dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Question: Who are some other possible Cowboys targets through your evaluation you've seen maybe falling down to that range?

Dane Brugler: I mentioned Da'Ron Payne. The big question will be: Philosophically is this team going to look at the one-technique, the nose tackle? Traditionally, under the current coaching regime, that's the position they've stayed away from in the first round. They even moved Maliek Collins to the one-technique this year. But you look at Da'Ron Payne like I mentioned.

Vita Vea from Washington -- he's just a freak. He's a unicorn. Guys that are 6-5, 340 [who] have that power that can split double teams ... He's more of a one-technique. At some point you have to realize that adding a talent like that is only going to help your linebackers, it's only going to help your ends. It's going to help everyone else on that defensive line. It's going to free you up to use David Irving as more of a mismatch weapon.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

G Beau Benzschawel from Wisconsin could also be there in the 3rd. He plays RG for Wisconsin but could easily play LG in Dallas and comes from a school that consistently puts out NFL caliber OL.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
from above, possible dallas targets out of rankings' top 32 players:

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
– At 6’1, 230, Roquan Smith effortlessly flies around the field and makes plays in the backfield on a consistent basis. His size, play style, skill set, and projected fit at the next level as a 4-3 WLB makes me think of Tampa Bay’s Lavonte David, who has been one of the NFL’s best linebackers over the last five years. He made the biggest plays in the biggest games, and I think he will be a long-time captain and difference maker for an NFL team.

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
– There are already some people who are afraid of taking a 23-year old wide receiver who will turn 24 in his rookie season, as well as others who don’t like that he is a bit light at 185 pounds, but Calvin Ridley is still the most complete wide receiver prospect to come out in years. He is NFL-ready with his advanced route refinement, reliable hands, competitive toughness, and after the catch explosiveness. Ridley is not as big as this player, but his silky smooth skill set reminds me a ton of Michael Thomas coming out of Ohio State.

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
– When I turned on the tape, I did not expect to see the monster that is Taven Bryan. Most draft forecasters rank him in the second or third round, but he simply dominated every offensive lineman he went up against in 2017, especially with his patented and absolutely filthy push-pull move. He creates disruption on almost every snap with his unreal quickness, as he became a pass rushing phenom this season. In fact, he bends better than most defensive ends in this draft. Bryan does need refinement in lane discipline and his overaggressive style of play, but he has all the tools to be a double-digit sack guy at the defensive tackle position, a feat that is reached by only a handful of players.

Vita Vea, DT, Washington
– What else is there to say about Vita Vea other than the fact that he just mauls dudes at the LOS? I mean, he will take on double teams and throw them to side to make the tackle in the backfield. He is that strong and powerful as a run defender in the middle. As a pass rusher, he moves better than anybody at his size that I can recall. The problems I have with Vea stem from his underdeveloped technique and backfield awareness, but he has all the tools to be one of the league’s most dominant nose tackles.

Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
– Christian Kirk is arguably one of the biggest overall playmakers in this draft, regardless of position. Whenever the ball touches his hands, every play has a legitimate chance of reaching the end zone. Whether it is from the slot, on the outside, or from a punt return, Kirk has the burner speed and quickness that ultimately makes the defense forced to chase a ghost in the open field. At his size at about 5’10-5’11, you wish he ran a full route tree, but his foot quickness and eye manipulation could translate into more crisp routes with more practice. Kirk is going to be an instant difference maker, and I honestly don’t think it matters where it comes from; just give him the ball.

Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
– While he may be undersized, Maurice Hurst was almost unblockable in his career as a Michigan Wolverine. His quickness and hand technique gave interior offensive linemen fits. His motor is always running hot, chasing down plays and screens from the backside on a consistent basis. If Hurst is drafted early, it will be because of his pass rush potential though. He is so disruptive and savvy as an interior rusher, and I think he will be a long-time starter as an under tackle in this league.

Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
– After having a 16.5 sack junior season, Harold Landry endured through an injury-crippled 2017 senior year. Yet, he still attained five sacks in eight games and showed the explosiveness and bend around the corner that was on display in that breakout junior year. Landry is one of the most explosive pass rushers in this class and is a threat to get to the quarterback on each play. Even with the dip in production, I feel confident that Landry can be a double-digit pass rusher and three-down edge defender at the next level.

Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
– Boise State’s version of Sean Lee is the best way to describe the uber-talented linebacker prospect Leighton Vander Esch. His uncanny combination of instincts, stopping power, and reliability in space makes him one of favorite prospects in this class. His best fit is at WLB because of his production in space, but he has the stack and shed ability to play the Mike spot as well. The way he chases down plays from the backside, as well as his reactionary quickness to turn and run with slot receivers mid-route, is something that will get scouts jumping on the table for him in board-setting meetings.

Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
– Alabama junior defensive tackle Da’Ron Payne is a freak of nature when he wants to be. It seems as if he plays up and down to his competition, and he will go invisible for long stretches of games. But his flash plays are evident of one thing: he can be a special player at the next level. Whether it is at the one or three technique, Da’Ron Payne could be both an elite run stopper and productive pass rusher. If a team is willing to bet on his traits and overlook his inconsistent production, he could be one of the steals of this draft.

