dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have no idea what the bolded means, this is the first I have ever heard of this.

RB LeGarrette Blount joins Eagles on 1-year deal

10:31 AM ET

ESPN.com news services

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a one-year deal with former New England Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount, the team announced Wednesday.

The Patriots had issued an unrestricted free agent tender to Blount last week before the May 9 deadline that ensures that the running back will count toward the 2018 compensatory pick formula. Blount was the only player in the NFL to receive the UFA tender this year.

A source told ESPN's Josina Anderson that clubs expressing interest in signing Blount had been vetting a deal structure that can navigate the compensatory pick calculation. It is not known if the Eagles structured Blount's deal in such a way as to avoid him counting toward the 2018 compensatory pick formula.

Blount entered free agency after the best season of his seven-year career. He led the NFL with 18 rushing touchdowns, which was the highest total in the NFL since Adrian Peterson had 18 in 2009. He was the Patriots' top power running back, totaling 1,161 yards on 299 carries in the regular season.

"LeGarrette Blount is a tough, physical runner who has enjoyed a great deal of success in New England and we are excited about adding him to this football team," Eagles executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman said in a statement. "We feel good about the depth and competition that we have created at the running back position and we are looking forward to getting the guys out on the field next week for OTAs."

The 6-foot, 250-pound Blount had expressed his desire to return to New England

The Arizona Cardinals also had showed some interest in acquiring Blount, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Blount, who turned 30 in December, has had the most success in his career with the Patriots, with whom he's had two separate stints. The Patriots acquired him in a trade with Tampa Bay in 2013, and Blount signed a one-year deal with the Steelers the next year, before returning to New England later in the 2014 season after Pittsburgh released him.

In 100 regular-season games, Blount has rushed for 5,122 yards and 49 touchdowns.

Reaction score
Compensatory pick criteria includes how much the FA's new team signs him for... the more money, the higher the pick. I don't know why the Eagles would give a shit, it's not like it's coming from them in the first place.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Compensatory pick criteria includes how much the FA's new team signs him for... the more money, the higher the pick. I don't know why the Eagles would give a shit, it's not like it's coming from them in the first place.

Right, I get that.

But he was a totally UFA. Why does "tendering" him give them (Pats) something for the compensatory pick calculation.

That's the new part.

Reaction score
Right, I get that.

But he was a totally UFA. Why does "tendering" him give them (Pats) something for the compensatory pick calculation.

That's the new part.
The Pats had until May 9 I think to tender him as a FA to be able to fall under the compensatory pick formula. May 10 and they hadn't signed him to a tender then they wouldn't get anything no matter how much the new team paid him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Pats had until May 9 I think to tender him as a FA to be able to fall under the compensatory pick formula. May 10 and they hadn't signed him to a tender then they wouldn't get anything no matter how much the new team paid him.

It says he is the only player in the league this happened to.

So why not offer some b/s deal to all free agents to get them to count?

Top Bottom