ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think the Eagles Lane Johnson got suspended for something similar IIRC. Taking OTC supplements made by a company he had an endorsement deal with. His appeal was unsuccessful IIRC.

And Johnson gained like 90 lbs since high school, too.

The whole "supplement" story was probably all a lie. Could very well be with Irving, too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We have some dumb fucking players. We better score 40 points a game.

Like I said. Its OTC stuff. It isn't roids or GH.

Its a stupid fucking league policy IMO.

And like I said in another post in this thread, they seem to selectively decide whom to punish and who not to punish. There's CLEARLY a bunch of guys around the league that have never been punished and when you look at them they scream roid/GH use.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
i worked at gnc in college and new supplement companies always seemed to come out of nowhere. as a supplement manufacturer, you want your customers to get the biggest gains, greatest intensity, fastest recovery, etc. the newest products always walked a fine line when it came to ban-able substances. after a couple months, the newest ingredient would make the banned substance list and they'd have to recall and re-formulate everything. lots of times there was no recall, and you could continue to buy banned supplements as long as they were available---we still sold them but we didn't get replenished.

i remember back in the day when they banned andro and ephedra and everyone wanted it after the ban.

there's no way to regulate supplements and the ban list is ever-changing. you'll always have a guy who fucks up because he took the wrong shit or even too much of the right shit. but still, as a pro-athlete, you have so many resources at your disposal that this should never happen.

I guess we can agree to disagree then. None of the stuff OTC nowadays is anything like prescription Steroids or Growth Hormone.

There's no reason the league should be suspending players for OTC junk. Maybe warn them or fine them if they have some issue with it, but kicking them out of games completely is stupid IMO.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree
They should be warned first on the OTC items

If they don't listen to the warning and are dumb enough to continue using it.....

Then suspend them

But a flat out suspension for a substance that we can likely go to GNC and by for ourselves is stupid

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Our QB from last year, who was the NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year, went to Boise State and was having a great spring with them. He tested hot for an OTC the last day of spring ball. The NCAA suspended him for a year and since he already used his redshirt as a freshman at Arizona State, that means he will only have 1 year left after the suspension, so Boise State dumped him.

Now it looks like he will have to play D2. The NCAA, like the NFL, puts out a list of approved OTC products but asking these guys to know every product they can or can't use is a bit much.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
bc1bb006498983797b281c556e4a424b.png

Apparently Irving has info that could help him avoid the suspension and win an appeal

The article doesn't state what that evidence might be

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Giants kickers beats the living hell out of his wife for years, gets 1 game.

David Irving going to get 4 game vacay for taking some OTC crap that any slob can walk into GNC and probably get for 50 or 60 bucks.

Seems legit.

That's because the NFL doesn't give a shit about women. Unless is can make them money that is (pink jerseys).

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
i don't think there's fire to that smoke. lots of shitty athletes did very well marketing supplements. a strength gaining supplement with tom brady on the cover isn't going to sell shit. put a monster like irving on something and maybe you can move product.

as a workout warrior i didn't care as much how good you were at a sport, as much as what you look like.

there are some big name athletes out there that rep supplements tho.

Like the spare DE that played in Dallas that Under Armor hired to endorse their products. Dude was a spare but extremely jacked.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
here's a little more on the suspensions:

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
You mean the "supplements" defense failed?? I'm .. stunned.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm so sick of the NFL suspending players in the off season for failing a drug test. Why not let them do what ever the fuck they wanna do and on the first day of the pre season drug test the lot of them. Any fails find out why and then tag em, this off season bullshit is way to much like getting up in my business when I'm at home.

I get arrested in the off season? Did I kill someone? Yeah, ok suspend me. You made me take a drug test before I was playing other players? Why? You play it off like you care about the health of the players, but that ain't it. Concussions and that stupid protocol. They need to get out of the players fucking lives unless it is directly effecting a GAME that matters to bettors, not off season horse shit.

And the people that keep saying RKG's. Is it not obvious that since Red took over the only thing he's actually gave a fuck about is the offense? How many of those guys are getting suspended? How shitty is our Defense? Red does not care about defense and therefore doesn't care who is on the D. That's my opinion on it. Irving being lost for 4 games, meh, might as well just cut him since we are in full defensive rebuild anyway.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Its never some guy on the practice squad, its always somebody they need. Some of these guys are so dumb that they probably have a hard time spelling their own name.

Top Bottom