James Daniels, C, Iowa
– I was intrigued in my casual viewings of Daniels during the regular season, but when he decided to declare as a true junior, I started a deep dive into his tape. What I found was the best run blocker and interior offensive lineman in this class not named Quenton Nelson. His mobility to get to the second level on sweeps and combo blocks is outstanding. He also puts on a clinic with his reach blocks and overall power in the run game. In fact, I think he could also have big-time value at guard in a zone blocking scheme. He needs better pad level in pass protection, but considering his reliability, traits, and production at only 20 years of age, I think Daniels has multiple Pro Bowls in his future as a step-in starter.

Hercules Mata’afa, EDGE, Washington State
– There are some who want to move Hercules Mata’afa inside at the next level because of how Washington State lined him up, but I want to make this clear: Mata’afa is an edge player. He is 245 lbs. with excellent initial quickness and burst off the snap. His disruption in the backfield in run support is one of his biggest strengths, but what goes unnoticed is his bend and explosiveness off of the edge as a pass rusher. Most of Mata’afa’s wins stemmed from his get-off at the LOS, but he can get around offensive tackles with his hands and lower-body flexibility as well. He will have to answer some questions about dropping back in coverage as a potential 3-4 OLB, but his pass rush and edge setting potential is off the charts.

Marcus Davenport, EDGE, UTSA
– The best looking edge defender on the hoof in this class is without a doubt UTSA’s Marcus Davenport. At 6’7, 265, he is able to convert speed to power unlike anyone else in this class. His explosiveness and bend around the arc at that size is something you just don’t find often. The problem is that he is as raw with his technique as you can get. He terrorized opponents with his length and heavy hands as a rusher, but his pad level is atrocious. The same goes for the run game as an edge setter. There is the risk-reward label here, but I’d be more than willing take a chance on a guy with his traits in the first round.

DeShon Elliott, S, Texas
– I am going to be higher on DeShon Elliott than most draft evaluators, but I strongly believe he can be a big time playmaker at the next level. He is an interchangeable safety prospect who can play in the box with his reliable run support skill set and man coverage production, in the deep middle as a centerfielder with his sideline to sideline range, or as a split safety with his excellent instincts and zone awareness in Cover 2/two-man. From a mental processing perspective, Elliott is one of the most NFL-ready prospects in this class. I have questions about his long speed, but he plays faster than he will test because he puts himself in position to make plays on a snap to snap basis.

DJ Moore, WR, Maryland
– He may be 5’9-5’10, but DJ Moore was one of the most feared wide receivers in all of college football in 2017. Moore gets open at will, might have the strongest pair of hands at the catch point, and is a blur in the open field. If Moore were a couple inches taller, he would be a top 10 pick. Whether he plays on the outside or in the slot, I just want to get the ball in his hands and let him do the rest.

Derwin James, S, Florida State
– Derwin James is one of those toolsy prospects that scouts will jump on the table for because of his traits and what he could become at the next level. He is not yet a finished product, and I think his cover skills need a lot of refinement, regardless if it is Zone or Man. Right now, he is a box safety with excellent physicality and elite downhill explosiveness. His angles and instincts are also underdeveloped, but the more you play him forward as a strong safety instead of backward as a centerfielder, James will be more productive. Like Connor Williams, I like the talent, but not the price of admission, which will most likely be in the top half of the first round.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Rueben Foster, the player many Cowboy fans (especially CZers) rued over and said we blew the whole draft by not taking last yr, just got arrested for MJ possession in Alabama.

He also had a diluted urine sample at the combine last year. This after rumors of off field issues throughout his Alabama career.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Pick: WR Christian Kirk, Texas A&M

Another receiver comes off the board in the teens—and this one can fly.

If you watched the Dallas Cowboys down the stretch, you saw how badly they need speed on the outside of the formation. Dez Bryant is on his last legs and might not even be back in Dallas next season. Brice Butler and Terrance Williams are not top options. That makes the selection of at least one receiver a priority in this draft.

Christian Kirk isn't the tallest (5'11", 200 lbs) but he's a compact, exciting, fast receiver who can play in the slot or split out wide. He would give the Cowboys offense an immediate jolt of speed and playmaking ability if he can adapt to the Dallas scheme coming out of Texas A&M.

50. Cowboys: DL Christian Wilkins, Clemson

2018 NFL Mock Draft: Matt Miller's Latest Picks Entering AFC, NFC Title Games | Bleacher Report

If we got the 2nd pick, the first one would not bother me nearly as much.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And you know the draft could easily play out like this. WRs sell jerseys, dominant DTs win games. We know what Jerry's priorities are.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
wilkins looks like would it be a good pick in rnd 2, clemson prints DLineman like jerry prints money

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Got to tell you. Just really do not even care about the draft anymore. We'll either draft lousy talent, or the talent we do draft will just be wasted. Draft more injured players thinking we are getting them on the cheap, or problem players.

Jerry thinking he is the smartest person in the war room, and thinks that his war room is the smartest in the NFL.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Got to tell you. Just really do not even care about the draft anymore. We'll either draft lousy talent, or the talent we do draft will just be wasted. Draft more injured players thin king we are getting them on the cheap, or problem players.

Jerry thinking he is the smartest person in the war room, and thin ks that his war room is the smartest in the NFL.

Even Jerruh cant ruin my enthusiasm over the draft.

Still one of my favorite sports events of any year.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry thinking he is the smartest person in the war room, and thinks that his war room is the smartest in the NFL.
Nothing epitomizes Cowboy futility the last 22 years more than Jerry talking into a telephone with nobody on the other end, while mugging for the war room camera between picks.

Top Bottom