cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My annual list of players that caught my eye the last few years in college. I’m not trying to find the top ten prospects with this exercise; I’m merely picking out players who I think will be spread out throughout the draft and could help the Cowboys. I try to look at pending free agents and recent draft picks. Despite a very good Day One and Day Two of the draft, we still need an elite pass rushing end and a playmaking safety.

Last year’s list:
1st round (4) – Myles Garrett, DE, Browns – Jamal Adams, S, Jets – O.J. Howard, TE, Buccaneers – Jabril Peppers, S, Browns
3rd round (1) – Cooper Kupp, WR, Rams
6th round (1) – Sam Rogers, FB, Rams
UDFA (1) – Jeremy Cutrer, CB, Jaguars
Returned to school (3) – Cameron Echols-Luper (QB/WR/DB/KR, Arkansas State) – Evan Berry (S/KR, Tennessee), & Kyzir White (S, West Virginia)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
10. Kyzir White S West Virginia (6’2”/220)
Bio: Football - WVU Athletics
9691182-ncaa-football-oklahoma-west-virginia-1-850x560.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? SLEEPER ALERT. He reminds me of Kam Chancellor. I started hearing about him in 2015 from different people. One coach told me he’s a more athletic version of his brother Kevin, current Bears WR and the 7th overall pick form the 2015 draft Another coach told me they think he’ll be a better player than West Virginia safety Karl Joseph, the 14th overall pick in 2016. West Virginia DC Tony Gibson predicts this will be a breakout year for Kyzir.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: Started 12 games before missing the Baylor game with a hand injury. He had 58 Tackles, 3 sacks, 7 TFL, and 2 FF. All-Big 12 Second Team.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: October 28th vs Oklahoma State. He should get tested early and often versus Mason Rudolph and the pass-happy Okie State offense.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
9. Casey Tucker T Stanford (6’6”/302)
Bio: http://www.gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=11716
ymaawnndpasegc5j4aof

