the Red Sox owner also owns one of the major news papers but doesnt get any slack. In NY they ran off Coughlin and he had two rings, and based on J Ville he hasnt forgotten everything he knew.

I gotcha.

Its like Garrett has cast a spell over the media and is exempt from any legit criticism. He gets the same exempt treatment Obama got. Two frauds.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I gotcha.

Its like Garrett has cast a spell over the media and is exempt from any legit criticism. He gets the same exempt treatment Obama got. Two frauds.

Obama was exempt? Dude what country are you living in. That dude gets blamed for everything that’s wrong with this country and he isn’t even POTUS anymore.

As for Red not getting any blame from the media, read the prior posts. It’s Jerry that has a financial stake in the local media and is likely (not definitely, just a theory) the reason the local media doesn’t go hard after Red.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Obama was exempt? Dude what country are you living in. That dude gets blamed for everything that’s wrong with this country and he isn’t even POTUS anymore.

As for Red not getting any blame from the media, read the prior posts. It’s Jerry that has a financial stake in the local media and is likely (not definitely, just a theory) the reason the local media doesn’t go hard after Red.

So if I go watch CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, or NBC Ill hear Obama getting blamed for (rightfully so) the mess he created? Did this just start this afternoon?

I read the posts about Jerry's financial part. Its similar to Dan Snyder in DC.

But why dont pundits on FS1 or ESPN criticize Garrett more? They like bashing Jerry every chance they get so its not about his money there.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So if I go watch CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, or NBC Ill hear Obama getting blamed for (rightfully so) the mess he created? Did this just start this afternoon?

I read the posts about Jerry's financial part. Its similar to Dan Snyder in DC.

But why dont pundits on FS1 or ESPN criticize Garrett more? They like bashing Jerry every chance they get so its not about his money there.

Those stations are not talking about Obama because he’s not the one in office is right now. And I’m not saying Obama is 100% free of fault for the state of the country but you can’t tell me that Trump hasn’t fanned the flames. And just take a look on social media and you will see all the people that put ALL the blame on Obama. Hell you just did it yourself.

The national media guys aren’t as dialed in to the team as the local media and all they really see is that Garrett won COY last year. Listen to the broadcasts, they are usually praising Garrett. Aikman finally said something this past week about Garrett but that’s been rare. Then when one of the National guys (lady) criticized Jerry ESPN suspended her. Now it wasn’t about Garrett but it could be a reason even the National guys don’t go hard after the Cowboys/Jerry/Garrett.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Mr B, you make some good points an about Jerry having more control over some media. Teams have control over their own web media more than ever, and sometimes it feels like Jerry owns The Fan. But there are still plenty of media who aren't controlled by him and who don't go to press conferences, so they don't have to deal with him on a daily basis. Besides, they should know Jerry doesn't really mind criticism -- as long as you're talking about him, he's good.

Oh and btw, Norm is a huge Garrett homer. He's one of those who blames everything bad on Jerry, says Jerry is holding him back, etc. I think Norm became buddies with Jason back when he was still playing. Remember the famous "Fire Him!"rant?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett got that from another coach. He gets everything from other coaches. Nothing original. Look for what other coaches do and say and find something to mimic. He reads coaching books and articles, looks online for some coach speak and when he finds something that gives him a tingle and a hard on he parrots it as if its his own creative idea. Get some t shirts made. Repeat it 50 times a day and get the players repeating it. Then he can pat himself on the back because the team is all in and following his lead.

He had t-shirts with the word HAH! On it. What the fuck?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The problem with that theory is Zeke will be gone for six games either this year or next. So in Jerry’s eyes Garrett gets a pass for whichever year Zeke doesn’t play the full year. So in Jerry’s eyes he “technically” only has one loosing season. Not two in a row.

He would have to have two consecutive losing season where he had absolutely nothing that it could be blamed on IE: Romo breaking his back, his collar bone (twice) or Zeke being suspended

Garrett always has a legitimate (in Jerry’s eyes) excuse as to why we suck again

So his tenure as HC is safe for the foreseeable future

I disagree. After two consecutive losing seasons, do you really think Jerry is going to risk a third? Excluding his first two years of ownership (89-90), Jones had not had consecutive losing seasons except with Campo, and that was three losing seasons.He's not going to go through that again, not this time around.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Those stations are not talking about Obama because he’s not the one in office is right now. And I’m not saying Obama is 100% free of fault for the state of the country but you can’t tell me that Trump hasn’t fanned the flames. And just take a look on social media and you will see all the people that put ALL the blame on Obama. Hell you just did it yourself.

The national media guys aren’t as dialed in to the team as the local media and all they really see is that Garrett won COY last year. Listen to the broadcasts, they are usually praising Garrett. Aikman finally said something this past week about Garrett but that’s been rare. Then when one of the National guys (lady) criticized Jerry ESPN suspended her. Now it wasn’t about Garrett but it could be a reason even the National guys don’t go hard after the Cowboys/Jerry/Garrett.

Jemele got suspended from ESPN because of her constant racist race baiting rants and for tweeting that the Cowboys should be boycotted because Jerry said his players would stand and not disrespect the flag or country. It had nothing to do with Garrett or losing games.

And all those stations you say arent talking about Obama because he isnt in office sure had no problem talking about GWB and blaming him for every ill in the country even though Obama was the one making a mess. The lame stream media is just a propaganda machine for the left and the democrats. They lie about Trump daily. Just watch what Trump actually says and does then look at the lame stream coverage and its spin driven BS.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jemele got suspended from ESPN because of her constant racist race baiting rants and for tweeting that the Cowboys should be boycotted because Jerry said his players would stand and not disrespect the flag or country. It had nothing to do with Garrett or losing games.

And all those stations you say arent talking about Obama because he isnt in office sure had no problem talking about GWB and blaming him for every ill in the country even though Obama was the one making a mess. The lame stream media is just a propaganda machine for the left and the democrats. They lie about Trump daily. Just watch what Trump actually says and does then look at the lame stream coverage and its spin driven BS.

What exactly did they lie about Trump? How he’s left American citizens stranded in Puerto Rico to fend for themselves? Or how he’s even addressing the NFL when he’s has more serious issues on the table like Puerto Rico, North Korea, and health care? Also I don’t recall any of those sports stations going after GWB.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
What exactly did they lie about Trump? How he’s left American citizens stranded in Puerto Rico to fend for themselves? Or how he’s even addressing the NFL when he’s has more serious issues on the table like Puerto Rico, North Korea, and health care? Also I don’t recall any of those sports stations going after GWB.

Apparently the Gov of PR has a different opinion than yours or the bash Trump liberal media. If u get past the liberal media who want to do nothing but bash Trump you would see that plenty of help has been sent to PR. You act as if he could just snap his fingers and presto it all happens in the blink of an eye.

And does anybody really think that a few tweets and comments about the anthem and the NFL take away from his tending to other matters? If so, you're buying into more liberal spin and BS.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I disagree. After two consecutive losing seasons, do you really think Jerry is going to risk a third? Excluding his first two years of ownership (89-90), Jones had not had consecutive losing seasons except with Campo, and that was three losing seasons.He's not going to go through that again, not this time around.

Absolutely!
Like I said, Zeke will serve his suspension for one of those seasons so in Jerry’s mind Garrett will get a pass for that season and it won’t count against him

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

How has he left the people to fend for themselves in Puerto Rico? FIMA is there; the military is there; law enforcement response teams are there. There are probably tens of thousands of US personnel there. What else can people ask for?

Top Bottom