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? The Cowboys are hoping that Byron Bell, Chaz Green, or Jonathan Cooper can become the 5th starter this year. Remembering that you are only as strong as your weakest link, if the O-Line play takes a step back in 2017, this might become a priority in the off-season. Tucker is a former 5-star recruit who should continue the recent tradition of quality Stanford linemen coming into the NFL.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 27 games, with starts at left and right tackle.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: September 9th at USC. Trojans’ Defensive Coordinator Clancy Pendergast will throw a variety of fronts (4-3, 3-4, 2-5) at the Stanford O-Line to try to neutralize the Cardinals’ power running game.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
8. Jonathan Kongbo DL Tennessee (6’6”/270)
Bio: Jonathan Kongbo Bio - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site
6_4953582.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? When you look at his size he is very similar to Taco Charlton (6’6”/273), but Kongbo is a quick-twitch athlete who can play either end and if he keeps adding size, could be a dangerous 3-Tech. I had the pleasure (misfortune?) of coaching against him while he was at Arizona Western and he embarrassed our D1-bound left tackle.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 12 games, 11 Tackles, 1 Sack, 7 QB Hurries in one year at Tennessee. He had 55 tackles, 16 TFL, and 11 sacks the previous year at Arizona Western.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: October 21st at Alabama. Kongbo is a unique athlete but the Crimson Tide will have three or four former 5-star recruits waiting for him.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
7. Tyrone Wheatley, Jr. TE Michigan (6’6”/276)
Bio: Tyrone Wheatley Bio - Michigan Football - MGoBlue.com
tyrone-wheatley-ncaa-football-michigan-spring-game-850x560.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Jason Witten will be a week away from turning 36 when the 2018 draft concludes. This is a pure projection on Wheatley’s talent since he’s only played 12 games in his 2 years at Michigan, catching just 3 balls, stuck behind Jake Butt. The son of the former Giants running back, Wheatley was the top high school prospect in New York in 2015. He has great size and the Front Office loves their Big10 players.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 12 games, 3 receptions for 35 yards and 1 TD.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: September 2nd vs Florida at the Cowboy’s Classic. Not only is this a great test against an always good Gators defense, but this season opener should be a gage on what Wheatley’s role will be in the Wolverines’ offense.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
6. Armani Watts S Texas A&M (5’11”/200)
Bio: http://12thman.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3971
DJHNAGKRKXHJTAA.201408292008233.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Outside of the versatile Byron Jones, the Cowboys keep looking to the late rounds of the draft to find a safety. Watts is the traditional single-high safety that would allow the Cowboys to line up Jones in the slot or against TE’s where he excels. He will be tested this year with the Aggies losing a ton of talent on defense.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 35 games, 241 Tackles, 1 Sack, 14 TFL, 6 INT, 20 PBU, 4 FF, and 3 FR.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: September 3rd at UCLA. Like last year, the Aggies open against the Bruins but Watts no longer has Myles Garrett and Daeshon Hall to put pressure on Josh Rosen.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
5. Harold Landry DE Boston College (6’3”/250)
Bio: http://www.bceagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7793
8810056-dalvin-cook-ncaa-football-florida-state-boston-college-850x560.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? 2017 1st round pick Taco Charlton should be the Cowboys strongside end for the next several years. On the other side, you have pending free agent Demarcus Lawrence coming off a back injury, Randy Gregory now may never return, and Benson Mayowa, who was a healthy scratch for a few games. Landry led the nation in sacks last year and surprisingly returned to school. I can already hear BC homer Mike Mayock raving on and on about Landry next draft season.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 38 games, 122 Tackles, 21 Sacks, 39 TFL, 1 INT, 10 FF, and 1 FR.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: September 16th vs Notre Dame. It should be a battle between Landry and Notre Dame’s 6’7” tackle Mike McGlinchey.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
4. Courtland Sutton WR SMU (6'4”/215)
Bio: http://smumustangs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1063
sddefault.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Who couldn’t use a 6’4” WR with great hands and hops? Sutton was predicted by many to be a 1st round pick this year, but decided to return to school and focus on football (he also played hoops at SMU). Although Terrance Williams re-signed for 4 years, the Cowboys could still look to upgrade and give Dez Bryant a truly dangerous counterpart.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 26 games, 127 receptions for 2135 yards and 19 TD.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: September 16th at TCU. SMU doesn’t go against too many quality defenses. Gary Patterson and TCU should be his biggest test all year.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
3. Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama (6-1/203)
Bio: http://www.rolltide.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3104
9597304-ncaa-football-alabama-arkansas-850x560.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Most of the draft websites are projecting him as the #1 CB in next year’s draft and he has that kind of talent, but I think his true position is the new nickel/slot safety similar to Tyrann Mathieu. Fitzpatrick made an impact right away for the Crimson Tide defense and already has 4 defensive TD’s in his two years at Alabama.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 29 games, 111 Tackles, 3.5 Sacks, 8.5 TFL, 8 INT, 4 TD, 17 PBU, and 1 FF.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: September 2nd vs Florida State in Atlanta. Deondre Francois and the Seminoles offense will be a great test for the versatile and talented Fitzpatrick.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
2. Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson (6’5”/265)
Bio: Clelin Ferrell Bio - Clemson Tigers Official Athletics Site
USATSI_9780682

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Only 20 years old, Ferrell is a physical pass rusher who might qualify for the dreaded “War Daddy” status that Jerry Jones has stated the team desperately needs. I got to see him up close and he is extremely quick and explosive. He was the Fiesta Bowl MVP and a crucial factor in Clemson’s national championship season. If he keeps progressing at his current rate, the Cowboys would need a Top 10 pick to draft him.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 15 games, 50 Tackles, 6 Sacks, 12.5 TFL, and 24 QB Hurries.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: September 16th at Louisville. Watching Ferrell chase around Louisville’s Heisman quarterback Lamar Jackson should be worth a watch.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1. Derwin James S Florida State (6’3”/211)
Bio: Derwin James Bio - Florida State Seminoles Official Athletic Site
5471f3ce06b64090b813b6c8c82ba996.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? If the Cowboys are in any position to draft him next year, something went horribly wrong. For years, people have compared safety prospects to Sean Taylor, but this kid is the closest I’ve seen. He injured his knee early last season, but is completely healthy now. In this year’s spring game, FSU used him at safety, linebacker, stand up pass rushing end, and punt returner. James is a special athlete and would have been the top safety this past draft if he was healthy and draft eligible.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 14 games in 2 years, 102 Tackles, 4.5 Sacks, 9.5 TFL, 1 INT, 2 FF, and 2 FR.
2017 GAME TO WATCH: Right off the bat on September 2nd vs. Alabama. It’s his first game back since the injury, playing against the Crimson Tide in front of a national audience.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Good read, however, I'm thinking to get Derwin James we'd have to be picking somewhere in the top 10.

Top Bottom